Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

What about Pittsburgh?? I’m not quite sure but I believe Ed lynch jr held the record at 147 mph average for a sprint car there ??

A top late model driver told me that Tazwell gives you the most sensation of speed

PPMS is usually slicker than whale snot, but on the rare occasions it actually has “lots of tack, she’s bad fast.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    CIRF, what about the old moody mile at Syracuse during Super Dirt Week, the WoO boys ran there as well and I think I recall 170+ was achieved there.

LMM
    Yep, I've read that the NYSP had some of the WoO sprint cars running near or above 170 MPH at the end of the straightaway at The Moody Mile.

Mark, IIRC Billy Pauch's record lap in a WoO sprint car at Syracuse is a little over 1/2 MPH slower than Sammy's Springfield record. As I mentioned earlier, by all accounts, Springfield is a couple hundred feet longer than a mile and if that's the case the average lap speed would mathematically be a bit higher than the 145.637 MPH that is used as Sammy's benchmark speed. Don't know what the official measurement was for the Syracuse Mile, I presume it was considered 5280".

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Yep, I've read that the NYSP had some of the WoO sprint cars running near or above 170 MPH at the end of the straightaway at The Moody Mile.

Mark, IIRC Billy Pauch's record lap in a WoO sprint car at Syracuse is a little over 1/2 MPH slower than Sammy's Springfield record. As I mentioned earlier, by all accounts, Springfield is a couple hundred feet longer than a mile and if that's the case the average lap speed would mathematically be a bit higher than the 145.637 MPH that is used as Sammy's benchmark speed. Don't know what the official measurement was for the Syracuse Mile, I presume it was considered 5280".
    I’m pretty sure Syracuse was a true mile.

I totally agree with CIRF. I had a USAC midget team in 2007, Brad Kuhn drove for me.We came from the B main to finish 3rd at Belleville that year. The speeds there in a midget are crazy. I remember standing on the infield in turn 3 just thinking 'wow'. Getting towed out of the infield after the meeting due to the rain was pretty exciting too,lol.

I'm sure you're correct, Josh.

The eccentricities of the Syracuse Mile and it's menacing narrowness made Pauch's lap even more spectacular despite it being a tick slower than Sammy's at Springfield. I remember Sammy's lap very well and he looked as if he was on a Sunday drive and comfortable as could be. I know it didn't look like that from Sammy's perspective but that's how it looked from the grandstand.

The WoO sprint cars ran during Super Dirt Week several years and those races were, for the most part, not marred by all that many crashes. I reckon there was more respect shown for the track and the speeds and for each other than some other shorter, not as fast, venue's.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I'm sure you're correct, Josh.

The eccentricities of the Syracuse Mile and it's menacing narrowness made Pauch's lap even more spectacular despite it being a tick slower than Sammy's at Springfield. I remember Sammy's lap very well and he looked as if he was on a Sunday drive and comfortable as could be. I know it didn't look like that from Sammy's perspective but that's how it looked from the grandstand.

The WoO sprint cars ran during Super Dirt Week several years and those races were, for the most part, not marred by all that many crashes. I reckon there was more respect shown for the track and the speeds and for each other than some other shorter, not as fast, venue's.
    Fun fact about Pauch’s lap at Syracuse. He never cared for the mile, and liked it even less in the sprinter.

The last year the WoO ran the mile, it sent a couple guys to the hospital, that’s why they stopped running 410s there. They flirted with the idea of returning to the mile in the last few years of SDW there. They brought a few 410s over from Rolling Wheels and had em run some hot laps. They weren’t as fast as they were back in the 90s, but I don’t think anybody had the right setup in their stuff and they weren’t really pushing it all that hard.

It would be interesting to see the WoO maybe return to the new SDW at Oswego. They’d almost assuredly get more cars willing to run the show then they did for the mile.

Greg Lucas always told me when they went to golden isles or brush creek, they had to replace the rivets in the bodies with bolts because they were so fast it would shake the rivets loose and fall out.

The Atomic track record is 10.91 in a sprint car at around 123 mph lap average. Jimmy Owens ran a 12.72 there a few years back in a late model. Seems pretty fast for a 3/8 mile track.

The moody mile... everyone gave guys room in turn 2 exiting to the backstretch. It was like driving into a funnel and it made things really interesting. Most WoO sprint car guys didn't miss that race and rightfully so. Bayko, I don't know if you could run the sprint cars at Oswego ? I've seen the super mods there, twice, and there crazy fast. I've watched SDW on speeds port and boy they just can't seem to get that clay smooth. The mods bounce through the corners and they look like guys are riding bronco's.

Quote Originally Posted by mstew75 View Post
    Pure MPH Springfield mile. When they put dirt over Bristol that was very fast too.
    I've talked to guys that ran that bristol deal, they all were worried about the cars not being safe enough at the time, and they said the speeds were extremely fast,

For a 1/2 mile Volusia Speedway Park is right up there for sprints

Blackmagic5, I'm pretty sure jack sodeman set a new track record a year or 2 ago at Pittsburgh

Originally Posted by Josh Bayko Fun fact about Pauch’s lap at Syracuse. He never cared for the mile, and liked it even less in the sprinter.

The last year the WoO ran the mile, it sent a couple guys to the hospital, that’s why they stopped running 410s there. They flirted with the idea of returning to the mile in the last few years of SDW there. They brought a few 410s over from Rolling Wheels and had em run some hot laps. They weren’t as fast as they were back in the 90s, but I don’t think anybody had the right setup in their stuff and they weren’t really pushing it all that hard.

It would be interesting to see the WoO maybe return to the new SDW at Oswego. They’d almost assuredly get more cars willing to run the show then they did for the mile.
    I can't say as I blame Pauch for his trepidation's concerning racing a 410 sprint car at Syracuse. "Moody Mile" was a fitting nickname for Syracuse.

Didn't Pauch get a ride in a USAC Silver Crown car when that division ran Syracuse during SDW? The Crown cars only ran at 'Cuse during SDW a couple of times and a some of the Crown drivers who were good on the miles and liked racing on them didn't particularly enjoy Syracuse.

Back in 1998, the one and only time the WoO's ran Springfield, Mark Kinser was driving for his dad Carl at that time. The season points championship came down to Steve Kinser and Mark ending up 1 & 2 respectively in the final points tally. Neither Carl & Mark or Steve showed up at Springfield. Carl was quite outspoken concerning his decision to stay away from Springfield despite losing points. Carl said point bland that the WoO's sprint cars had no business on any mile, let alone Springfield, the fastest dirt track in the world. Steve Kinser obviously wasn't comfortable with the mile, either. That kinda' surprised a lot of people. Steve was famous for his fearless, tough guy persona.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    The moody mile... everyone gave guys room in turn 2 exiting to the backstretch. It was like driving into a funnel and it made things really interesting. Most WoO sprint car guys didn't miss that race and rightfully so. Bayko, I don't know if you could run the sprint cars at Oswego ? I've seen the super mods there, twice, and there crazy fast. I've watched SDW on speeds port and boy they just can't seem to get that clay smooth. The mods bounce through the corners and they look like guys are riding bronco's.
    Last year was quite smooth for SDW. Black slick, but that’s to be expected when you put that many laps on a track in a week.

The first year was a mess because they watered the piss out of it, and then it rained on top of that, so it absolutely just came apart once the modifieds got on it.

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    I've talked to guys that ran that bristol deal, they all were worried about the cars not being safe enough at the time, and they said the speeds were extremely fast,
    Yep, many wheels broke there and not just the off brand wheels stuff but standard XL welds. Many switched to the HS welds for the RR. IIRC, Weld was cleaned out of the HS wheels and bought down everyone they had in stock. I remember Greg Weld talking about it and said the track was too fast for the wheels even the HS wheels
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 07-16-2020 at 01:36 PM.

One of the years it rained, track was extremely hooked up. They actually took some of the banking out when they put the dirt on it, ran the place almost wide open. They were planning on doing it three years but the cleanup was so expensive they canceled the last year as it wasn't making enough money to continue.

the old Cherokee track was extremely fast in hot laps / qualifying too. I think a driver died there, and they shortened the track afterwards. (so i heard)

For the size of the track Tazewell is the fastest. They do half mile track speeds on that 5/16 track.

In fact, faster than some half milers.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!