Default Ponderosa/Lake Cumberland Question

Does either track have a curfew ? Any other info I need to know before going ?

1. Neither track has a curfew. 2. Don't set your expectations too high as far as facilities go.

Thanks Finnfan, as long as the racing is good I’ll be happy. Anything else I might need to know before going next weekend ?

Don't expect much... From facilities to car counts...other than that...you good...

If you're planning on sitting in the grandstands, take some sort of padding, preferably a stadium type seat with a back. Don't go to either track hungry, long concession lines and typical "middle-of-the-road" racetrack food/snacks. Both tracks are in rural areas (but not too hard to find), but luckily both tracks sit just off major highways only 6-8 miles south of good sized cities with all the amenities. For Ponderosa, come in from the North on Hwy 127 so you'll come through Danville. Plenty of places to eat and shop at the typical WalMart-Lowes intersection of Hwy's 127-150, and you're 15 minutes from the track. For LCS, also come in from the North on Hwy 27 so you'll be traveling through Somerset where there's anything you need up and down (four lane) 27. At the WalMart-Lowes stoplight in Somerset, you're about 20-25 minutes from the track (depending on traffic). If you come in from the South to either track, you'll be in miles and miles of typical rural area, with the occasional convenient mart. Good luck, but it does seem like you're going by a lot of really good tracks between these two and Mississippi...are you perhaps just visiting the area? I only say that because I wouldn't normally recommend visiting these two tracks for regular race nights if the drive was much over an hour, and that would be pushing it...IMO...

I wouldn't put much stock in these two prima-donnas complaining about the facilities. Both tracks are in good shape, no they don't have golden toilets or lazy-boys to sit in... but they are just fine. Ponderosa has some of the best seating of any track, bring a camp chair and sit back and relax and enjoy the show. Lake Cumberland Speedway has typical race track seating. Bring a cushion or stadium seat for your comfort. LCS seating sits up almost over the front stretch so you can see the cars completely (not just the roofs going by). Both tracks have your standard concession fare, but I don't know many people who go to the races for their dinner. Ponderosa Speedway is near Danville, KY and they have just about any sort of chain restaurant you might desire. Lake Cumberland Speedway is in a tourist town and Somerset has plenty of local and chain restaurants. I recommend Get Your Smoke On BBQ in Somerset, or the Eubank Pizza at the US27/914 intersection before you get to Burnside (the small community LCS is located in). Both are open for carry out right now, get yourself a good meal and tail gate at the track before the races. Lake Cumberland Speedway has one of the smoothest tracks in the state right now, it was just resurfaced and it has been fantastic so far for weekly racing. There are probably 20 Super Late Model teams within an hour of both tracks so you will most likely see 20-30 cars at both races that weekend for the back to back special events. LCS will most likely have a larger car count because they typically pull a few TN teams up from the south. Both tracks are hammer down bull ring tracks. Ponderosa is almost a complete circle, and LCS has a very unique turn 1-2 area that makes for some great racing. Both tracks are typically done by midnight on special events. They keep things moving, and you don't have to worry about a ton of down time. They will typically hot/lap qualify the support classes on bigger shows cutting out a lot of wasted time. LCS does have a 100 lap hobby stock special event to go with the Wheeler Memorial Saturday, but they will run that event last so you can stay for it or check out prior. Both tracks spend all week prepping their tracks for the special events, and you generally won't have to worry about any dust. You will enjoy yourself, and probably see some great side by side racing. Enjoy your time in the state of KY!

I have been to Ponderosa Speedway,and I have been to Somerset to the Somernites Cruise they have monthly. The Pond was a little rudimentary facility-wise,but the racing was pretty good. We went there after the cancelled Eldora Million. We did drive out to LCS when we were there,but we didn't go to the races because of the cruise night.

Somerset has more "stuff" than just about any town it's size I've ever seen. Plenty of places to eat for sure. The Lake is beautiful as well.
    Formerly 66#1

Quote Originally Posted by Finnfan25 View Post
    If you're planning on sitting in the grandstands, take some sort of padding, preferably a stadium type seat with a back. Don't go to either track hungry, long concession lines and typical "middle-of-the-road" racetrack food/snacks. Both tracks are in rural areas (but not too hard to find), but luckily both tracks sit just off major highways only 6-8 miles south of good sized cities with all the amenities. For Ponderosa, come in from the North on Hwy 127 so you'll come through Danville. Plenty of places to eat and shop at the typical WalMart-Lowes intersection of Hwy's 127-150, and you're 15 minutes from the track. For LCS, also come in from the North on Hwy 27 so you'll be traveling through Somerset where there's anything you need up and down (four lane) 27. At the WalMart-Lowes stoplight in Somerset, you're about 20-25 minutes from the track (depending on traffic). If you come in from the South to either track, you'll be in miles and miles of typical rural area, with the occasional convenient mart. Good luck, but it does seem like you're going by a lot of really good tracks between these two and Mississippi...are you perhaps just visiting the area? I only say that because I wouldn't normally recommend visiting these two tracks for regular race nights if the drive was much over an hour, and that would be pushing it...IMO...
    Yes sir just out visiting new tracks we’ve never been to before and seen the opportunity to hit 2 new tracks relatively close together in a single weekend

Thanks guys for the info