Default Side force on drivers entering corner

I like to sit towards turn 1 in the grandstand at Cherokee. I enjoy seeing how the drivers whip the car into the turning maintain that slip angle through the turn. How is this from the drivers perspective? G force and side force? I would think you would have to have strong arms/neck to do this over and over. (Even with the safety equipment seat and all).

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    I like to sit towards turn 1 in the grandstand at Cherokee. I enjoy seeing how the drivers whip the car into the turning maintain that slip angle through the turn. How is this from the drivers perspective? G force and side force? I would think you would have to have strong arms/neck to do this over and over. (Even with the safety equipment seat and all).
    I don't have any data from Cherokee, but other fast tracks easily pull 2 to 2.5 lateral G's

The seats hold you up now, not nearly as big an issue as before the containment seats or seats without shoulder supports and head rests.

Is that why when the drivers are goin into the corner or coming out of the you see their heads kind of looking to the side

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I don't have any data from Cherokee, but other fast tracks easily pull 2 to 2.5 lateral G'sThe seats hold you up now, not nearly as big an issue as before the containment seats or seats without shoulder supports and head rests.
    Thank god for containment seats

For me it's much more noticeable at the small/ fast tracks where you never really straighten the car up. A place like path valley pa you feel like your head is just buried in the head rest all night lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    For me it's much more noticeable at the small/ fast tracks where you never really straighten the car up. A place like path valley pa you feel like your head is just buried in the head rest all night lol
    Indy 500 coverage a few years did a segment on Tony Kanaan He has a neck workout. Lays on couch with a weight and lifts his neck up. Pretty impressive.
    Last edited by Rajflyboy; 07-22-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Nigel Mansell used to say his collar size would go up over the course of an F1 season due to his neck and shoulder muscles getting bigger.

I don't know how accurate it is, but if you go to the Speedway Car Cams YouTube page their videos have MPH and G forces on them. They have to have some from Cherokee.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Like BBC said, the seat holds you together for the most part. My legs get more tired than anything. Your left leg has nothing to lean against. After a long run I find my left leg leaning over against my right leg (which is leaning right also against the firewall. Not the most orthodox of driving positions. I want to find a way to give my left leg a brace to lean against so that it doesn't lean over so far, without making it dangerous during a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Tazwell comes to mind. I've heard several guys say it's like racing in a cereal bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Tazwell comes to mind. I've heard several guys say it's like racing in a cereal bowl.
    I can only imagine path is nothing like Tazewell

Quote Originally Posted by Austin34471 View Post
    Like BBC said, the seat holds you together for the most part. My legs get more tired than anything. Your left leg has nothing to lean against. After a long run I find my left leg leaning over against my right leg (which is leaning right also against the firewall. Not the most orthodox of driving positions. I want to find a way to give my left leg a brace to lean against so that it doesn't lean over so far, without making it dangerous during a crash.
    Because I'm so tall, I had to sit with the bottom of the seat forward a lot to get my head down (back then cars weren't as tall with the cage) so that puts my knee's up more then normal. That makes my left knee hit the steering column from G forces, I had to add padding to the column and rod end there after banging the hell out of it. It was really bad on rough tracks where G's weren't constant where the leg would rest again it, but banging your knee over and over against a steel object over and over was pretty painful.

That channel on YouTube is good. Shows footwork at many tracks including Cherokee. Thanks

I pulled up a sub 14 second lap from magnolia

2.41 lateral G's

1.58 longitudinal G"s stabbing the brakes

.66 G's accelerating at end of straightaway

Max yaw in car (How sideways) = 36.4 degrees

way back when i first started racing , i thought i could not see to the right well enough and decided to take the head support off , back then you only had the little bill on the rt side , i ran the feature and liked not to have finished the race , put it back on before i left the track that night....i guess that was my blond moment.....lol.....