Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Yep, many wheels broke there and not just the off brand wheels stuff but standard XL welds. Many switched to the HS welds for the RR. IIRC, Weld was cleaned out of the HS wheels and bought down everyone they had in stock. I remember Greg Weld talking about it and said the track was too fast for the wheels even the HS wheels
    Billetbirdcage is one of the reasons Bellville is so inactive because of it's Ability to eat LM engines?

[QUOTE=bb14;2334690]I asked Bill Schlieper how fast they were really running and he told
    me that by multiplying the gear ratio and rpm in some formula = 175 at Golden Isles.

I was there when Skip Arp ran like a 15.65 or something close. The announcer said 144 mph.

Thanks for verifying what I had thought to be correct about Skip Arp. An average spped of 144 would be about right at Golden Isles with speed of 173 entering turn 3, I suppose. Skip hung around with some of my camping friends down there and once told that he was going so fast, the wind was rushing under his face shield and making his upper lip curl up and block his nostrils where he couldn't breathe. LOL!

I also remember hearing the story about several well known drivers complaining about the straightaway speeds at old Cherokee and having to navigate its tight turns after coming in so fast.

Well if you go by times tazwell is one of the fastest when John Thompson owned it I think the track record was 10.8 so is bulls gap of course we have a new track at spring city high banked quarter mile crates turned it in 11. Seconds they haven't ran a super race yet it's like this if race tracks are worked and watered they are all fast.

Once again, folks, we seem to be forgetting Cedar Lake 10.775 seconds by Terry McCarl ---average of 125.29 MPH
    ---all the more remarkable considering four corners in the average--- three-eighths track ---imagine the G force

That is sprint car not late models.

Quote Originally Posted by sozo View Post
    Billetbirdcage is one of the reasons Bellville is so inactive because of it's Ability to eat LM engines?
    It's a combination of things mostly, but yes many guys skipped that track if they wasn't running for points due to engine strain. The speed is very consistent all the way around the track, you might scrub 5 or 8 MPH off in either end of the track so the RPM is pretty much at max for the duration of the race. If the engine has a weak link it will find it. Other factors are a lack of open cars or LM's in general now a days and before that was Boen having purpose built cars/engine just for Belleville as he was almost unbeatable there after 2004ish. I think one year (2003 or 2004) Purkey and I did win 3 of the 4 races there, but that was because Kelly had issues or just missed it on 3 of those 4 races. I don't think Kelly lost a race there after that.

It's hard on all engines, even many of the open modifieds stopped going.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    It's a combination of things mostly, but yes many guys skipped that track if they wasn't running for points due to engine strain. The speed is very consistent all the way around the track, you might scrub 5 or 8 MPH off in either end of the track so the RPM is pretty much at max for the duration of the race. If the engine has a weak link it will find it. Other factors are a lack of open cars or LM's in general now a days and before that was Boen having purpose built cars/engine just for Belleville as he was almost unbeatable there after 2004ish. I think one year (2003 or 2004) Purkey and I did win 3 of the 4 races there, but that was because Kelly had issues or just missed it on 3 of those 4 races. I don't think Kelly lost a race there after that.

It's hard on all engines, even many of the open modifieds stopped going.
    Thanks. I miss watching Al run!

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    Well if you go by times tazwell is one of the fastest when John Thompson owned it I think the track record was 10.8 so is bulls gap of course we have a new track at spring city high banked quarter mile crates turned it in 11. Seconds they haven't ran a super race yet it's like this if race tracks are worked and watered they are all fast.
    Thompson made the track pretty tacky most of the time. They have gotten away from doing that anymore it seems.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Jason Rauen 12.972 at Cedar Lake AVERAGE of 104.07 MPH I think hard core facts are the best way to figure out fast tracks. As one person said, tracks tend to advertise things that may not be true. Some might measure their track on the outside fence and some on the inside or some in the middle. I don't know where Cedar Lake measures theirs. The owners of Bristol got angry at me because I measured their banking with a magnetic protractor and found out the banking was less than advertised. ---ha ha ha Now granted, it is still very steep. I felt it in my thighs. Don't ask the degrees right now. I have it buried in a drawer.

Volunteer Speedway, Bulls Gap, TN 4/10 mile
    Super Late Models - Vic Hill 11.860 - 121.42 mph
    Run-What-You-Brung Super Late Models (Sideboards/Wings/Outlaw) - Gusty Christenberry 11.743 - 122.63 mph
    WOO Sprint Cars - Kasey Kahne 10.258 - 140.38 mph

Tazewell Speedway, Tazewell, TN 1/3 mile
    Super Late Models - Scott Bloomquist 10.822 - 110.77 mph

Just two tracks in my area

Another fast track was Bristol. The open practice for the super late models and sprints they had before the very first race, I clocked the super late models running in the 125 mph range and the sprints in the 145 mph average lap. It had rained on and off that day of practice and another shower came just before they went out to practice. The Drivers were Scott Bloomquist and Sammy Swindell.

There is video of Daley Blaney turning laps at Wythe Raceway, Wythville, VA 1/2 mile track in the 13 second range at 140 mph in a closed practice filmed by Perry Brown

https://youtu.be/j0coCioCU3s

I've watched a good race at Volunteer. The stats sound right. I've measured the banking at Tazewell (steep) but not the distance. I doubt it is a third mile. It seemed quite small. I have never been to Macon which has been stated to be one-fourth or one-fifth mile---anyway, they say they are the world's fastest for their size. (someday when I'm not doing projects I may dig my measurements out of a drawer---I'm retired and don't know how I ever had time to work--ha ha)

Of course, the other factor is a track being racey. Is their a rim-rider, a middle groove, and a bottom feeder ? Can a driver run in all three grooves depending on his car, changing track conditions, and negotiating traffic. Personally I like tacky, hammer down tracks as long as there is good racing. It is especially fun if a driver can come from deep in the field to the front. Sometimes drivers whine that the track itself is difficult to drive--competition from both the track and other drivers, which is beautiful to me, the fan. ---ha ha ha Of course, I'm not fond of holes.

Quote Originally Posted by BURKS73B1SB0FAN View Post
    There is video of Daley Blaney turning laps at Wythe Raceway, Wythville, VA 1/2 mile track in the 13 second range at 140 mph in a closed practice filmed by Perry Brown

https://youtu.be/j0coCioCU3s
    Here's another angle. He was rolling.

https://youtu.be/Y5ZvFJlny2o
    Last edited by AllenK; 07-17-2020 at 12:17 PM.
    Formerly 66#1

Wythe Raceway in Va. is a half mile on the inside.The surface is as smooth as the highway.140 mph in straights and barely lift on entry.No slide jobs there too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    173, to be exact. A friend was down there when a Georgia state trooper did the check. Did know who the driver was but have forgotten now. Could have been Skip Arp, but I'm not sure.
    That would have been Darrell Lanigan

http://www.race-track.com/news.asp?TOPIC_ID=1512
    Story on Lanigan at Golden Isles

Why doesn't more footage of the old Golden Isles exist out in the public domain?
    Formerly 66#1

thanks for the videos and stories---great stuff---fun---Wythe, Golden Isles, etc. I love tracks where the drivers never have to lift during time trials. If you have to lift in 410 time trials at Cedar Lake, you are toast. I'm not a racer, just an observer, but it seems to me that even hammer down late models sometimes have to lay off for half a second to get the car to turn. ?????? I saw Tony Stewart run a late model hammer down lap at Cedar Lake where he got the car to turn without letting up. I'm just trying to remember---many years ago.