Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

One of the better threads in a long time.

This list is based only on tracks that I've physically attended. Track may no longer be open.

Georgia - Rome Speedway
    South Carolina - I-20 Speedway
    North Carolina - Charlotte Dirt Track
    Alabama - TST
    Florida - Southern Raceway (Only FL track I've attended)
    Tennessee - 411

No love for Deep South Speedway in AL? I know they've done a lot of recent changes but that place looks pretty racey from videos I've seen.

I liked i77 in Chester Sc and would have given it the best track in SC if it were still running....never made it to I 20 but heard it was pretty racey.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I 20 was a fun track after they added new dirt, but will still pick Cherokee. Since I 20 isn't open, I would go with old Cherokee..... my list of tracks I have run:Iowa-34 Raceway; Ill- East Moline;Ohio-Eldora; WV- Parkersburg; Va-Wythe; NC-311; SC-Cherokee; Ga-Albany; Al-EAMS; Ms-Columbus Bullring; Fl-East Bay; Tn-Taz; Mo-Scotland County

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    I 20 was a fun track after they added new dirt, but will still pick Cherokee. Since I 20 isn't open, I would go with old Cherokee..... my list of tracks I have run:Iowa-34 Raceway; Ill- East Moline;Ohio-Eldora; WV- Parkersburg; Va-Wythe; NC-311; SC-Cherokee; Ga-Albany; Al-EAMS; Ms-Columbus Bullring; Fl-East Bay; Tn-Taz; Mo-Scotland County
    WVMS for West Virginia you mean? It's no longer open.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Agree. I don't think Batesville is the best track for racing, that is just the only one people know of. I have never been to diamond park. When conditions are perfect (which doesn't happen often), I-30 is pretty darn entertaining. Crawford County speedway (which again I'm sure nobody has heard of) has some good races at times.
    Yes,I have seen good and not so good at Batesville. It is a nice facility in a beautiful setting.

I-30 can produce some barnburners,but only if I'm not there it seems. That Comp Cams race on July 1st was a great example. That was awesome! If we had gone it would've been one lane all the way,lol.

We've been to Crawford County once back in the 90's for a MLRA race. It was very entertaining! The stands were metal folding chairs that were painted orange. It was the first race of the year so everybody buffed all the oxidized paint off with their rearends.
    Formerly 66#1

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    Yes,I have seen good and not so good at Batesville. It is a nice facility in a beautiful setting.

I-30 can produce some barnburners,but only if I'm not there it seems. That Comp Cams race on July 1st was a great example. That was awesome! If we had gone it would've been one lane all the way,lol.

We've been to Crawford County once back in the 90's for a MLRA race. It was very entertaining! The stands were metal folding chairs that were painted orange. It was the first race of the year so everybody buffed all the oxidized paint off with their rearends.
    Ha! Yeah Crawford has made some improvements in the last 10 years with the facility. They used to have a rodeo ring in the middle of it and then took it out and tried micro sprint racing, which I went to participate but it was just way too small.

And yeah, for anybody that didn't see that I-30 race that Drew Armstrong won...….look it up. That was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    WVMS for West Virginia you mean? It's no longer open.
    I will have to go with Beckley then... Yes, I meant WVMS as a big track simply because it was unique.

Hey Rocky, my visits to Rattlesnake was many a moon ago when it was doing well. I forgot to mention Great Basin in Ely when once a year they would bring in the Supers for a 2-day show. That was a flippin' long, long drive up there.

LMM

Mark, I figured as much, just giving you an update. I hold no ill will against the Rattlesnake Raceway or the very nice guy that's running it. It's a great high banked little bullring and it looks like she was once a showplace but the weekly car count is right through the floor there. I feel for them. I even bought a hat because if there's a guy that doesn't want to see anybody's home town track go under it's this guy. So if I ever go to TST I'll wear that Rattlesnake Raceway hat. Keep your eyes open, you probably don't see too many of those.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

Charlotte dirt track best in the state ? It has gotten better over the years. It just doesn’t have any individuality. It’s a little too cookie cutter for me... and no more big late model race. Kolossal 100

Zach 51,the rodeo arena in the middle of the track is pure awesomeness!

Best track in Oklahoma and just about anywhere is the Salina Highbanks Speedway! Just amazing! Outlaw is a super nice facility as well,and Muskogee has the history behind it.

Gotta go with Devil's Bowl in Texas all the way. Great racing,unique track with an uphill backstretch,and all that history behind it. I'm glad it's still hanging on against the ever-encroaching DFW Metroplex. The Dirt Track at TMS has the nicest facilities just about anywhere. Would be cool to see a two-night national late model series doubleheader at the two tracks.

Lonestar is cool,but even with the improvements, i.e. shortening the track and whatever,the racing never has really been that great. The old layout was fast for sure. They put some new clay on back in the 90's,and I'm still not sure if I seen a late model go faster since then. It was a SUPR series race,and they had to be running 120 plus at the end of the straights.

I will say that Lonestar and Boothill over by Shreveport are the two hottest tracks I've ever been to by far. Boothill will cook you to death with those west facing concrete stands,and I almost suffocated one year in August for the Armadillo 100 at Lone Star. I'm used to the heat also!
    Formerly 66#1

Muskogee track from a fan standpoint is a dump, grandstands condemned 15 years ago and torn down, etc. Salina HB- be great if it didn't rubber up when they ran more than weekly cars on it. Outlaw just south be great if it stayed open more than two years before switching promoters and changing everything. OK I gotta vote for SOS or Lawton, since State Fair be gone. Lonestar never impressed me, 1/2 or 3/8ths. Dust bowl. DB is a shadow of its former self for weekly racing. Hell 15 years ago they had a full field (yes, B mains) of "Lanny Rules" (whatever that means, it changed week to week) late models that were quite competitive. Best facility in TX by far is TMS Dirt Track. Niiiice facility, underutilized. Really should be two or three national level events here every year. Think I-80 with drainage issues. If it rains, its gonna rut up over the tunnel. Big, wide 3/8 min on the inside fence, shallow banking. What happened to HRP? WA State- Without a doubt, Skagit. (Close second- Gray's Harbor). Used to run LM till the mid 90's. Used to run wedge cars way back when. Wedge LM were the lower class, plus 3 class of winged sprints. NONE of you from the midwest have ever seen a dirt track facility like Skagit, I'm serious- you walk in at 7PM, there ain't a single piece of trash anywhere, the pit/backlot bathrooms off the 3/4 turn hill is freaking all TILE and SPOTLESS when you walk in. Bathrooms- tile floors and walls. Spotless. No smell. At a dirt track. Too bad there's no car count anymore.
    Last edited by GrocMax; 08-02-2020 at 02:00 AM.

I called the dirt track at Charlotte the best in the state because of the audience. These guys want to go to a big race and the World Finals is as far as I can think of the biggest in the state. Fayetteville tried doing that first in flight thing, but I couldn't call Fayetteville the best in the state. At least not the old configuration. Personally I got no idea what's west of I-85 either so that's why my first post I said I got no business commenting. But if you've read many of my posts over the years, you'll know that I am a tongue wagging keyboard warrior that will comment even if he doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I called the dirt track at Charlotte the best in the state because of the audience. These guys want to go to a big race and the World Finals is as far as I can think of the biggest in the state. Fayetteville tried doing that first in flight thing, but I couldn't call Fayetteville the best in the state. At least not the old configuration. Personally I got no idea what's west of I-85 either so that's why my first post I said I got no business commenting. But if you've read many of my posts over the years, you'll know that I am a tongue wagging keyboard warrior that will comment even if he doesn't know what he's talking about.
    I respect your opinion. Charlotte does have a great facility. No doubt about that. I guess for me I like places with more history/unique features. Small bullrings like East Lincoln and County line. I do wish Charlotte still had the big late model race they ran for a few years. Good event for sure.

I would tell anybody in the world that would listen to go to the Race for the Kids at CLR. But I don't think that would be the kind of race most of these guys would want to go to.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I would tell anybody in the world that would listen to go to the Race for the Kids at CLR. But I don't think that would be the kind of race most of these guys would want to go to.
    That’s a great event for a good cause 👍

Two main reasons why I listed Charlotte.

1. I've only been to three tracks physically in North Carolina and Charlotte was the best of those 3 IMO. I've seen videos of tracks that I thought might/could be better racing wise. I've wanted to visit County Line as I've heard lots of good things about that joint. Tri-County has also always been on my list of joints to visit.

2. I do think Charlotte hosts the best event in NC in the World Finals. Awesome event were you get to see SLMs, WoO Sprints, and DIRTcar Big-Block Modifieds. No other event were you get to see all three and 3-day tickets are only $89. Also cool that you get to walk around the pits and see cars/drivers up close. Racing isn't always the best but still one of my favorite events to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post
    Two main reasons why I listed Charlotte.1. I've only been to three tracks physically in North Carolina and Charlotte was the best of those 3 IMO. I've seen videos of tracks that I thought might/could be better racing wise. I've wanted to visit County Line as I've heard lots of good things about that joint. Tri-County has also always been on my list of joints to visit.2. I do think Charlotte hosts the best event in NC in the World Finals. Awesome event were you get to see SLMs, WoO Sprints, and DIRTcar Big-Block Modifieds. No other event were you get to see all three and 3-day tickets are only $89. Also cool that you get to walk around the pits and see cars/drivers up close. Racing isn't always the best but still one of my favorite events to attend.
    Good points

Quote Originally Posted by GrocMax View Post
    Muskogee track from a fan standpoint is a dump, grandstands condemned 15 years ago and torn down, etc. Salina HB- be great if it didn't rubber up when they ran more than weekly cars on it. Outlaw just south be great if it stayed open more than two years before switching promoters and changing everything. OK I gotta vote for SOS or Lawton, since State Fair be gone. Lonestar never impressed me, 1/2 or 3/8ths. Dust bowl. DB is a shadow of its former self for weekly racing. Hell 15 years ago they had a full field (yes, B mains) of "Lanny Rules" (whatever that means, it changed week to week) late models that were quite competitive. Best facility in TX by far is TMS Dirt Track. Niiiice facility, underutilized. Really should be two or three national level events here every year. Think I-80 with drainage issues. If it rains, its gonna rut up over the tunnel. Big, wide 3/8 min on the inside fence, shallow banking. What happened to HRP? WA State- Without a doubt, Skagit. (Close second- Gray's Harbor). Used to run LM till the mid 90's. Used to run wedge cars way back when. Wedge LM were the lower class, plus 3 class of winged sprints. NONE of you from the midwest have ever seen a dirt track facility like Skagit, I'm serious- you walk in at 7PM, there ain't a single piece of trash anywhere, the pit/backlot bathrooms off the 3/4 turn hill is freaking all TILE and SPOTLESS when you walk in. Bathrooms- tile floors and walls. Spotless. No smell. At a dirt track. Too bad there's no car count anymore.
    I guess I should've added a caveat to my post because I have noticed that Salina and DB have taken to the "drier is better" mentality from what I've seen recently. I haven't been to Salina since 2001,but it was awesome back then. I know that Lanny ruled the Bowl with an iron hand for many years. I never saw the local cars run in person,but I enjoyed the videos of the late models. They really put on a show. My wife and I and my Dad went to the HAT races at the TMS dirt track. The racing was pretty good,but the track was so rough that year.

I really loved those old stands at Muskogee. Best part of the track. It was cool to see racing on a real half-mile,but the track was one groove for the lates.
    Formerly 66#1