Default Concave air cleaner top

What do the concave air cleaner tops like Mcreadie is running do compared to the standard convex top?

I haven't seen it but it looks like he runs a 5" filter witch alot of guys don't anymore. If so alot of guys run a flat top for better visibility

Certainly makes you wonder...... the 39 has arguably the smartest guy in the pits working on his car, and he has by far the biggest and furthest sticking out air filter. No way its for aero reasons.... right??

decoy maybe ????????

Gets the incoming air turning downward towards the carb for a better flow pattern with less turbulence inside the air cleaner. No proof just guessing

That's my guess also. I watched engine masters and they made more hp with a salad bowl on carb directing the airflow down

I see, anyone know where to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by XRNone View Post
    I see, anyone know where to get one?
    A salad bowl ?

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    A salad bowl ?
    they literally took a big stainless steel salad bowl cut a hole in it and put it on top the carburetor just to demonstrate that anything that could help straighten the air going into the carburetor can help make power

Fuel injection is more better

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    A salad bowl ?
    Sorry for the lack of Specificity... I was meaning the air cleaner housing McCreadie runs.

When you narrow a passage that carries airflow, usually the airflow past the restriction will be at an increased velocity when compared to the air before the restriction. Also, air flows through a gently sloped turn flows much better than it flows through and abrupt 90 degree turn. Remember the 1996-2000(may not be the exact years) gm truck heads that we all call "vortec heads"???? One of the things that makes these heads so special among stock gm heads is the fact that the intake port has a "ski slope shape" at the turn. Most of the heads before these had a very abrupt turn about half way down the intake port. Theese heads also had a uniquely shaped combustion bowl, along with a spark plug placement that differed from earlier heads. These heads make big torque numbers in the midrange, something like 1500-5000 rpm range, and these big numbers are said to be because of the improved air flow that the intake port delivers.
    Last edited by dirtdobberrr; 07-30-2020 at 07:26 PM.