Default Make It 6 In A Row For Yung Muny! This Time Without A Wing

Kyle Larson won the opening event of Indiana Midget Week tonight at Paragon Speedway. He set fast time and a new track record, ran 2nd in his heat and won the A-Main!

If Larson isn't the best dirt racer in the country today I don't know who is!

He is certainly the hottest in the Sprint ranks, incredible talent behind the wheel. So dang impressive.

LMM

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    He is certainly the hottest in the Sprint ranks, incredible talent behind the wheel. So dang impressive.

LMM
    Mark, he's 9 for 9 in his last 9 starts in a midget going back to last year. In all the years I've followed dirt racing, which is a long time, I don't remember a guy that has won like Larson is winning these days. NASCAR's loss is dirt racing's gain.

7 in a row now after last night

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    7 in a row now after last night
    Yep, that includes 3 different sanctions and 2 different disciplines of race cars. However, sweeping the past 9 midget races that Larson has competed in is probably the most remarkable accomplishment. I think the wins back last November in California were in his own car, and of course the indoor races were his own car but he's running Indiana Midget Week in a Tucker-Boat owned car. It seems not to make much difference who owns the car or what chassis/engine combination he's driving!

I firmly believe we're witnessing one of the great performances by a driver in modern dirt racing history!

PA Speedweek coming up next, followed by OH Speedweek, i wonder what the over/under is for his wins this next month??
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaf67 View Post
    PA Speedweek coming up next, followed by OH Speedweek, i wonder what the over/under is for his wins this next month??
    Those guys that comprise the Pennsylvania Posse are some tough hombre's! Larson and Silva will make their presence known but the wins will be tough to get!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Those guys that comprise the Pennsylvania Posse are some tough hombre's! Larson and Silva will make their presence known but the wins will be tough to get!
    He scored 3 wins a row in row vs them in 2017 (after 2 in a row with allstars) before his nascar duties called him away. This isnt his first undefeated streak, but surpasses that one in number and variants.

Posse embraced him then, we'll see if the love continues when he doesnt get called away this year. Sprint car fans love a winner, but only for so long.. i.e. Steve Kinser and Donnie Shatz
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

Put him in a 100 lap late model race and see what he can do

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Put him in a 100 lap late model race and see what he can do
    What would indicate Larson couldn't be a stand out in those type of races?

I watched Larson put on a clinic in a 100 mile USAC Silver Crown race on a 1 mile dirt track at Du Quoin, Illinois. It's the second most dominant performance I've ever seen on a 1 mile dirt track. I also watched Larson win the 98 lap Turkey Night Grand Prix at Perris, California back in November of 2012 and he was flawless in the manner with which he conserved his right rear and his car in general. He has no short comings in the longer dirt races. I know that because I've seen him win 2 of them!

It's puzzling as to where the train of thought comes from that some so adamantly espouse to that it requires some sort of magical, mystical talent, skill and bravery to be competitive enough to win a 100 lap race in a dirt late model. I've been to literally dozens of 100 lap dirt late model races at several different tracks (Eldora, Macon, Fairbury, Peoria, IL, Santa Fe Speedway which was 200 laps) and it would appear that the same tactics are used to win those races as Larson used to win at Du Quoin driving a Silver Crown car in dominant fashion and at Perris in the midget.

I've been told by a gentleman who, during his record setting career, won 10 Silver Crown races on 1 mile dirt tracks and also ran decent on more than one occasion at Eldora in a dirt late model in a 100 lap race. He said he had to strategize both in much the same fashion. He also said dirt late models are much more about set-up than driver prowess. I'm confident that given a winning set-up Yung Muny would kick ass in a 100 lap dirt late model race, too!

I found this to be interesting.

Unreal how good Larson is. I want to see him run Eldora or Fairbury in a late model. No doubt in my mind, he would be competitive.

I'm just guessing but I would think Larson would find dirt late models to be big, heavy and relatively unresponsive as compared to the lighter, more powerful and much more agile open wheel cars. You can get away with beating and banging guys out of the way in a dirt late with very little danger to life and limb. I truly believe he'd be a wild man in a car that provides a degree of added physical protection as a dirt late model on a bull ring. The cars he's best in can hurt a driver in a blink of an eye.

Kyle Larson is quite possibly the best all around driver on dirt I personally have ever seen. It's incredible what he can do in a race car! And even more importantly, by all accounts he's a good guy, a good dad and pretty much a class act as well as being a clean driver.
    Last edited by CIRF; 06-18-2020 at 11:02 PM.