Thread: Ford engines

Default Ford engines

Whats the difference between the D3 and the RY45? What would be the advantage of either engine? I have a buddy getting a new engine from a reputable builder and they are doing the D3. I was under the impression that the RY45 was a better combo. I’m a chevy guy so i am not on top of those engines and just curious.

d3 is a cleveland head base, ry45 is the aluminum version of the nascar fr9. theyre both good but i hear alot of folks prefer the d3 over the ry45

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    d3 is a cleveland head base, ry45 is the aluminum version of the nascar fr9. theyre both good but i hear alot of folks prefer the d3 over the ry45
    The d3 is the new flavor of the day.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

a 366 cid D3 headed engine won at TST sat night , you would be surprised how many older C3 heads are still out there running and winning , IMO , they all make plenty of power , its just where they make power thats important , with the proper cam , any of them is still competitive .......

Ford motors are heavy af

it's all about the torque curve. I beleive the ry stuff is very high strung and the d3 stuff has a flatter more drivable curve. I know Richards and most of the ford guys prefer the d3 stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    it's all about the torque curve. I beleive the ry stuff is very high strung and the d3 stuff has a flatter more drivable curve. I know Richards and most of the ford guys prefer the d3 stuff
    Ry was so more drivable than a Chevy. Now D3 is so more driveable than ry. Guy still win with Chevy. Beats me?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

we have had them all , my personal preference is the D3 on a 410..... mostly because of because of what Jking said.....

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Ry was so more drivable than a Chevy. Now D3 is so more driveable than ry. Guy still win with Chevy. Beats me?
    most of the guys i know that have had both of the top teir stuff. It's not necessarily wether one is more drivable than the others but witch fits the particular drivers preference for instance most don't know that while saterlee has never stopped using Durham he did switch from Fords to chevys and it made a big difference. Overton switched from cornett Fords to clements chevys. Davenport from Durham Fords to cornett chevys. We've only ever had the cornett chevy stuff and i can tell you i don't know how you could get an engine to run any smoother. I also know sombody that recently wanted to switch from a cornett Chevy to a Ford and jack told them he didn't think it mattered the ford was technically a few numbers higher in the dyno but the curve was virtually identical and the difference wasn't enough to be noticeable in the car. They bought one anyway. It's been sold lol
    Last edited by Jking24; 07-30-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Nobody runs a Chevy in Supers anymore. Not one part is from GM. Can't say that about the Fords...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Nobody runs a Chevy in Supers anymore. Not one part is from GM. Can't say that about the Fords...
    Just because ford sells them doesent mean they make them. The Fords are no different then the chevys