Default I-75 Speedway (TN) current layout

Watched some video form the Southern National’s race there tonight and thought the track looked to be a smaller track in the infield of what once could have been a MUCH larger track. Just curious if this is true as I don’t know much about the joint. If the track was shortened at some point, anyone know when?

Started life as Murphy Speedway in about 2004, a 5/8 mile. I went once but don't remember it real well. I think they said it was reconfigured in 2014 to a 3/8 mile.

^^^^

Pretty much nailed it. Old track was a car killer.

If it's the same track I'm remembering from back in the early/mid 2000's, when it opened it was looooong straightaways and fast. Had problems with cars breaking the centers out of wheels.

Thanks for the info guys.

Found this video of the old track layout if anyone wants to see what the old placed looked like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PcMs1TrVpk

It was monsterous and not a fun track to watch in its former life. At that size, I was an advocate for it being paved and running Nascar Trucks, Xfinity and the small divisions with Nascar.

I stopped by there 1 friday on my way back home mr murphy was there, I told him I heard he was building a race track, he said yes, hang on a minute and we will ride around it, it was only a rough layout at that time, he said what do you think, i said it's to big and fast, guys cant afford to race here, i said you should build something like duck river speedway or Cleveland. he said he gonna bank the corners alot and it would slow then down, I said I guess you got it figured out with a laugh, i thanked him for his time and wished him luck.