Default Gorsuch 6 blade MaxAir fan?

Any thoughts or experience with the Gorsuch 6 blade max air fan? Pros? Cons?

https://gorsuchperformancesolutions....ir-6-blade-fan

No but for that money i would get a race fan. They are configurable and you can change blades if one gets damaged

Yeah I currently have the 19" race fan and a GM 4 blade. Car has been getting hotter this year and looking to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    Yeah I currently have the 19" race fan and a GM 4 blade. Car has been getting hotter this year and looking to fix that.
    If your car is getting hot with a gm 4blade or a race fan with at least 4blades you probably need to look elsewhere. Shroud, radiator condition, jetting, overly tight on throttle especially if it's a crate

Got the 17" version on the new car that hasn't seen the track yet 'cause we've been dragging our feet finishing it up with the few opportunities (4) we've had to run with this Mexican beer virus thing. Did run it in a test session in the shop on the older car a few months ago and it did well so we're optimistic what it will do on the track.
    Appears to be well built and it's not overpriced compared to some others. We also hope it doesn't suck off horsepower like the famous GM piece that is getting harder to find and isn't all that durable.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Got the 17" version on the new car that hasn't seen the track yet 'cause we've been dragging our feet finishing it up with the few opportunities (4) we've had to run with this Mexican beer virus thing. Did run it in a test session in the shop on the older car a few months ago and it did well so we're optimistic what it will do on the track. Appears to be well built and it's not overpriced compared to some others. We also hope it doesn't suck off horsepower like the famous GM piece that is getting harder to find and isn't all that durable.
    i don't think Their are any free rides when it comes to moving air. Doesent matter what brand or design of it moves the same amount of air its robbing the same amount of horsepower

After having a Race fan explode in the shop, we switched to Gorsuch. They work awesome. Been on them for 2 seasons and the temps have been lower than any other fan we have used even on hot muggy nights.
    A droop rule is like infield tractor tires, everyone knows it's stupid, but they still keep doing it.

Thanks for the replies. I ordered one and it is supposed to be here today or tomorrow. I'll try it Friday night and if I like it I'll order another for the other car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    If your car is getting hot with a gm 4blade or a race fan with at least 4blades you probably need to look elsewhere. Shroud, radiator condition, jetting, overly tight on throttle especially if it's a crate
    Yep,I'll bet its likely the rad needs cleaned externally or replaced.

The tests we ran were all on the same engine, a pretty good new one around 580 Horse, same shrouds we build, a new FSR 3 pass radiator, Stewart Phase 3 water pump same jetting, exterior temps, etc. Tried a bunch of fans from the P.O.S. Jones 3 blade to the Gorsuch, some 17" GM copies, and on and on. Couldn't try the true GM 19" four blade as there's not enough room in that car plus I've always been a little squeamish about stock passenger car stuff being asked to turn 7,800 r.p.m. all night.
    Not a real scientific test and no dyno but the Gorsuch appeared to be the best. Jking may very well be right about h.p. loss per air moved but I keep thinking about the Engine Masters video showing 35-40 h.p. lost with the GM and just hope he isn't right. That's a lot of expensive power to lose.

The 19” gm fan is an awesome piece for moving a TON of air. We didn’t notice any lack of power with our 358 limited motor (500ish hp) when switching to it from a 15” fan, but they sure are heavy! Maybe more noticeable in a crate? It’s unfortunate that there isn’t a true replica out there that is stronger, lighter, moves as much air, and at this point is just available. I see the ads for the carbon version, but I have yet to see one in use anywhere.

The tests we ran were all on the same engine, a pretty good new one around 580 Horse, same shrouds we build, a new FSR 3 pass radiator, Stewart Phase 3 water pump same jetting, exterior temps, etc. Tried a bunch of fans from the P.O.S. Jones 3 blade to the Gorsuch, some 17" GM copies, and on and on. Couldn't try the true GM 19" four blade as there's not enough room in that car plus I've always been a little squeamish about stock passenger car stuff being asked to turn 7,800 r.p.m. all night. Not a real scientific test and no dyno but the Gorsuch appeared to be the best. Jking may very well be right about h.p. loss per air moved but I keep thinking about the Engine Masters video showing 35-40 h.p. lost with the GM and just hope he isn't right. That's a lot of expensive power to lose.
    The good news is everybody has to give that horsepower up so it's still a pretty equal playing feild if everyone runs the same type of fuel

The Allstar fan is a direct copy and moves the same amount of air as a GM 19" fan

Curt Drake
    #55sr

The tests we ran were all on the same engine, a pretty good new one around 580 Horse, same shrouds we build, a new FSR 3 pass radiator, Stewart Phase 3 water pump same jetting, exterior temps, etc. Tried a bunch of fans from the P.O.S. Jones 3 blade to the Gorsuch, some 17" GM copies, and on and on. Couldn't try the true GM 19" four blade as there's not enough room in that car plus I've always been a little squeamish about stock passenger car stuff being asked to turn 7,800 r.p.m. all night. Not a real scientific test and no dyno but the Gorsuch appeared to be the best. Jking may very well be right about h.p. loss per air moved but I keep thinking about the Engine Masters video showing 35-40 h.p. lost with the GM and just hope he isn't right. That's a lot of expensive power to lose.
    So what made the Gorsuch appear to be the best??

Ran all the fans we tried for 10-15 minutes at speeds from a fast idle ( 2,000 rpm), then for another 10-15 minutes at 4,500rpm and finally at from 5000-6,500 for another like period. The Jones and one no name 4 blade would climb to 200+ in less than 8 minutes at the 2 grand mark and never made past 5 minutes at 4,500 without reaching 225 and we didn't test those 2 at the 5 grand plus mark.

Some of the house brand 4 and one 6 blade fan fared a little better, all from the major parts joints in the U.S., Speedway, Jeg's, Summit, etc. One of the 4 blade and the 6 blade did the best of the bunch, generally not getting past 185 on the slow tests, 200-210 on the intermediate speed and taking longer to get to the I-don't- like- this temp zones pushing 225-230 at the fast speeds.

The Gorsuch, by far, did the best of any of near dozen we tested. At 2,000 it probably would have fast idled all day and never got past 180, Intermediate speed test showed 190 after 15 minutes and the high speed test at end was 200 barely. I was supposed to have a Race Fan brought over by a friend but he flaked and I really wanted to try one so was disappointed.

All the tests were on 110 Sunoco gasoline in a 60 degree shop in early spring with about 45 % humidity and the engine was brought up to 130 degrees when we started the tests. One to one pullies, no restrictors or thermostats, same 12.9 compression engine and a 650 two barrel carb. 'Bout half our races are on a 2 barrel and half on a 4 barrel as we travel quite a bit, or did before this year's messed up schedules. Built 1 new and freshened 2 engines over the winter and one car was ready so we had time to play for a weekend with this. As I said it wasn't very scientific but more real world testing we were after and we were happy with what we learned and about anybody can do this.
    Last edited by over4T; 07-02-2020 at 12:11 AM. Reason: punctuation

Interesting results, not surprising at 17". A factor is no load on engine, power enrichment circuit of carb very likely not fattening up the mixture without any load on it. Aluminum, cast iron, or mix of engine components? Were you running a serp or HTD belt? The only fan that I know of in 17" that is any seriousl competition for the Gorsuch is the Race Fan (and the Jones hubed copy).

All iron 385, standard belts; not serpentine, flat tappet mechanical cam as some places don't allow rollers. I've built a ton of these and have a pretty good idea of what combinations work the best. One difficulty we had was finding a cam that worked well with the carbs we are forced to run at some tracks, anything from gage legal 500 2 barrels to open 4 barrels.
    As some tracks allow alky and others don't that could be a problem too so we just stick with the 110-112 gas. Head sizes took a couple of seasons to sort out too with the different carb combos.
    Certainly, no load conditions are very different from our usual July/August weather with several nights over 100 degrees (but it's a dry heat) and that's our main focus to try and stay at a reasonable temp during that (usually) busy time of the season.
    Our Tri State Pro Stock Challenge tour is something we'd planned on being our major effort this year but it's looking more likely to be a Bi State deal with California and Nevada sort of in and Oregon's prospects of opening up looking dimmer each day. But we go about anywhere they'll have us and regularly run top 3 most of the time with a few scattered wins. Don't seriously chase points, just well paying shows at interesting and/or new tracks.

So say I for example run an Allstar 6 blade 15” (15 is all that will fit in this car). I need to keep the same size. Not sure the Allstar is cutting it. Should I go with a Race Fan 6 blade 4 blade or what? What would cool my modified better? HP loss isn’t an issue we have way to much anyways lol

I have always preferred building a really nice shroud first, second, I like to add a small piece of aluminum sheet to the very bottom of the radiator, this piece needs to be long enough to hang down below the nose piece at least one and a half inches. Third and last solution would be to switch to a fan that moves more air. All this assumes that you are already running one to one pulleys and a four blade GM fan or a copy of this fan. This has always worked for us. I have solved overheating problems on other peoples cars just by removing a very restrictive but attractive water neck restrictor plate...either in anodized blue, or anodized red. Stewart Components says that a water neck restrictor plate is seldom necessary, but I have found that many people buy into the fact that one can move water through a block and radiator too quickly for said water to cool....I do not believe this, and neither does Stewart Components.

ran it last night on an IMCA spec engine and I am very happy I bought it. 190 during the race and down to 160 by the time o parked at my trailer.Glad I bought a 2nd one to put in the open motor car.