Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MAC ATTACK View Post
    http://www.race-track.com/news.asp?TOPIC_ID=1512
    Story on Lanigan at Golden Isles
    I asked earlier in this thread and no one answered so I'll try it again. Did 410 winged sprint cars ever run at the Georgia track that is covered in the above link? If a 2350# late model ran 143 MPH then a 850 horse full house 1400# winged 410 should be well over 150 MPH average if they ever raced there.
    Last edited by CIRF; 07-17-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MAC ATTACK View Post
    http://www.race-track.com/news.asp?TOPIC_ID=1512
    Story on Lanigan at Golden Isles
    That was a good read....lot of cool names in those rundowns from 15 years ago.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I've never been to the old Golden Isles or to Sringfield when they ran the mile. I don't know what's left as far as scary fast tracks. I didn't even know they'd closed the Belleville High Banks. What I'll say is, these cars are barely safe enough to run on real half mile tracks. They definitely aren't safe enough for the mile at Springfield. At least not with open motors.

I asked Brian Keselowski a few years ago how fast he could lap Dover in an outlaw Asphalt Super Late Model, you midwest Michigan, Ohio, Indiana guys know what I'm talking about everybody else flex the search engine. Brian told me "it would break in half" but if it wouldn't about 4 seconds faster than Cup pole speed. Those cars run dirt style bodies, but are way more robust than their dirt cousins at 2800#. So you take 500 lbs of steel out and, okay, think about it. They're the cars that were left over when all the outlaw tracks up there got paved and they kept DLM rules back 30 some years ago. Like when you guys were talking about dirt cars on asphalt at Volusia at Speedweeks back in the day and Larry Zent being super fast, I've seen Larry race one of these cars a whole lot. I'm rambling here.

I think what I'm saying is if we're gonna start running miles and super high banked 5/8 miles and stuff ever again the cars need to weigh at least 3000 lb and have steel bodies and not really resemble a dirt late model. Or make everybody run a crate motor. Call me a sissy, I can take it.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

deep thinking, bro---good analysis

Safe is all in the eyes of the person willing to strap in.... Your helmet strap would pull at your chin as it tried to rise up at the old Golden Isle.

No doubt....when you get rollin at Springfield Mile....you’re rollin. Way over 100 mph. More like 150. These dirt late models aren’t built for that. If you crash at those speeds...you’re in real deal trouble in these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ride height
    No doubt....when you get rollin at Springfield Mile....you’re rollin. Way over 100 mph. More like 150. These dirt late models aren’t built for that. If you crash at those speeds...you’re in real deal trouble in these cars.

Steve Sheppard Jr's car after a wreck at the Springfield Mile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10.426 by Terry McCarl at Husets Speedway in Brandon SD. That track is bad fast and opening up again very soon. Hopefully Late Model races next year !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    ---- and Larry Zent being super fast, I've seen Larry race one of these cars a whole lot.
    Ditto. I’ve seen Larry win a bunch of races too. Absolutely dominated the Outlaw Super late class in this region back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by TUTY View Post
    10.426 by Terry McCarl at Husets Speedway in Brandon SD. That track is bad fast and opening up again very soon. Hopefully Late Model races next year !!
    I believe Tod wants to bring in lucas

They might even get the Lucas Oil LM’s yet this year if there are more schedule changes.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanson View Post
    I've watched a good race at Volunteer. The stats sound right. I've measured the banking at Tazewell (steep) but not the distance. I doubt it is a third mile. It seemed quite small. I have never been to Macon which has been stated to be one-fourth or one-fifth mile---anyway, they say they are the world's fastest for their size. (someday when I'm not doing projects I may dig my measurements out of a drawer---I'm retired and don't know how I ever had time to work--ha ha)
    Macon is the fastest per size that I know of.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Safe is all in the eyes of the person willing to strap in.... Your helmet strap would pull at your chin as it tried to rise up at the old Golden Isle.
    If everything goes just wrong enough, you can meet your maker at a 1/4 mile track. Racers would run the races but if I was a promoter or insurance guy I could totally understand not wanting to bottom line a Super Late or 410 sprint car race on a mile track.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.