Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Southern Nationals Screven

What's going on down there?

Just finished hot laps. Palmetto State drivers out in force and fast in hot laps.
    Zack Mitchell
    Trent Ivey
    John Henderson
    Scott Shirley
    Cla Knight
    Madden
    Bailes
    Grube

Casey Roberts, Jeff Smith there tonight.

Overton always fast there.
    Last edited by johnE; 07-18-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Don't forget about the kid who ran 3rd yesterday, John Baker.

what were they thinking dumping all that water after hotlaps

Did they rain it out with the water truck again?

Almost 10:00 and haven't even qualified. I hate track bashing but it's justified in this case.

It was 95 degrees at 9:30. They didn’t have a choice.

Top 5 finish

Overton
    Whitener
    Bailes
    Madden
    C. Knight

Typical screven. With east bay going away in a couple years this place could really be something. Nahhh, never going to happen, it was 10:15 before the first heat race ever hit the track last time I was there. February, no heat issues, they did the same thing. Hot laps and then the water truck came out and dumped a ton of water on the track. Then they Tryed to run it back in with I think 3 vehicles. What a frigid joke, and the place has a great surface.

Last night I watched two complete sprint car features on Flo, Kyle Larson beating the All Stars at Port Royal, and Carson Macedo winning at Lincoln Speedway. Thought OK, let's make it a trifecta and watch the feature at Screven....switched over at 1015pm and could not believe they were just starting the first HEAT RACE for the SLM's.... At first I thought, I must have missed the feature and Flo is showing a replay. It has been hard for me all week to watch these Southern National races with how poorly run most of the shows have been....still in shock when I saw time trials one night for 4 cylinder street stocks. These are special race's that Cook has set up. Somehow these Southern Promoters haven't read the Memo....make them feel special! Limit the support classes, and move the show along!

I noted the late hour at a weekday show couple days back and someone posted several of us were snowflakes, hehe. Well I didn’t loose any sleep that day over the comment and I didn’t last night either, when tuned in at 10:30 I gave up. Mean no disrespect to anyone but man I don’t get it.
    I hate time trials.

track prep begins early I the week, not after hot laps, I'm not real sure that could be calle track prep, flodd the front straightaway, uncalled for.

Smoky Mtn packed
    Senoia packed
    Needmore packed
    Screven packed

These promoters gotta learn..... last night could have gone better. I looked at the heat index there about 4pm. It was 108.
    Last edited by B_K; 07-19-2020 at 10:35 AM.

I guess it just depends on what the fans are used to and what the promoters can get away with in different parts of the country. After following various types of dirt track racing (Sprint Cars, DLM's and Big Block Modifieds and a fan of all three) for close to 40 years, I feel blessed on how the tracks in my area are maintained and run. Williams Grove, Port Royal, Lincoln, Selinsgrove, BAPS, Grandview, Bridgeport and New Egypt, etc. are all up to date from a safety point of view and generally run an efficient, well run program, on a consistent basis without a lot of extra divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by GRT32 View Post
    track prep begins early I the week, not after hot laps, I'm not real sure that could be calle track prep, flodd the front straightaway, uncalled for.
    I know personally that they prepped the track all week. But it’s red clay. And red clay and temps in the high 90s all week are never a good mix. It was still 90 degrees last night at 10:00, and 85 when we headed home at 12:30. I love Screven for the most part, especially the Spring and Fall shows, but I’m not a big fan of this event — and it’s because of the heat. But we support it every year, because I know the good people involved and I know the effort they put in. I’ll critique if the issue is lack of effort or poor organization, but I’ll never critique an event when I know they did everything they could to make it work. The only thing I would change about this event is, I’d split it up into two separate events — the Southern Nationals race on whatever date they get, and the Rebel Yell the week before or the week after.

Farmer City was over about 11:30 local time Friday night. Things happen sometimes. I’m 43 and there’s not been one year of my life that I haven’t been around dirt tracks.

Are there things that need cleaned up, sure there are. We run too many classes here. That’s the main issue I see. In the summer at most places down here, you can’t start early. It’s still 90+ at 6:00pm with three more hours of daylight.

It’s just convenient IMO to say it’s a down south thing. I’ve been to terribly ran shows in a lot of places.

Run the big feature early for the fans. Run the lower divisions late. Temps of 85 or 95... does this actually make a difference in the racing from the fan perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Run the big feature early for the fans. Run the lower divisions late. Temps of 85 or 95... does this actually make a difference in the racing from the fan perspective?
    There is a huge difference between 85 with regular humidity, and 95+ w/high humidity. Somebody at the track said the heat index reached 112. There were heat index warnings issued all day by the national weather service. The only racing before the Super feature was the Super heats and two lower division features. If the show could’ve started on time, the Super feature would’ve been completed by 10:00.

Hot for drivers and fans yes but what affect does 10 more degrees have on the racetrack itself?

I mean... It is summer time. What do you really expect out of the weather. Just sayin'
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event