Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If the goal is to move a driver to Cup then you're wasting your time and money in Late Models (or for that matter anything) in Missouri, 11, 12, 14. That's the only reason I can think of to jump to a late model from karts at 11 years old. You need to pick up the family and move to Charlotte and run Millbridge and the Shootout at CMS for a couple of years working to build connections between your business and backers to take you out to run for the K&N championship by the age of 15. And you have to do it right now, any time doing anything else at all in the next 4 years DRAMATICALLY reduces the chances of getting to Cup. Mom and Dad will have to commute by plane to handle their business assets back in Mo. I don't like it at all but the fact of the matter is in this day and age if you aren't in xfinity by 20 or 21, you're going to be considered moldy and washed up by any sponsor or team. Am I wrong? Not if you look at the starting grid on Sunday I'm not. Also, the Longhorn House car isn't the most coveted short track ride in North Carolina. Tim Ladyga's #48 legend is.
    Last edited by Rocky; 07-26-2020 at 01:55 AM.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

How long did Rusty Schlenk have to wait to be old enough to run Eldora?
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Outside of the “friends of NASCAR” group” I don’t see much happening for younger folks moving from Millbridge to big time paved track racing. Heck.. even Bubba Pollard and Steven Nasse can’t move up and they are 100% legit on pavement.

The most important part of my post was start networking for sponsorships and basically become one of the friends of NASCAR. Bubba Pollard and Steven Nasse are good against 13 - 19 year olds in asphalt late models but what they do is like the L.A. Lakers winning YMCA rec league games. Asphalt racing is straight up trash. Driver development has turned it into high school JV football. It hurts my feelings to type that but it is what it is and it has been for a long time now.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

Asphalt late model is getting better as of late. 5 flags speedway events are very good and competitive

Maybe it's getting better, but I grew up on Trickle, Mike Eddy, Bob Senneker, Butch Miller and many,many more and that's just template body stuff the outlaw cars had Joy Fair, Larry Zent, Bobby Blount, Tim Felver, John Doering, Tim Ice, Chuck Roumel etc, etc. They used to have ASA and ARTGO up North and All Pro in the South and those series all had their own stars today they have about 5 guys and they're racing against high school kids. Just like Lucas and WoO have today they had names. Then all these guys saw that that was where NASCAR drivers came from and driver development became a thing. Asphalt Late model became the next division up from go-karts and turned into a joke and not a Dave Chappelle funny joke. A joke that say Whoopi Goldberg would tell.

You want to see dirt late models die the rest of the way, let it become about driver development.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

I know one driver of the 48 legend car and he has had a few interviews with trucks and Xfinity teams
    The first thing all of them ask is how much money can you bring. Money is always going to trump age. Look at the guy that caused the wreck in cup the other week with a stupid move his best finish in trucks and Xfinity was 15th. Now hes running cup because he is paying for the ride.
    Last edited by tsand; 07-26-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsand View Post
    I know one driver of the 48 legend car and he has had a few interviews with trucks and Xfinity teams The first thing all of them ask is how much money can you bring. Money is always going to trump age. Look at the guy that caused the wreck in cup the other week with a stupid move his best finish in trucks and Xfinity was 15th. Now hes running cup because he is paying for the ride.
    I think you got this right (and usually they become “Friends of NASCAR”). I do 6hink paved late model is making a comeback but we have no big time touring series yet (cars tour isn’t horrible by the way)

Unfortunately racing has become all about the money. Can you imagine an NFL team announcing 'at starting quarterback, Johnny Noarm from southeastern community college. Johnny would like to thank his sponsors, Noarm energy drink!'. You can't buy your way to the top in many sports, but racing has become one you can! Just have to remember there are still many talented racers out there that do make it (Red(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), Bell, Larson...).

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    Unfortunately racing has become all about the money. Can you imagine an NFL team announcing 'at starting quarterback, Johnny Noarm from southeastern community college. Johnny would like to thank his sponsors, Noarm energy drink!'. You can't buy your way to the top in many sports, but racing has become one you can! Just have to remember there are still many talented racers out there that do make it (Red(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), Bell, Larson...).
    Yes and somehow over the last 15 years or so it has gotten much worse. Even with go karts you have kids showing up with trailers full of karts, tires, engines, parts.

I also know someone that also shows what wrong with racing. He and his father take care of legend cars. They have six cars they take care of. With a lot more people wanting their service but six keeps them pretty busy. They get 600 a week per car. That includes up keep any repairs and driver instruction from a many time champion. All the kids have to do is show up with suit and helmet . They know nothing about how to work on cars or how to set them up. This is the future of racing kids that knows how to drive but nothing about the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by tsand View Post
    I also know someone that also shows what wrong with racing. He and his father take care of legend cars. They have six cars they take care of. With a lot more people wanting their service but six keeps them pretty busy. They get 600 a week per car. That includes up keep any repairs and driver instruction from a many time champion. All the kids have to do is show up with suit and helmet . They know nothing about how to work on cars or how to set them up. This is the future of racing kids that knows how to drive but nothing about the cars.
    Kyle and Kurt Busch had to work on their legends cars with help from dad. They also had to order parts at 04:30 am on Monday pacific coast time so they would have them by the next weekend. Dad taught them the work effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Kyle and Kurt Busch had to work on their legends cars with help from dad. They also had to order parts at 04:30 am on Monday pacific coast time so they would have them by the next weekend. Dad taught them the work effort.
    That was also 20 years ago. I guess I hijacked this thread and made it about something that it wasn't supposed to be about.

I want to, if I ever can string together the time within the next year put my niece in a mini wedge, she just turned 7, so hopefully by 11 or 12 I can put her in a hornet for a season then into an IMCA modified for a couple of years, maybe forever if I still have a late model, maybe in the late model. I'll be out of trying to drive myself by then I think. However she's gonna have to pound on the doors looking for sponsors if that's ever going to happen. I'm not a rich uncle or anything.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.