Default Congratulations Bret Holmes

Skip to content

MENU

Bret Holmes, driver of the #23 Holmes II Excavation Chevrolet, holds the trophy after winning the ARCA Menards Dawn 150 on July 24, 2020 at Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kansas. (Ed Zurga/ARCA Racing)
    Bret Holmes, driver of the #23 Holmes II Excavation Chevrolet, holds the trophy after winning the Dawn 150 for the ARCA Menards Series on July 24, 2020 at Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kansas. (Ed Zurga/ARCA Racing)
    Bret Holmes Finally Gets To Savor Win At Kansas Speedway
    BYJASON CHRISTLEY WWW.ARCARACING.COM JULY 25, 2020
    KANSAS CITY, Ks. — Finally.

Following a string of strong runs, Bret Holmes finally got to experience the emotions of standing in Victory Lane in the ARCA Menards Series. He earned that with a dominating performance Friday night in the Dawn 150 at Kansas Speedway.

The 23-year-old Munford, Alabama, driver put the family-owned No. 23 Holmes II Excavation Chevrolet out front for 82 laps and crossed the finish line 14.458 seconds ahead of runner-up Ryan Repko.

It was the first career win in his 69th career start for Holmes, who began racing in the series as a 19-year-old in 2016. After a third-place finish in the championship standings last year, Holmes put together five straight finishes of seventh or better — including a second and two thirds — since the return to racing in June.

RELATED: Dawn 150 Results | Bret Holmes Career Stats

"We’ve been working so hard for this," said Holmes, who had led 42 laps in his career and just 17 before this season. "I’ve been working my whole life for this. My team did this for me. It’s been a long tough road. I just thank my family and my friends. They believed in me when I didn’t.

"It’s tough being the underdog. Tired as hell. I drove my ass off. We’re going to keep our head down and get some more."

Riley Herbst, who started on the pole because the starting lineup was set by owner’s points, finished third. Corey Heim was fourth and Tanner Gray overcame an early penalty to take fifth.

Championship points leader Michael Self was sixth. It was his eighth straight top 10 to start the season but also represented back-to-back finishes outside the top five. That has allowed Holmes to chop Self’s points lead down to nine.

Dollar was seventh, followed by Derek Griffith, Hailie Deegan and Thad Moffitt.

Dollar, Deegan and Moffitt are third through fifth, respectively, in the points.

The ARCA Menards Series heads home to Ohio’s Toledo Speedway for a unique doubleheader. The Menards.com 200 presented by SPxE will be Friday, followed by the Menards 200 presented by Crosley Brands on Saturday. Both races will air live on MAVTV and stream online on TrackPass on NBC Gold.

Bret Holmes, driver of the #23 Holmes II Excavation Chevrolet, races during the ARCA Menards Dawn 150 on July 24, 2020 at Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kansas. (Ed Zurga/ARCA Racing)
    Bret Holmes, driver of the #23 Holmes II Excavation Chevrolet, races during the Dawn 150 for the ARCA Menards Series on July 24, 2020 at Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kansas. (Ed Zurga/ARCA Racing)
    RELATED NEWS
    PRACTICE: Bret Holmes Sets The Pace At Kansas Speedway
    PRACTICE: Bret Holmes Sets The Pace At Kansas Speedway
    Bret Holmes Hopes To Finally Find Victory Lane at Kansas Speedway
    Bret Holmes Hopes To Finally Find Victory Lane at Kansas Speedway
    PIT BOX: Michael Self Leads Way Back To Kansas Speedway
    PIT BOX: Michael Self Leads Way Back To Kansas Speedway
    1 OF 180
    PARTNERS
    STAY IN TOUCH - SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER

First Name
    FIRST NAME
    Last Name
    LAST NAME
    Email
    EMAIL
    MAIN
    News
    Schedule / Results
    Broadcast Schedule
    DRIVERS
    Drivers
    PARTNERS
    Sponsors
    Tracks
    ARCA
    Competitor Site
    ARCA Staff
    ARCA Midwest Tour
    ARCA CRA Super Series
    Flat Rock Speedway
    Toledo Speedway
    ARCA
    ARCARACING.COM IS PART OF THE NASCAR DIGITAL MEDIA NETWORK. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use and Accessibility.
    DO NOT SELL MY INFO (CALIFORNIA)

COPYRIGHT 2020 ARCA RACING.
    Last edited by wells12; 07-25-2020 at 04:52 PM.