Default Sad Day In Illinois

Sad times in Illinois. The winningest men's basketball coach in Illini history has passed away at the age of 88.

Good man, great coach who ran a clean program with class & dignity.

Rest in peace Lou Henson.

He won the right way......sad to here.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    He won the right way......sad to here.
    He really did, BBQ. Lou's first few years at Illinois were less than stellar but by the time I got to the U of I he was winning a lot of games and was taking the Orange & Blue to the NCAA Tournament nearly every year. Lou took the Illini to the NCAA Tournament 12 times and to the NIT 3 times during his time at Illinois. He had the best team in the nation in 1988-1989 but ran into a Michigan team in the National Semi Finals that he'd soundly beaten twice earlier in the year. It's tough to beat a team 3 times and Lou came up a point or two short of going to the national final. That '88-'89 team was the best team of his coaching career. Kendall Gill, Stephen Bardo, Kenny Battle, Lowell Hamilton and Nick Anderson were known as The Flyin' Illini. Sometimes the best team in the nation doesn't win the national championship and that was the case with The Flyin' Illini.

I was at Assembly Hall the night that they honored Lou by naming the court Lou Henson Court. Thankfully Lou was there and took part in the ceremony. Very glad Lou got to experience the honor while he was still in relatively good shape.

Guess if I knew how to spell hear.......

Good stuff cirf.....I live in college basketball country and nobody wanted to play the Illini back then.

The General had pretty good success!!!

But yes I really liked Henson.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Take your references to the human POS elsewhere, clay. This is a thread in honor of a good human being and a great coach, and there is no place for the mention of a chunk of human garbage in it. Especially from the likes of you.

Oh, and from my personal viewpoint, only a dim witted clown like you, clay, would worship such a POS.

What really surprises me about knight is that he never got his ass kicked by a player , a parent or another coach.

I guess that's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    What really surprises me about knight is that he never got his ass kicked by a player , a parent or another coach.

I guess that's impressive.
    Coach Henson had a major kerfuffle with the knught at Champaign back in the early 1990's. Coach was asked by a reporter for the Chicago Tribune if he wasn't concerned the knught might kick his ass. Coach Henson's response was that the knught would need more than just himself to get that job done. True story. We'll never know the outcome but Coach Henson seemed quite confident! LOL!

To this day Charles Barkley says he'd like to be locked in a room with knught for 5 minutes. This stems from a dust up Barkley had with the knught over his status on the Olympic team the knught coached. It's a very safe wager that ol' Chuck would have made a believer of the knught!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Take your references to the human POS elsewhere, clay. This is a thread in honor of a good human being and a great coach, and there is no place for the mention of a chunk of human garbage in it. Especially from the likes of you.

Oh, and from my personal viewpoint, only a dim witted clown like you, clay, would worship such a POS.
    Check the records, (31-20)I was right though!!! hehe

Speaking of a POS, go wipe.

Now I'm offering to say no more and let the honoring continue, okay?
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 07-31-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Disrespecting the life of a stellar human being, a legitimate paragon of virtue and an icon is par for the course coming from you, terry. Anything you may post in this thread is disrespecting the life and memory of a great human being. Let's see what other derision your simple mind can manufacture.

We'll be waiting.