Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Top 5 Illinois tracks

Watching the race last night at Spoon, it seems the past two to three years, their summer nationals race has been one of the better ones. Maybe some of you Illinois residents can tell me, is Spoon a top 3-5 track in Illinois? Would love to see a Lucas or WoO show there. If you were to rank the top 5 Illinois tracks, what would they be? Interested in responses.

Quick answer, yes Spoon is a top 5 track in my book. A Tazwell like bad fast track. A 3/8ths like Taz with very high banking even in the straights. Watching Turbo Erb set the track record in qualifying last yr he never lifted........ Track starts out tacky and nicely slicks a tad during the feature the 1 race I saw live and 2 on video.

Fairbury #1 though.
    Last edited by Mister Ricochet; 07-17-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Fairbury for sure #1

Would Farmer city make this list as well?

It kinda reminds me of atomic.

1. Fairbury
    2. Macon
    3. Spoon River
    4. Jacksonville
    5. Lincoln
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    It kinda reminds me of atomic.
    It does a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post
    Would Farmer city make this list as well?
    For me it's

1, Fairbury.

2, Spoon River

3, Tri City

4-5, Close but when LaSalle runs I have them 4th and Farmer City 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    1. Fairbury
    2. Macon
    3. Spoon River
    4. Jacksonville
    5. Lincoln
    Interesting Shiny, we always hear a lot about Farmer City. Care to explain why it's not on your top 5, as well as LaSalle and Sycamore. Fayette County kind of seems like a diamond in the rough. I've seen good video from there. I'm jealous of you guys who live out there.

What IL track reminds you guys of Atomic?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ricochet View Post
    What IL track reminds you guys of Atomic?
    Spoon River.

Canton would most definitely be in the top 5. In no particular order Jacksonville, Canton, Macon, Fairbury and Tri-City would be in most folks top 5. Argument could be made for Farmer City and Kankakee to be on that list but both seem to have fallen on tough times of late. Joliet is probably the premier facility but we've had some not so entertaining experiences there over the years.

The last two remaining dirt mile's used for auto/motorcycle racing probably don't fit the criteria of the original question but overall they are an important part of auto racing in Illinois. Du Quoin is one of the most picturesque and aesthetically beautiful tracks in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Canton would most definitely be in the top 5. In no particular order Jacksonville, Canton, Macon, Fairbury and Tri-City would be in most folks top 5. Argument could be made for Farmer City and Kankakee to be on that list but both seem to have fallen on tough times of late. Joliet is probably the premier facility but we've had some not so entertaining experiences there over the years.

The last two remaining dirt mile's used for auto/motorcycle racing probably don't fit the criteria of the original question but overall they are an important part of auto racing in Illinois. Du Quoin is one of the most picturesque and aesthetically beautiful tracks in the country.
    I also forgot about Tri City. Looks like a nice place, and I love the layout of the track. Perfect size IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    Interesting Shiny, we always hear a lot about Farmer City. Care to explain why it's not on your top 5, as well as LaSalle and Sycamore. Fayette County kind of seems like a diamond in the rough. I've seen good video from there. I'm jealous of you guys who live out there.
    Because there are only 5 slots. Lincoln is, IMO, vastly underrated. It's very similar to Fairbury. These 5 tracks are consistently prepped very well and put on great races. Admittedly, I've only made it to Fayette County once, so maybe it's better than I think it is. There's just too much quality in Illinois to fit in a top 5 list. Farmer City would probably slot in 6th.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Macon and Fairbury are for sure on my list of tracks to visit at some point in the future. I remember not so long ago when Farmer City was always suggested by people but that chatter seems to have died down over recent years which is why I asked about it.

I haven't seen enough of it but wonder what folks who have been think about the 1/4 Highland? ........... Before it closed Bureau County Speedway's 3/8ths, and a true D shaped track, was interesting. That turn 4 wall was like the Bermuda Triangle and sucked cars right into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    Because there are only 5 slots. Lincoln is, IMO, vastly underrated. It's very similar to Fairbury. These 5 tracks are consistently prepped very well and put on great races. Admittedly, I've only made it to Fayette County once, so maybe it's better than I think it is. There's just too much quality in Illinois to fit in a top 5 list. Farmer City would probably slot in 6th.
    Fair enough, good info.

Macon to me is gimmicky. Not a fan of 22 cars crammed into a 1/5th but the facility is really cool and you're literally on top of the action. The sun is absolutely brutal until it goes down and the place is painted the same color red as that Clint Eastwood movie where he makes the towns folk paint the whole town red.

Never been to IL, but Jacksonville is always a track I get exited to watch. Whether it's winged sprints midgets or late models.

IMO -- Macon - always prepped well, always two or three wide for the feature, Jacksonville, Fairbury -- is hit or miss -- people love it because of the outstanding promotion and fun at the track, Farmer hit or miss as well, but getting better all the time. Spoon when it is prepped right. Peoria can be very racey as well. LaSalle used to be in the top five, when prepped correctly. Lincoln can be very good as well. In reality, I've seen great racing on nearly every track in Illinois when the conditions are right. Kudos for all the track prep guys who work hard at it.