Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Zero Index?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,724

    Default Zero Index?

    What is it actually? LOL i know...

    Seriously thou, in my mind it is the lower shock swivel / bolt, drops in a linear fashion. So the wheel drops 4" (Whatever) and that bolt drops the same amount, in a linear fashion. So no duration / exponential movement in that travel, it lowers the same 4".

    But from what i see on these new cars, that is not possible.

    I was working on a Car that the LR lower, was in the bottom hole, and the LR top was in the 2nd from top. 30" or better of spread, but the birdcage was straight up and down at full droop, and he called it zero index, and i thought that is not zero index. Because at ride height that cage it going clock wise big time, and de-wedging the car !

    Finally got a good look at a XR1, same thing, that upper bar on the LR is crazy steep at full droop.

    So what is it?

    Just say no...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Batavia, OH
    Posts
    10,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    What is it actually? LOL i know...

    Seriously thou, in my mind it is the lower shock swivel / bolt, drops in a linear fashion. So the wheel drops 4" (Whatever) and that bolt drops the same amount, in a linear fashion. So no duration / exponential movement in that travel, it lowers the same 4".

    But from what i see on these new cars, that is not possible.

    I was working on a Car that the LR lower, was in the bottom hole, and the LR top was in the 2nd from top. 30" or better of spread, but the birdcage was straight up and down at full droop, and he called it zero index, and i thought that is not zero index. Because at ride height that cage it going clock wise big time, and de-wedging the car !

    Finally got a good look at a XR1, same thing, that upper bar on the LR is crazy steep at full droop.

    So what is it?
    True zero index would be no dynamic rotation. Whoever got this term going is an idiot. It should be called don't overindex, or index to 0, or something like that.
    Droop isn't the problem.

    Arizona Speedway-2. Ohio Valley-1
    East Bay-2. Lawrenceburg-1
    All-Tech-1
    Volusia-1
    Jackson -3
    Mudlick -1
    Moler -1
    Atomic-1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    True zero index would be no dynamic rotation. Whoever got this term going is an idiot. It should be called don't overindex, or index to 0, or something like that.
    Exactly most of the zero setups just alter cage timing (start and stop point) they don't change the indexing rate at all. Their are a few people out their doing that but I've not seen anything to prove it to be better. That is the true zero index witch would be equal bar lengths as close as possible to parallel to each other.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    I tried it with our Swartz car, equal length bars, parallel, worked well but i couldn't except one thing that hurt the car. Lesson learned i guess.

    Anyway, so its not me on the zero index conspiracy, i thought i was the odd one out on that deal, but i guess guest zero index at full droop is close enough LOL.

    Just say no...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Sometimes things are called a misleading name for a reason, so when your talking about it people that overhear have no idea what your talking about or misleads them to what your doing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Batavia, OH
    Posts
    10,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    I tried it with our Swartz car, equal length bars, parallel, worked well but i couldn't except one thing that hurt the car. Lesson learned i guess.

    Anyway, so its not me on the zero index conspiracy, i thought i was the odd one out on that deal, but i guess guest zero index at full droop is close enough LOL.
    I tried it a bit in 2017. Sucked.
    Droop isn't the problem.

    Arizona Speedway-2. Ohio Valley-1
    East Bay-2. Lawrenceburg-1
    All-Tech-1
    Volusia-1
    Jackson -3
    Mudlick -1
    Moler -1
    Atomic-1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,529

    Default

    What about the CPT birdcage and altering the mounting position of the trailing arms?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    We're on the Wehrs version, it helps but zero index thru travel is not attainable.

    Although, it helps in a way. At ride the BC indexes away from the spring, so all your extended load, and further spring compression from full droop actually indexes off some of that force, and the car will sit down at ride, to clear tech. Its not much, but at ride the BC is inclined enough to help.

    Just say no...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    The way it's explained on Race Know How is the birdcage simply has a set of extra holes which allow the LR bars to be adjusted to zero bind at full droop.

    Nothing more.

    Don't shoot the messenger.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,529

    Default

    [QUOTE=Krooser;2332471]The way it's explained on Race Know How is the birdcage simply has a set of extra holes which allow the LR bars to be adjusted to zero bind at full droop.

    Nothing more.

    Don't shoot the messenger, UNLESS HE DIDNT RELAY THE WHOLE MESSAGE!


    ......and alter the position of the trailing arms!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.