Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Chris Tilley Has Left The Southern Nationals

Per Tilley's Facebook he has left the So Nats after being with the tour for 13 years.

Am I wrong in thinking that marriage has been strained a few times in the past?

Was he one of the announcers? Noticed they didn’t have one of the normal two at 411 last night.
    Last edited by weatherman85; 07-25-2020 at 09:06 PM.

In an earlier So Nats race they were short on officials down on the track and Tilley went down to help so he wasn't in the booth for that race. When he wasn't in the booth last night I figured the same thing happened. ..... But on his FB he says he left the series today, no mention of last night at all.

So who knows.

A lot of people wish he would leave racing altogether... everything he’s touched, he’s either killed or put it on life support (SAS)... the guy is the biggest clown in Motorsports.

If you listen to the HTF podcast, a lot of people complained about the tire rule between seniors and then needmore... they added a softer compound because they knew everyone would have to buy them. When asked why this was the case, Tilley replied that “it would provide better racing” (a lie).... he also said like a smarta$$ “oh well, you can’t please everyone” and laughed....

Never had a problem with him personally. Being insensitive to people complaining isn’t exactly a character flaw. Hell if people in racing listen to everyone we’d be racing unicorns on rainbows. Best of luck Mr. Tilley.

Wonder if it had anything to do with the call made on 58 & 44 ?
    2021 tracks
    Florence 2
    Atomic 2
    (PPV) & Streams ( 2 many)
    (MMP) 1
    (PRP) 3
    (BrushCreek) 1
    (the Rock) 1

My understanding: someone on Facebook was bashing him Friday/Saturday

I enjoyed their( him and despain) call throughout the summer national series......
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by DLC View Post
    Wonder if it had anything to do with the call made on 58 & 44 ?
    Thought Tilley's call was a good one. It wasn't controversial or opinionated at all. Madden spun Bailes going into 3 and Tilley's exact words were, "Madden got into the back of the 58, oh the bad luck continues for Bailes. He may have got a little help from the 44 there".

I do not know if this would have anything to do with Tilley leaving but I did notice him advocating for a politician during a call of a race early in the series. I understand most of his audience are confederates but not all and with plenty of race fans of varying persuasion not much upside in angering a segment of the paying costumer. ...... Again I do not know but wonder if his bosses would rather he keep politics out of a call of a race.

These So Nats were my first exposure to Tilley. As mentioned in the Ruben, the SN announcer, thread I look for one of two things from an announcer in any sport. They either entertain, inform or both and for me Tilley is a wealth of information. The guy knows the sport, the people in it and the equipment.

Quite frankly I thought this thread would have 10 pages. Thought Tilley fans would think he's fantastic and can see how he would bother a segment of the listening fans too.

TeNfOMafia 65

Seems as if you have something personal against Tilley??
    Doesn’t appear anyone else shares your thoughts on him.

Because most people commenting have only known about Tilley the last few years... they weren’t around when he helped destroy the BoB series the first time, destroyed the Advance Auto Parts series, and almost destroyed the SAS series... by himself....

If he has done so much bad for the sport why does he keep getting hired?

Care to explain how/what he did to ruin those series?
    He owns the iron man series that is still operating.
    Hey, I am not badgeri g you - just like more info as to what your thoughts are based from. You may know more than the rest of us.

Or no ? I think you’ll love him in charge of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ricochet View Post
    Thought Tilley's call was a good one. It wasn't controversial or opinionated at all. Madden spun Bailes going into 3 and Tilley's exact words were, "Madden got into the back of the 58, oh the bad luck continues for Bailes. He may have got a little help from the 44 there".

I do not know if this would have anything to do with Tilley leaving but I did notice him advocating for a politician during a call of a race early in the series. I understand most of his audience are confederates but not all and with plenty of race fans of varying persuasion not much upside in angering a segment of the paying costumer. ...... Again I do not know but wonder if his bosses would rather he keep politics out of a call of a race.

These So Nats were my first exposure to Tilley. As mentioned in the Ruben, the SN announcer, thread I look for one of two things from an announcer in any sport. They either entertain, inform or both and for me Tilley is a wealth of information. The guy knows the sport, the people in it and the equipment.

Quite frankly I thought this thread would have 10 pages. Thought Tilley fans would think he's fantastic and can see how he would bother a segment of the listening fans too.
    Confederates? What is this 1863?

A flag, some statues, and a war fought 155 years ago only defines the South to those too narrow minded to actually look. Take all of it down and you’ll still have a bunch of us proud of our heritage and none of that includes owning or selling anyone. A simple life built on honest values, your word, and common sense is my heritage. You can keep all that other nonsense you’re supposed to believe about us confederates.

Very well said BK !!

Kayaking on the Genesee River in NY state, and spending time at my cabin in Letchworth State Park

I'm hardly ever getting into things like this, but in this case, I will make an exception !

My number one rule as a stock car racing fanatic for almost sixty-five years was to NEVER mix politics into a broadcast or conversation; so at one of the SN races a few weeks back this announcer broke my rule of mentioning something political and from that point on I quit listening to the broadcast on DOD and watched the broadcast on MUTE !

I for one am glad he's gone ! Ray can do better with someone else behind the mike !

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMagic1619* View Post
    I'm hardly ever getting into things like this, but in this case, I will make an exception !

My number one rule as a stock car racing fanatic for almost sixty-five years was to NEVER mix politics into a broadcast or conversation; so at one of the SN races a few weeks back this announcer broke my rule of mentioning something political and from that point on I quit listening to the broadcast on DOD and watched the broadcast on MUTE !

I for one am glad he's gone ! Ray can do better with someone else behind the mike !

You do that with all political remarks in sports or just the ones with opposing views as yours? Honest question not meant as anything else.

Athletes, networks, etc have forgotten a big part of what people love about sports. It’s a place to go escape all the noise for a few hours and just enjoy the game/competition.

Post 16 is about as good as it gets when explaining southern heritage versus southern heritage perception by agenda driven dumb a$$es.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????