Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I would only disagree with most of the post when mentioning Alabama. North Alabama Speedway is very picturesque sitting between two small mountains. They have had some incredible racing there this season. And the Late Model history there goes way back.
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

alabama- moulton but the future is uncertain right now
    arkansas- crowleys ridge is a racey little bullring
    mississippi- columbus bullring
    tennessee- duck river, seen some really good races there over the years

My question is how in the hang can some of you guys rattle off the best track in 8 or 9 states? I don't even feel qualified to list the best track in North Carolina or Virginia because I can't get to enough of them to pass judgement. Are you listing them as crew members from Lucas, WoO or other traveling series? Current or former? Travelling sales reps? Long haulers or expiditers that spend time off at race tracks? Retirees that hit the road every weekend all summer? I'm not passing judgement here, I'm just trying to figure out how. Maybe we're going from video feed at PPV races? How do you know, judging that way if you'll say catch the hepatitis from walking into the bathroom at said race track? I will say the best track in Delaware is either Georgetown or DIS. One or the other but that's as bold as I'm willing to go.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    alabama- moulton but the future is uncertain right now
    arkansas- crowleys ridge is a racey little bullring
    mississippi- columbus bullring
    tennessee- duck river, seen some really good races there over the years
    MOULTON?!?!?!?!!!! Listen friend, drugs are bad for you. Put em behind you and that brain will clear up.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    My question is how in the hang can some of you guys rattle off the best track in 8 or 9 states? I don't even feel qualified to list the best track in North Carolina or Virginia because I can't get to enough of them to pass judgement. Are you listing them as crew members from Lucas, WoO or other traveling series? Current or former? Travelling sales reps? Long haulers or expiditers that spend time off at race tracks? Retirees that hit the road every weekend all summer? I'm not passing judgement here, I'm just trying to figure out how. Maybe we're going from video feed at PPV races? How do you know, judging that way if you'll say catch the hepatitis from walking into the bathroom at said race track? I will say the best track in Delaware is either Georgetown or DIS. One or the other but that's as bold as I'm willing to go.
    Yes, most that I posted were what I've seen on a stream. The #1 reason I go to any track is cuz the surface is racy and I can see that on a screen. But what I've learned from reading the thread has been very useful. Introduced me to tracks I wasn't aware of.

Post asked if you could road trip for a yr which one track from each state would you visit despite the title saying "best race track in each state".

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ricochet View Post
    Yes, most that I posted were what I've seen on a stream. The #1 reason I go to any track is cuz the surface is racy and I can see that on a screen. But what I've learned from reading the thread has been very useful. Introduced me to tracks I wasn't aware of.

Post asked if you could road trip for a yr which one track from each state would you visit despite the title saying "best race track in each state".
    I see. So I grew up in Michigan and I'm really partial to Crystal it's situated in a pretty little lake town. #1 IMCA modified car count in the country for many years. Full field of late models weekly. Tri City runs Friday nights and is pretty much a new race track wide and racy but small. full field of cars every Friday night.

Virginia, I'm gonna say either Va Motor Speedway or Winchester. North Carolina is probably Charlotte.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

I know this is Late Model board, but for MN Jackson Speedway has to be up there, its a beautiful facility. Once it opens this weekend, in SD-HUSETS (dont give me that badlands stuff) Speedway is also incredible.

dirt crow, i love talladega and go there a ton but no way can you say its number 1 in the state for good racing lol. Moulton IMO is the best little bull ring, with NAS a close second. From 2011ish-present its swapped bad hands over and over. I still think it can make a resurgence thought

I think the best track in Tennessee is Tazewell. There was a really nice track names Scenic Raceway in Oneida Tennessee but I believe it closed several years ago.

South Carolina = Lancaster North Carolina = county line. http://countylineracewaync.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doc88D View Post
    I would only disagree with most of the post when mentioning Alabama. North Alabama Speedway is very picturesque sitting between two small mountains. They have had some incredible racing there this season. And the Late Model history there goes way back.
    North Alabama is right there with TST and ECM...NA, home of Freddy Smith's last big win...
    -------------------------
    See you down the road!!!!

Rocky, was a regional rep and traveled a dozen states extensively plus three more intermittently. Able to determine my schedule to some degree and often tried to get close to a race. Last count was around 90+ tracks total. I consider it a blessing. Some tracks saw only once, some several or many times. Good example is South Dakota. Most will cite Husets, deservedly so. But I’d throw Aberdeen and Watertown in as well. My belief is the upper Midwest; Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc., are underrated for short track racing.
    I hate time trials.

Jackson Motorplex has taken over the best track in Minnesota. South Dakota is Husets Speedway and is reopening Sunday August 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    Batesville is by far the nicest racing facility in Arkansas. It hosts the biggest late model race in Arkansas by far in The Topless 100. However,My favorite track is Diamond Park Speedway with Poinsett County/Old No 1 Speedway a close second.

Diamond Park Speedway has an incredible surface. I haven't been in a few years but the facilities used to be pretty decent. With a little change to the turns,it could be one of the best in the country. BAD fast when hooked up also.
    The Old Number 1 track is a neat little bullring with great racing. It hosted the Cow Patty 50 for a few years that paid 8k to win! There used to be cattle that grazed right up next to the fences around the place.
    Agree. I don't think Batesville is the best track for racing, that is just the only one people know of. I have never been to diamond park. When conditions are perfect (which doesn't happen often), I-30 is pretty darn entertaining. Crawford County speedway (which again I'm sure nobody has heard of) has some good races at times.

Quote Originally Posted by d-glenn View Post
    North Alabama is right there with TST and ECM...NA, home of Freddy Smith's last big win...
    I’ve seen more races at North Alabama than any other track so I’m partial to it but my vote goes to NAS as the best in Alabama. But TST and ECM are very good also and when Moulton has been prepped right and being run by somebody that knows what their doing then Riddle is spot on and he should know because he’s turned many laps at that place.

Tennessee:::uck River Raceway

Kokomo is mighty fine, but it’s hard to pick against Tri State/Haubstadt.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

With this being a dirt deal here are mine, some active, some gone. These tracks I have attended....or lived at...

* Arizona-Manzanita* Canyon*
    *California-Ascot Park!!!*Bakersfield Speedway*Santa Maria Speedway*
    *Nevada-Dirt Track@LVMS*Rattlesnake Raceway*
    *Oregon*Willamette*
    *Washington-Skagit*
    *Texas-Baytown*Devils Bowl*
    *Mississippi-Columbus*Magnolia*
    *Tennessee-Cleveland*
    *Georgia-North Georgia*Dixie*
    *Indiana-Lincoln Park*

*Alabama-Talladega Short Track*Green Valley Speedway*

Late Model Mark

Let me expand on my thoughts about the tracks in Alabama. Yes, I am partial to the the track I work at and announce at, but I am a realist and not a total homer when it comes to race tracks. Since 1964 I have gone to race tracks all across this fine land, I have a small clue, he said small,lol.

I have had the privilege to announce or attend most all the tracks in Bama. There is not one that I did not like.

I rate the tracks in operation today and in the last decade. I very much respect the opinions on here as none are right or wrong including mine.

Moulton, I honestly could rate this track number 2 or maybe 3 during the time the Crumbs had it and for that half season the 2 gentlemen ran it before they pulled the plug. I announced with Robert at that time yet I found the racing to be good but no real barnburners, still a cool joint that is near to my heart. I root for it's comeback.

North Alabama, this track is just ultra cool in a killer location, when Greer had it it was rollin' quite good, saw some good shows. It was the location and atmosphere that was quite the selling point. I applaud the folks in charge now for taking a dead track overgrown with weeds to it's statue in the state today with forward thinking shows. Yet no Super events to tickle the senses.

Green Valley Speedway, announced there a few years and really loved the track, such a good facility, a serious track that tested man and machine, another track that screamed location and vibe.
    It was a crusher when Harker closed it when it had turned the corner. But there were few barn burner races there. Harker offered some big dollar shows just like Marvin did before.

Now on to Talladega Short Track. Even before I worked there I attended for years and it was for me the top weekly track. "Real" Super Late's weekly, tight racing with multiple grooves. Objectively why I pick TST as the top track has many facets I consider.

Weekly Super Late Models, a big plus, 3 other Late Model divisions as well, and for the most part the best run shows in the state.

Another honest assessment is the caliber of the shows thru out the calendar year. I will point out the Ice Bowl as easily the biggest independent show in the state, period. Each January promoters come from all over the regions and just marvel how TST can draw the fields and cars we do.300+

Usually 3 and sometimes 4 Southern All Star shows, 1 of them like the upcoming Governors Cup paying $10,000-to-win, up to 5 Crate Racin' USA touring shows, a UCRA show and the only track in Alabama to host a Lucas Oil Series event. We have had the largest crowd of "ANY" race track in the state of Alabama this year. Throw in usually 2 USCS Sprint Car shows a year and the fun NASCAR weekend leads me to believe we are on top of the heap.

ECM, the most improved track in the state, great area, just ultra long programs, the folks in charge deserve major league atta-boys!

East Alabama Speedway.. never mind

Those are some thoughts, biggest shows, well run programs, multiple grooves and tough weekly competition to me says the "Hornets Nest." JMO.

Late Model Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    With this being a dirt deal here are mine, some active, some gone. These tracks I have attended....or lived at...

*Nevada-Dirt Track@LVMS*Rattlesnake Raceway*

Late Model Mark
    Rattlesnake Raceway? I was out there last summer and they had about 20 cars total. Last time I was there before was 2012 and they didn't have much going on back then but not like today. The place has really fallen on hard times. I saw good racing at Battle Mountain (where I met and talked for quite awhile with the Sweetwater Announcing guy he may be a friend of yours Mark) and Lovelock though. Was gonna go to Fernley but Lovelock had races for Wild West days so the Fernley closed up and everybody went out there. Would have went to Winnemucca if I knew they were having a Wild West tour race the night before Battle Mountain, but I had to work early in the morning so it's okay that I didn't.

I've been to around 45 tracks in I think 11 or 12 states. You know most of my friends at the local track think that I am IN-FREAKING-SANE when I say that too. When I went to the firecracker years ago I had people saying you came here from where? They were baffled and this was at a major national race. Out of all the people that cheer for my buddy Rod that I help with his Street Stock only one other guy will travel to a race. We're really the .01 percent of race fans here on this board. That's kind of why I don't take the temperature of the sport here on the 4m. This is the only place that I can think of that somebody would ask the question that started this thread.

Great question, great thread. BTW.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.