Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Speedway

Default Iowa Speedway

It looks as if Iowa Speedway may be history, or at the very least it will be sold.

Iowa is a very good track and probably should have had a NASCAR Cup date. Not nearly enough short tracks on the Cup schedule as it is. Much of what Iowa had going against it was very little lodging nearby and commercial air travel is sparse, at best. Des Moines, Iowa City and Quad Cities being the only commercial airline connections within a reasonable distance of the speedway.

Sad deal. We've been to Iowa Speedway a couple of times and it's a great facility and a race short track.

https://www.jayski.com/2020/07/20/wh...iowa-speedway/

I won't be sad to see it go. It's a nice facility, but the racing is boring, especially since you can go another half hour south and see better racing at Knoxville on any weekend of the summer.

Rusty should have re created Bristol (not Richmond)

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter815 View Post
    I won't be sad to see it go. It's a nice facility, but the racing is boring, especially since you can go another half hour south and see better racing at Knoxville on any weekend of the summer.
    I happen to agree regarding seeing better racing at Knoxville on any given weekend. But, some may not given that it's in the eye of the beholder. I've been to both Knoxville and Iowa Speedway and given that Indy Cars only race on pavement we won't be seeing them at Knoxville, ever. I'm sure many that post here have no particular interest in Indy Car racing but I go to 2 races every year. The Indy 500 and the Iowa race. Not because I'm sure I'm going to see a great race at Iowa but we have enjoyed our experience of camping, comradery, and yes, as often as not the racing has been worth the effort. I can't speak for NASCAR because I've never seen a truck or Xfinity race at Iowa.

I have watched good Indy car races at Iowa. This past weekend not as much. 2 races that were average. The Herta crash was scary. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I happen to agree regarding seeing better racing at Knoxville on any given weekend. But, some may not given that it's in the eye of the beholder. I've been to both Knoxville and Iowa Speedway and given that Indy Cars only race on pavement we won't be seeing them at Knoxville, ever. I'm sure many that post here have no particular interest in Indy Car racing but I go to 2 races every year. The Indy 500 and the Iowa race. Not because I'm sure I'm going to see a great race at Iowa but we have enjoyed our experience of camping, comradery, and yes, as often as not the racing has been worth the effort. I can't speak for NASCAR because I've never seen a truck or Xfinity race at Iowa.
    I have been to one IndyCar race there and it was a snooze. The cars got stretch out quickly and only five cars finished on the lead lap. I think it was in 2018 when there were only 4 lead changes in the entire race.

Rusty Wallace designed speedway

I have been to one IndyCar race there and it was a snooze. The cars got stretch out quickly and only five cars finished on the lead lap. I think it was in 2018 when there were only 4 lead changes in the entire race.
    Yep, I remember that one. Couldn't agree more. I also remember the year (2015, I think) Ryan Hunter-Reay held off Josef Newgarden and Sage Karem in a fantastic race and finish. Ed Carpenter went after Karem over a late race dust up that Ed wasn't happy with. They all can't be epic. I've been to over 20 World Hundreds and about 1/5th of them were not good. The difference being we had to put up with a bunch of stinky people who had drank themselves into the A-hole category at the World. Not so much at Iowa for the Indy Cars.

Stories like this remind me of Pikes Peak Intl Raceway. A really nice race track, just not built exactly where Big N wanted it built. PPIR was built in 1997 but the powers that be never really wanted a big track south of Colorado Springs, they wanted one up by Denver.

I worked at a few races at PPIR, it was a really nice facility; one mile oval, seamless wall, tunnel to the infield, lowest seat in the grandstand was at the level of the flagman, closed circuit TVs at the concession areas, nice garage, infield road course, and a direct exit to the Interstate highway. After maybe eight years they got bought out (by ISC) and Texas got the scoreboard, a bunch of seats and office equipment went, and Martinsville got second BGN date. PPIR still holds races but not the big shows they once did. At the time Big N just wanted to build 1.5 mile cookie cutter Charlotte clones where they wanted them. Well, how's that working out.

I'd like to see a series going to places like PPIR, Iowa, Memphis, Nashville Fairgrounds, Milwaukee and few other places, especially short tracks. He!!, the truck series was actually really good in the first few years before they went to the big tracks. I don't mind that Iowa is a Richmond copy, Richmond produced some pretty good racing, its just that Rusty always did pretty well there so.. If you're gonna copy a track, copy Rockingham.

The progressive banking at Iowa Speedway makes the racing less interesting than at Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs153 View Post
    Stories like this remind me of Pikes Peak Intl Raceway. A really nice race track, just not built exactly where Big N wanted it built. PPIR was built in 1997 but the powers that be never really wanted a big track south of Colorado Springs, they wanted one up by Denver.

I worked at a few races at PPIR, it was a really nice facility; one mile oval, seamless wall, tunnel to the infield, lowest seat in the grandstand was at the level of the flagman, closed circuit TVs at the concession areas, nice garage, infield road course, and a direct exit to the Interstate highway. After maybe eight years they got bought out (by ISC) and Texas got the scoreboard, a bunch of seats and office equipment went, and Martinsville got second BGN date. PPIR still holds races but not the big shows they once did. At the time Big N just wanted to build 1.5 mile cookie cutter Charlotte clones where they wanted them. Well, how's that working out.

I'd like to see a series going to places like PPIR, Iowa, Memphis, Nashville Fairgrounds, Milwaukee and few other places, especially short tracks. He!!, the truck series was actually really good in the first few years before they went to the big tracks. I don't mind that Iowa is a Richmond copy, Richmond produced some pretty good racing, its just that Rusty always did pretty well there so.. If you're gonna copy a track, copy Rockingham.
    Good post, Morgs. I often wondered what happened with PPIR. I believe the USAC Silver Crown cars raced at PPIR a few times back in the day and for the most part put on a great show. It's still a bit hard to believe that USAC raced their National Midget division at PPIR numerous times back in the day. The midgets seldom get near a 1/2 mile track these days, let alone a paved mile!

What you say about NASCAR wanting a track nearer to Denver is accurate. PPIR faced many of the same challenges as Gateway International near St. Louis did/does.

The Indy Cars have been shut out of several really good venue's where they put on their best racing. Chicagoland is a prime example! The best Indy Car racing I've ever seen took place at Chicagoland. Sadly, NASCAR/ISC basically ran them off. Thankfully the Indy Cars are still running a few ovals with Texas being one of them. The Indy Cars put on a much better show at Texas in comparison to NASCAR Cup. It's doubtful that the Indy Cars would still race at Texas if it was owned by ISC.
    The progressive banking at Iowa Speedway makes the racing less interesting than at Richmond.
    The Indy Cars raced at Richmond 9 times from 2001 thru 2009 and I don't recall even one of those races being remarkably good. The NASCAR taxi cabs used to put on a good show at Richmond but the past half dozen races there haven't been all that good. In spite of that I make an appoint to watch the Cup race at Richmond since it's the only track at which I would actually still like to attend a Cup race.

In regards to the Indy Cars at Richmond vs. Iowa I'll give the edge to Iowa. But again, it's mostly in the eye of the beholder.

I tend to agree with this.

AMA super bike ran the modified roval course at PPIR. Great events. I was lucky enough to see a few of those.

Original Chicagoland. Great track. Miss that one too.
    Last edited by Rajflyboy; 07-22-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    AMA super bike ran the modified roval course at PPIR. Great events. I was lucky enough to see a few of those.
    I never knew the bikes raced at PPIR! Had to be a good show. Those guys could put on a good show on a Walmart parking lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Original Chicagoland. Great track. Miss that one too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chic...ace_Course.jpg
    Raj, that was Chicago Motor Speedway. Nasty Ganassi owned and operated it. It was in the Cicero area of chitcago and was doomed from the get-go. The neighborhood around the speedway was not all that great and there was a whole lotta' bitchin' about the noise and traffic connected to the track. I went there for an ASA 200 miler with the USAC National Midgets as the support class. It was a world class facility but it was flat and it was a huggy pole bottom feeder track for the stock cars. There was more action and excitement in the 25 lap midget A-main than in the whole 200 lap ASA stock car race.

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if ol' nasty took a bath on that deal!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I never knew the bikes raced at PPIR! Had to be a good show. Those guys could put on a good show on a Walmart parking lot!Raj, that was Chicago Motor Speedway. Nasty Ganassi owned and operated it. It was in the Cicero area of chitcago and was doomed from the get-go. The neighborhood around the speedway was not all that great and there was a whole lotta' bitchin' about the noise and traffic connected to the track. I went there for an ASA 200 miler with the USAC National Midgets as the support class. It was a world class facility but it was flat and it was a huggy pole bottom feeder track for the stock cars. There was more action and excitement in the 25 lap midget A-main than in the whole 200 lap ASA stock car race.I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if ol' nasty took a bath on that deal!
    Thanks for clarifying that. I had always wondered the actual name of that place. I had thought that was called Chicagoland and was confused by the Juliet track. I still go to AMA races when I can. It’s usually competitive and element of risk is high.

I found this on YouTube. No AMA but still awesome. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2ycoQJMFA

It puzzles me that some folks (mcarter815) would not mind or feel any remorse on yet another track going by the wayside. So u found that some tracks may not dazzle u so then u would not be "shook" that a track dies into some non racing development. If ya been around a long time like myself and CIRF, we have seen way to many venues go away. Wake up dude, racing, especially in 2020 is fragile and subject to changes in a heartbeat. Appreciate what we have and don't be so cavalier.

Late Model Mark
    Talladega Short Track Announcer