Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blue Ridge Late Models running pavement

https://www.facebook.com/BLUERIDGELATEMODELS/ interesting (I would like to see this) Any thoughts on how well the dirt cars do on the hard surface? I have not see this before.

They do okay. Seen it several times. Now if someone would put up real money, we could get Pollard there, he could show them the way!

Quote Originally Posted by nc mudcat View Post
    They do okay. Seen it several times. Now if someone would put up real money, we could get Pollard there, he could show them the way!
    I can definitely smell what your cookin here! I'm so wanting to see Bubba run a dirt SLM against Lucas Oil or WOO talent

We did several back in the early 2000s with SAS. There are a few on Youtube. RJ and Head were the guys to beat along with asphalt ace Keith Kahela

Saw a couple races at ACE speedway after it paved, but it wasn't great. I think the guys racing had no asphalt experience, and they only did it a time or two, so they weren't really able to figure it out. I would suggest they do 3 or 4 and see what kind of improvement takes place. I can't imagine many tracks being willing though; everyone is too stuck on the late model stocks being the main event, I don't think most would want the dirt cars.

411 Motor Speedway used to be asphalt and I watched a video of Owens winning a race there back probably at least 12-14 years ago. It was interesting to see how the dirt cars ran around there.

Ran Hawkeye Downs with the dirt late models after it was paved. Different experience for sure (one time we used dirt tires as well); Rollie Frink put on the best show, sideways the whole time! A few of the pavement guys (ASA and Artgo) who showed up left, couldn't keep up with their 9:1 engines at the time (also heard them say the dirt drivers were to crazy for them)....

I attended one of the Deery Brothers races at Hawkeye Downs, and the cars were indeed running dirt tires that night. From my vantage point as "just a fan in the stands", it looked like the tires had more grip than the track would take. One car drove into turn 1 too hard, and when the back end starting coming around, the car just rolled right over.

The speeds at the end of the front stretch were interesting to see. I recall the 12 of Ray Guss having a very slight "bounce" to it as it reached the end of the straight, from the speed (like a boat going over some small ripples). Not that Guss's tires were leaving the ground, rather the entire suspension just looked to be moving up and down quite a bit on all 4 corners of the car. I can't imagine that was a real comfortable feeling as he entered turn 1....
    Last edited by dirt33; 07-07-2020 at 12:39 PM.

I think it was 1990, by the time the car was back to the trailer you could almost put your hand through the tire (wore it down through the cords in 25 laps). Can't remember who won (may have been Frink), but I believe we finished third. The do remember the side bite was huge, we through as much stagger at the car as we could get.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    I think it was 1990, by the time the car was back to the trailer you could almost put your hand through the tire (wore it down through the cords in 25 laps). Can't remember who won (may have been Frink), but I believe we finished third. The do remember the side bite was huge, we through as much stagger at the car as we could get.
    . I would think the tire compound would need to be a little different

It was on the old EC2 McCreary tires, and 25 laps was all they would last. Using the pavement tires was a much better plan (and that is what the Blue Ridge are doing).

It was on the old EC2 McCreary tires, and 25 laps was all they would last. Using the pavement tires was a much better plan (and that is what the Blue Ridge are doing).
    Good to know. Thanks. It seems like that is a well run series. I enjoyed the race at East Lincoln.

Someone please set me straight if I'm mistaken but I believe back in the late 1980's the first year or two that Volusia County was paved they ran the dirt late's on the pavement there during February Speed Weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Someone please set me straight if I'm mistaken but I believe back in the late 1980's the first year or two that Volusia County was paved they ran the dirt late's on the pavement there during February Speed Weeks.
    You are correct. 1990 was my first Florida Speedweeks. Freddy Smith had the LA Gear car there. I remember a guy named Larry Zent was tough that week.

The Blue Ridge is a good local series that helps keep the cost down, wish I could make it down to the pavement show. As for Volusia, not sure about running on the pavement but do remember they built a small dirt track next to the paved track and ran a few years on it (before switching and paving the small track, putting dirt back on the big track). Watched dirt late models on the big track and the winged super modifieds on the small track one year.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Yep, one of my best memories of Jeff Purvis coming from the tail to win!

BROLM have run 4 races this year, and 4 different engine combinations have won; great series.

They make it somewh@t affordable for normal folks

I think Langley is gonna do it pretty soon. Mark Wertz is driving a car part time at Dixieland splitting seat time with McSling and their promoter is racing late models with our guys my friends tell me. I think there may also be an LMSC race at Dixieland on the horizon. Too soon to tell. Plus I'm not home. I don't know if Langley has even had a race this season yet.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

As for Volusia, not sure about running on the pavement but do remember they built a small dirt track next to the paved track and ran a few years on it (before switching and paving the small track, putting dirt back on the big track). Watched dirt late models on the big track and the winged super modifieds on the small track one year.
    When the small track was dirt and the big track was paved at Volusia ticket buyers could go back and forth from one track to the other with one ticket. The northeast asphalt super modified's raced on the paved 1/2 mile and we'd walk over to the paved track during down time at the dirt track. We've never been much for short track asphalt racing but those cars were the most wicked fast, and some of the most beautiful, race cars we've ever seen. The power to weight ratio was close to that of F1 cars!