Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 11 year old kid in a late model

At the Lake Ozark Speedway Summernationals race, sorry but that’s way too young.

Why is it too young?? If he started racing karts at 4-5, he's probably ready

If he’s talented enough, experienced enough, and mature enough ... never mind. Still probably too young. But ya never know when or where the next phenom might show up.

The kid hasn't even hit puberty yet for crying out loud. Maybe race some type of limited class, but someone is entering him in open events. I hope he doesn't end up hurt.

Is this the same kid that ran another Missouri SN race recently? I thought I heard he was in a crate, which is even worse if his parents (or whoever) are sticking him out there with open late models (of a high caliber, too). If so, what is to be gained by that?

But what do I know...maybe he wins the show and gets a start on the old college fund early.

NOT saying this kid in MO is the next Bobby Pierce, but didn't Bobby start in a LM around 12-13???

Is this youngster in a crate car, or open moror?

Personally, I think 11 is a little young, but not my kid.
    If he was in a mod or super stock, would opinions change??

Too much horsepower for the brain capacity and discipline level (of even the best of the best 11 year olds). Too many people who could be hurt if something goes wrong.

Regardless of age, I think SLM on dirt should have a minimum speed in order to race. For example, if the field is running 13-14 second laps and someone is putting around 18-19's, that puts everyone at risk.

I remember Allgaier coming to LaSalle and running an open late model, somewhere around the age of 13, I think. And yes, a big difference between 11 and 13. Justin obviously had the right people around him as well.

Didn't Jeff Gordon's family move to Indiana from California when he was 13, because in Cali you had to be 16 (or something) to drive a sprint, but not in Indy? In the end, I'd say it's on a case by case basis. I'm in favor of minimum standards as for speed or lap times, too.

This has been disputed back when Michael Lake started at like 10 Yrs old in a Late Model.. The thing is , yeah they can handle the car. Seems the biggest argument is or was then, a youngster being able to absorb some of the accidents that come with the sport. Head trauma, and other things.. Seems like the cars are safer these days tho..

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I remember Allgaier coming to LaSalle and running an open late model, somewhere around the age of 13, I think. And yes, a big difference between 11 and 13. Justin obviously had the right people around him as well.Didn't Jeff Gordon's family move to Indiana from California when he was 13, because in Cali you had to be 16 (or something) to drive a sprint, but not in Indy? In the end, I'd say it's on a case by case basis. I'm in favor of minimum standards as for speed or lap times, too.
    Very good analysis of this 👍

Eleven, twelve and thirteen year olds are little kids and if their folks want to get them started in racing there's plenty of places for them; go karts, quarter midgets, small motorcycles, drag racing classes for them and such. They don't belong out there in Late Models, full blown Sprints, Modifieds or any other type of very high speed cars driven by adults.

Just try to imagine what would happen to all racing if one of them were badly hurt or even killed in the fast stuff. Even worse ask yourself how you would handle it if you were involved in the accident, whether at fault or not. I know I don't want to race with them. Let them be kids for a while as there's plenty of time to be adults. What's the big hurry to grow up?

Quote Originally Posted by MadDad Racing View Post
    This has been disputed back when Michael Lake started at like 10 Yrs old in a Late Model.. The thing is , yeah they can handle the car. Seems the biggest argument is or was then, a youngster being able to absorb some of the accidents that come with the sport. Head trauma, and other things.. Seems like the cars are safer these days tho..
    Interestingly enough, Michael is stepping away from racing after this weekend.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Eleven, twelve and thirteen year olds are little kids and if their folks want to get them started in racing there's plenty of places for them; go karts, quarter midgets, small motorcycles, drag racing classes for them and such. They don't belong out there in Late Models, full blown Sprints, Modifieds or any other type of very high speed cars driven by adults. Just try to imagine what would happen to all racing if one of them were badly hurt or even killed in the fast stuff. Even worse ask yourself how you would handle it if you were involved in the accident, whether at fault or not. I know I don't want to race with them. Let them be kids for a while as there's plenty of time to be adults. What's the big hurry to grow up?
    So when a youngster races the "slower" class & gets hurt or killed, that is ok??? That does even make sense. Actually that is a really stupid statement. SMH

Lake stepping away. That is one large kid, last time I saw him anyhow. If this 11 year old is not getting into situations where cars are getting torn up and he has the abilities to get the car around the track then I say go for it. The safety measures in today's cars are so much different. These containment seats alone along with the forms of head and neck restraints is huge from what was around 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 0_VodooChild_0 View Post
    So when a youngster races the "slower" class & gets hurt or killed, that is ok??? That does even make sense. Actually that is a really stupid statement. SMH
    Motocross, enduro, go karts, mini sprints (millbridge speedway). Plenty for these youngens to race.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Lake stepping away. That is one large kid, last time I saw him anyhow. If this 11 year old is not getting into situations where cars are getting torn up and he has the abilities to get the car around the track then I say go for it. The safety measures in today's cars are so much different. These containment seats alone along with the forms of head and neck restraints is huge from what was around 10 years ago.
    Isn’t he the kid that intentionally wrecked Erb at East Bay?

Didn't a guy driving the #8 in nascar start out at 11 or 12 in a LM ?
    If your getting passed,YOUR AS SLOW AS ME !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill31 View Post
    Didn't a guy driving the #8 in nascar start out at 11 or 12 in a LM ?
    The #3 did. Austin Dillon was like 14 at the big Colossal race in Charlotte back in like 2007. I just basically laughed at him in line to get autographs from all the great late model drivers. Didn’t mean too but just couldn’t help myself.

Tyler Red(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) was either 12 or 13 when he started.