Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kyle Larson at DTWC

Kyle is slated to drive a Super Late Model at the DTWC (If it happens) at Portsmouth in October... but I heard from a Very reliable source tonight that it’s not for that team from Mooresburg TN like everyone thinks....

Heard he will be “Horns Up”....

☝️☝️you are correct ☝️☝️

Quote Originally Posted by TOPSIDE TIMMY 39FAN View Post
    ☝️☝️you are correct ☝️☝️
    You don't know!! 😶

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerWon View Post
    You don't know!! 
    The jokes on you! 🤭🤭🤭🤭🤫🤫🤫🤫
    Last edited by HIGH ROLLER; 07-18-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Well he better be horns up and go get some seat time somewhere. Taxi cabs don't react like a fighter jet. I'd like to see him be competitive. Crew chief will be critical.

dirtcrazy4u, think you have a valid point. Larson has put on an incredible show in Midwest sprint events these last few weeks and we know he can wheel a midget. Watched several on Flo and his ability to make spur of the moment moves and take higher levels of risk have been evident. Those same moves may not work as well in late models. Hope he gets the chance, it would be good for short track dirt racing.
    I hate time trials.

Quote Originally Posted by kazual View Post
    dirtcrazy4u, think you have a valid point. Larson has put on an incredible show in Midwest sprint events these last few weeks and we know he can wheel a midget. Watched several on Flo and his ability to make spur of the moment moves and take higher levels of risk have been evident. Those same moves may not work as well in late models. Hope he gets the chance, it would be good for short track dirt racing.
    95% certain he is going to have a few test sessions prior

If they have a world finals. Would be cool to see him try and run a couple Classes

Give the guy 25 laps and he'd be good to go. He's one of the best in the world. He'd be racing racers who happen to drive DLM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Larson will bring a blend of extraordinary talent and universal star power to dirt late model racing. That is a good thing. His participation will bring a huge increase of interest in this event. Hopefully the result at least somewhat matches the hype.

If Larson's past success of being a quick study in virtually everything he's raced is any indication he should be relatively fast in a short time. But as we all know, all of his talent, skill and bravery will not mean much without a good quality dirt late model racecar under him and knowledgeable dirt late model people turning wrenches and advising him in his pit area.

The earlier contrast made between taxi cabs and fighter planes is an interesting one. And in this case a relatively accurate one! LOL!
    Last edited by CIRF; 07-19-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Larson will bring a blend of extraordinary talent and universal star power to dirt late model racing. That is a good thing. His participation will bring a huge increase of interest in this event Hopefully the result at least somewhat matches the hype.

If Larson's past success of being a quick study in virtually everything he's raced is any indication he should be relatively fast in a short time. But as we all know, all of his talent, skill and bravery will not mean much without a good quality dirt late model racecar under him and knowledgeable dirt late model people turning wrenches and advising him in his pit area.

The earlier contrast made between taxi cabs and fighter planes is an interesting one. And in this case a relatively accurate one! LOL!
    Fighter planes are known for their ability to change direction. DLM are far better at that than a Sprint car.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Fighter planes are known for their ability to change direction. DLM are far better at that than a Sprint car.
    No doubt you have vast experience driving both, so we can believe you explicitly, right Adolph! LOL!

No doubt you have vast experience driving both, so we can believe you explicitly, right Adolph! LOL!
    Anyone with common sense can look at the suspension and tires and tell the difference. A Sprint is driven with the back wheels. That's is all it has. And a beam axle front suspension. Smh
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Anyone with common sense can look at the suspension and tires and tell the difference. A Sprint is driven with the back wheels. That's is all it has. And a beam axle front suspension. Smh
    Shake your head harder, Adolph, we can't hear it rattlin' yet! LOL!

Common sense ya' say, Adolph? Try this.............

In regards to sprint cars being driven with the back wheels, that is true thus we mere mortals can accurately assume proper driver throttle control talent would generally be needed in larger quantities to keep them on a fast and safe trajectory. Probably more so in the midgets and wingless versions, than those with wings. That is why the midgets and wingless versions are my personal preferences among the open wheel categories.

All I have for a frame of reference is having watched literally hundreds of heat races and A-mains of both late model and sprint & midget divisions. If you gained your infinite wisdom from thousands of laps racing all three then I must digress.

Even with my no drive ass planted on a bleacher seat 100 foot from the track I can see beyond any doubt that 1000 lb. midgets with 400+ HP and 1300 to 1400 lb. sprint cars with 900+ HP are much more responsive to driver input, more agile and nimble than a 2400 lb. late model. I'm pretty sure that's what dirtcrazy4u meant by the taxi cab/pizza delivery cars vs. midgets and sprint cars analogy.

Shake your head harder, Adolph, we can't hear it rattlin' yet! LOL!

Common sense ya' say, Adolph? Try this.............

In regards to sprint cars being driven with the back wheels, that is true thus we mere mortals can accurately assume proper driver throttle control talent would generally be needed in larger quantities to keep them on a fast and safe trajectory. Probably more so in the midgets and wingless versions, than those with wings. That is why the midgets and wingless versions are my personal preferences among the open wheel categories.

All I have for a frame of reference is having watched literally hundreds of heat races and A-mains of both late model and sprint & midget divisions. If you gained your infinite wisdom from thousands of laps racing all three then I must digress.

Even with my no drive ass planted on a bleacher seat 100 foot from the track I can see beyond any doubt that 1000 lb. midgets with 400+ HP and 1300 to 1400 lb. sprint cars with 900+ HP are much more responsive to driver input, more agile and nimble than a 2400 lb. late model. I'm pretty sure that's what dirtcrazy4u meant by the taxi cab/pizza delivery cars vs. midgets and sprint cars analogy.
    Response and redirection are two totally different things. Way to change the argument.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Why does any post that involves Sprint cars or Kyle turn into a sh1tfest? CIRF just stop it! We know you are a open wheel junkie. But you continuously bash people left and right when they are a little off your elitist sprint car agenda... this post was simply about a Kyle driving a Longhorn at the DTWC... give it a rest

Quote Originally Posted by TeNfOMaFiA69 View Post
    Why does any post that involves Sprint cars or Kyle turn into a sh1tfest? CIRF just stop it! We know you are a open wheel junkie. But you continuously bash people left and right when they are a little off your elitist sprint car agenda... this post was simply about a Kyle driving a Longhorn at the DTWC... give it a rest
    Something we finally agree on. Bravo!!!
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Default Race Craft

As the titled subject matter is about Kyle driving a DLM at the DTWC, the following is nothing more than my opinion.

Knowing this sub-debate is an old one with me, going back 20 to 30 some plus years on karting message boards and forums --- to me it’s the transitioning from one form thereof to another as is pertains to race craft of the specific discipline where things go wonky. Track surfaces aside for non-arguments on this. I can use examples of non-conforming or non-transitioning drivers that I have personally witnessed over the years. As well, I can example some that have conformed from one discipline, transitioning with successfulness to another.

One prime example would be Scott Speed. He could not hone his race craft discipline from karts --- to F1, ARCA, or Cup. He was simply a good kart racer, period.

One example would be Josef Newgarden. He did hone his race craft from karts, to Formula Ford, to Indy cars.

Jonathan Beason transitioned well from asphalt karts to dirt midgets. As did T-Mac from Dirt Modifies, to Midgets on to DLM’s

I could list pro and con on this subject for hours, as I do not think we have one right answer or one wrong answer. What I do think is, its all about the drivers race craft and his or her willingness to hone it. Currently thinking about Hailie Deegan from Pro Trucks to ARCA, and on to Cup. Wondering if she will hone her race craft.

Anyway ---

Having watched Kyle turn a lot of laps on dirt, (maybe watched more than CIRF, I don’t know) in Midgets, NW sprints, and Wing sprints --- and knowing the specific race craft discipline of all three is somewhat, well, very different -

Quote Originally Posted by kazual View Post
    ---- and his ability to make spur of the moment moves and take higher levels of risk have been evident. Those same moves may not work as well in late models.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Taxi cabs don't react like a fighter jet.
    Correct IMHO, LM’s are slow a sloppy in comparison to WS and NWS that are fast and agile.

Give the guy 25 laps and he'd be good to go.
    So you are thinking the race craft devolved from him driving Midgets, NW sprints, Wing sprints and Cup cars will transition directly and immediately to him driving a DLM in 25 laps? I’m not so sure, but it would be cool if it happens.

Aftet kyle test we will see how he does in race form. He will be in good hands all the way around!

Do we know for certain that Kyle L will be in a Longhorn Chassis ?