Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Fastest Track In US

Is there any hard data that supports one track being the fastest in the US?

Short tracks are notorious for fudging his big they are, so the records are generally flawed.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I was always impressed with the lap times shown at Bulls Gap (I believe that's the one I'm thinking of), but I've never seen the place in person.

might be fun to post track records and then argue about how big they.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Last edited by Mister Ricochet; 07-14-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Been a whole lot of track records broke in the last 7 years.
    8/13/16

Golden Isles is a fast one and used to be faster

The Springfield Mile is widely believed to have had the fastest average MPH lap ever turned on a dirt track. I was in the stands at The Mile the day Sammy turned that lap and it was a scary thing to see.

Sammy set that record over 22 years ago and it's a given that the 410 sprints on The Mile would be significantly faster today, as would the late models. The late model TR on The Mile was set in 2006 and is about 15 MPH slower that Sammy's record lap set 8 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    The Springfield Mile is widely believed to have had the fastest average MPH lap ever turned on a dirt track. I was in the stands at The Mile the day Sammy turned that lap and it was a scary thing to see.Sammy set that record over 22 years ago and it's a given that the 410 sprints on The Mile would be significantly faster today, as would the late models. The late model TR on The Mile was set in 2006 and is about 15 MPH slower that Sammy's record lap set 8 years earlier.
    Yes Springfield mile is unbelievably fast.

The Dome, St. Louis Missouri
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Tazwell speedway bad fast

Pure MPH Springfield mile. When they put dirt over Bristol that was very fast too.

WVMS was very fast.

For a local track by me I would say Spoon River Speedway. Very high banked tight corned 3/8 mile. Mid 90’s Terry McCarl turned an average lap over 118 mph in 410 sprint. Not sure what the time was though.

Brushcreek was very fast before it was shortened.

Golden Isles is the fastest I’ve been on with Atomic Speedway a close second

The track announcer interviewed an Illinois State Trooper at Springfield the day Sammy did his record lap. The trooper had been clocking cars with a radar gun at the end of the back straightaway going into turn #3. Trooper said he had Sammy doing a tick over 174 MPH at the end of the back straight!

Folks, that's cookin'!!

Found this in my notes about the Springfield Mile...

2005 WoO LMS
    Time Trials: The 33 car field took to the mile speedway with “Kid Rocket” Richards busting into the 27 second bracket with a pass of 27.968 seconds bringing a huge ovation from the very large crowd on hand. Lanigan was the only other driver to officially break into the 27 second bracket with his fast lap of 27.932 seconds which turned out to be the fastest time. “T-Mac” McCreadie brought the house down with his fast lap of 27.665 seconds just missing the track standard of Darren Miller by .017 seconds. However, McCreadie’s time was disallowed as he missed making the minimum weight by 10 pounds relegating him to the rear of the time trial list. Radar on the backchute by the Illinois State Police clocked McCreadie at over 154 mph during his disallowed fast lap.

Sept 16, 2006 Illinois Fall Nationals
    "The Thriller" Sets New Springfield Mile Track Record
    27.581 sec. - 130.52 Average MPH

When golden isles was 5/8 it was fast. Open wheel dirt cars no longer need to be on mile tracks. WVMS, but doubt the place will ever reopen. Myself, the old eldora gave me a rush, especially standing in the infield before the fencing went up.

The old Golden Isle was the fastest track I have ran (Bristol with dirt, old Gaffney, and Mineral Wells were also fast). Wytheville, Va is still bad to the bone... and I miss seeing the old J&J Steel crew