Default Are dominant drivers good for a racing series?

https://insidedirtracing.com/turn-2-...racing-series/

Is it good for a series to have a driver, or a couple of drivers, who seemingly win everything?

Fun article to read. Found it interesting with Covid canceling or restricting attendance this yr that the last two races of the series at 411 and Taz did not draw as well as last yr. Especially with Overton and Madden neck and neck for the points championship and you could add if Bailes would look to get some get back on Madden and possibly thwart his winning the points championship.

I think total domination for a series inhibits interest but it depends on the series/tour. Lucas and WoO have the best of the best of the best with well resourced teams and the racing works itself out but the Summer Nats and So Nats are a different animal IMO.

Car counts and quality of fields at SN and So Nats are what makes for a good race for the fan even if you have a guy dominating. A competitive race for 2nd thru 10th can make it a good race while a guy wins his 4th in a row.

How do you get a good car count with solid quality down to 10th or so? IMO the pay down is important and I like how the SN give $2,000 to whoever wins the points that week. Those two things can help make the quality more consistent for a series/tour that isn't the WoO or Lucas.

So the answer to the question isn't so simple for me. For me it can be a very good race or series even when a driver wins his 4th in a row.

I'm not sure how to answer this one. Unless it is your favorite driver dominating, you are likely to get tired of it. At least that holds true for me. It was great watching Gordon dominate the late 90's! Then when JJ won his 4th, 5th, 6th and eventually 7th championship it was not so great. it just got old. I felt the same way watching BShepp pick up the SDN this past weekend. I have nothing for or against BShepp or Team Rocket, but it is refreshing to see different faces in victory lane. I'll still attend the next race regardless of the odds that driver X or Y win, but I think I am more hopeful for an entertaining night than anything.

I think what makes it worse is when the announcers, "media" etc act disappointed when someone that HAS dominated or recently been on a streak DID NOT win a race like it's a big let down. I'm not talking about fans bc fans will always be disappounted their driver didn't win, but people that should have a totally unbiased opinion and if they can't they should not be making the comments. It puts alot of pressure on that driver/team and makes it sound like the rest of the field was a second thought
    Yes, it does get old when someone dominates but like Ricochet said, there can be some really good racing for 2nd-10th even with someone dominating. I'll take good racing any day of the week no matter how I get it.....

I don’t think it’s healthy for one driver to dominate a series or a weekly race track for that matter.
    I hate time trials.

Drivers and teams have been dominating racing forever. It is better when you have different winners, but that doesn't happen all that often. Where ever the Rocket one decides to run, it will most likely win. Woo is the lucky series again this year. The one car and everyone else. Just the way it is.
    Lucas seems to be offering a little more variety this year. The O show has been tough, but they are beatable at times.

I think after 14 years of Ray having the Southernationals- there is no reason to have $3,500 to win races. It should be like the Summernationals- 5k minimum. Also make everyone race heat races - no locking i. Cars based on qualifying. Fans pay to see them race- not qualify. Ray is a good guy & provides a lot of racing for the teams/fans but it’s time to do away with a $3,500 to win 35 lap race on a regional tour. If Smoky Mountain, Wythe, 411, Needmore & Tazwell can pay 10k- why would Volunteer only pay 3,500 with the amount of seating they have. If Ray wants more bigger name drivers- change it up for 2021- up those 3,500 races to a minimum of 5k. If tracks don’t want to pay it- don’t schedule those tracks. Make everyone race heats - I personally will not attend a race that locks in drivers based on qualifying. If you keep doing what you always do- your going get the same results!
    Keep those long standing tracks on the series that are paying the money and replace those who are not!
    Just my thoughts which don’t mean doodle squat!

I'm with you, Foxfire. You gotta have heats if only cuz it gives the fan 2,3 or 4 more LM races that night. I'd add although qualifying is a part of a program it is not racing, it's driving around in a circle fast. Two very different things. .........

My first So Nats and I enjoyed the he!! out of it. Thought the depth of fields were at least as good as the SN and love the high banked 1/3rds, 3/8ths and 4/10ths surfaces the majority raced on. . .........

Raising purses is always an answer but would raising the 35's to 5k bring a McDowell out for more races? Or would instead raising the payouts down the field get 2-3 more Hedgeco$#'s to race a few more? ........ Would having 3-4-5-6 more mid tier guys make the show better or 1-2 more top racers?

I love heats but with the cost of late models I can see why some would not want heats. It’s more wear and tear on equipment.

Not Late Models, but in the 1980's when Steve Kinser DOMINATED the World of outlaws in 1987 winning 56 features, it brought people out to see if he could be beat.
    In 1985 Doug Wolfgang won 54 features (but he didn't follow a tour), and it brought people out to see if he could be beat.
    In 1989 Doug Wolfgang won 45 of 90 features (again, didn't follow a tour), but it brought out people to see if he could be beat.
    In 2020, Kyle Larson is currently having a season similar to Doug Wolfgang in 1989 and the places he has raced have been PACKED to see if he can be beat and he's doing it in Midgets, Sprints (World of Outaws, All Stars and Open Shows), and anything else he can get behind the wheel of.

I guess my point is that a dominating driver CAN have a positive impact on butts in the seats and IMO, is not bad.

Brandon Sheppard being dominate is what has me looking forward to seeing him race in Mid-September at Knoxville. I want to see if he can be beat.

I think it hurtsI have watched pretty much every woo race this year But not even looking forward to the woo race tomorrow night Because there is great chance b shepp will win Just not competitionYou have Dillars still rather young Wonder still rather young Bloomquist who is way off this year Weiss just seems like he can’t get over the top of mountainLanagian a little inconsistent

Winger not wonder

Good stuff from inside dirt racing. Thanks once again. 👍👍👍