Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Load numbers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Load numbers

    How many pounds do you have to change for the driver to be able to tell a difference?

    The car is a '15 bg Rocket.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Depends witch corner. Rr 25-50 pounds is a noticeable fine adjustment

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Batavia, OH
    Posts
    10,649

    Default

    Which corner and at what travel? But I agree, 50# anywhere, at any time, will be noticeable.
    Droop isn't the problem.

    Arizona Speedway-2. Ohio Valley-1
    East Bay-2. Lawrenceburg-2
    All-Tech-1. Florence-1
    Volusia-1
    Jackson -4
    Mudlick -1
    Moler -2
    Atomic-1

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Which corner and at what travel? But I agree, 50# anywhere, at any time, will be noticeable.
    Yes travel is why i used the rr as the example because that number is a relative change at any point in travel or ride height. Since the rr has limited travel and is so sensitive in general

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    If I had to give an average amount most people could feel, I would go in the 5% range. 5% of what ever number your thinking about altering, whether it's ride load on RR or dynamic load on the RF or anything in between. Just take the number your looking to change at that position (ride to full travel - anything from 300# to 2400# and x by .05) and that's what I would call towards the minimum change

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quick rundown.......we sold EVERYTHING a few years ago and decided to race again in the 602 class.We bought a nice roller Longhorn only to find later it had a bent clip. We then purchased a 15 bg Rocket race ready. We dont own a smasher(yet), so we let our local Rocket guru smash the springs for us.

    His cars usually are very good, but ours is awfully tight. This week he said he took out 100 lbs outa the rr and it was quite a bit better but still not there yet.We have spent evry race, 3 now, trying to get it free enough.

    1) We are having to run 40 points more gear than everyone else, im assuming because were too tight? (3 race old Hendren setup on his dyno)

    2)Were quite a bit softer on the rf than rocket recommends, so the nose is really sealed off good.

    3) You CANNOT race these days without a spring smasher on hand (thats the next purchase)!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Batavia, OH
    Posts
    10,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Quick rundown.......we sold EVERYTHING a few years ago and decided to race again in the 602 class.We bought a nice roller Longhorn only to find later it had a bent clip. We then purchased a 15 bg Rocket race ready. We dont own a smasher(yet), so we let our local Rocket guru smash the springs for us.

    His cars usually are very good, but ours is awfully tight. This week he said he took out 100 lbs outa the rr and it was quite a bit better but still not there yet.We have spent evry race, 3 now, trying to get it free enough.

    1) We are having to run 40 points more gear than everyone else, im assuming because were too tight? (3 race old Hendren setup on his dyno)

    2)Were quite a bit softer on the rf than rocket recommends, so the nose is really sealed off good.

    3) You CANNOT race these days without a spring smasher on hand (thats the next purchase)!
    You can race without the smasher, but it's a lot harder to take advice from people and it limits what you can do a little bit. Some combos of components don't have good published curves or behave how you would expect.
    Droop isn't the problem.

    Arizona Speedway-2. Ohio Valley-1
    East Bay-2. Lawrenceburg-2
    All-Tech-1. Florence-1
    Volusia-1
    Jackson -4
    Mudlick -1
    Moler -2
    Atomic-1

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    You can race without the smasher, but it's a lot harder to take advice from people and it limits what you can do a little bit. Some combos of components don't have good published curves or behave how you would expect.

    Yep, im not one to take somebody's word for it so hopefully very soon we'll have a smasher. I know he's trying to help and really doesn't want to give up all his secrets, and i can appreciate that. He's got us in the ballpark so we'll just have to tweak on his numbers a bit!

    .......note to self... you dont realize everything it takes to have at the shop and in the trailer, until you need it! lol

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Do you guys change your load numbers throughout the night, or is my guy searching too much?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    383

    Default

    You can race very easily without a smasher if you are running a 602 package that limits you to one spring for corner.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher88 View Post
    You can race very easily without a smasher if you are running a 602 package that limits you to one spring for corner.
    We do run a bump on the rf.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Do you guys change your load numbers throughout the night, or is my guy searching too much?
    Yes we change our numbers. And no you don't need a smasher to make general adjustments. All you need is a tape measure abs basic math. If your shocks move a1/8" per turn than you divide your spring rate by 8 and that is what one turn will do to your numbers. Obviously stacks and bumps complicate things and theirs much more to it but that is the basics. But if your close a turn here and their may be all you need

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.