Default Larson Makes History........Again

Kyle Larson just became the first driver in the 50 year history of the ASCoC to win 7, count 'em, 7 A-main's in a row! The incredible thing is Kyle isn't just winning, he's wearin' all their asses OUT!

We're seeing a talent that spans multi generations at work and history is made nearly every time Larson pulls on a racetrack in any type car.

Rumble Yung Money Rumble!!

Guy is unreal, could he approach Wolfgang's 52 win season in the Weikert car in 85, me thinks anything possible with this level of talent. How many wins now, 26, 28 or so?

LMM

Tonite, at Huset's in SD, the streak ended when Larson crashed in a heat race.

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    Guy is unreal, could he approach Wolfgang's 52 win season in the Weikert car in 85, me thinks anything possible with this level of talent. How many wins now, 26, 28 or so?

LMM
    I'm not sure how many total wins Larson has at this time but his winning percentage is incredible. Also, taking nothing away from Wolfy but Larson has won multiple races driving a midget this year. I know Wolfy won a hand full of midget races throughout his career but not sure if that happened during the 50+ win season. It may have.

From a selfish personal standpoint I would love to see is Larson to get a decent USAC Silver Crown ride and win another one or two on a dirt mile. I watched him spank the field at Du Quoin in the Ted Horn Memorial 100 back in September of 2011 driving Keith Kunz Silver Crown car. It looks bleak for either of the Silver Crown dirt mile races to happen in Illinois this year and besides that it may be tough to convince Kyle to leave the winger stuff and do a one off Crown race or two.

As of a couple of weeks ago he had 26. This is some rare stuff.

LMM

As of a couple of weeks ago he had 26. This is some rare stuff.

LMM
    Without looking it up I believe he's at 30 or 31 at this point. I also can't remember his winning percentage on dirt but it's way up there.

I've watched Larson since 2010 but it was 2011 when everyone REALLY sat up and took notice. He won the Belleville Midget Nationals, the Ted Horn Memorial and won all 3 (Silver Crown, sprint car & midget) USAC National divisions at Eldora. The real impressive thing about the Belleville win and the 3 wins at Eldora was that he'd never laid eyes on either of those tracks prior to winning on them.

My only question is this: How good is the overall talent in sprint car racing outside of Shatz right now? What competition is Larson facing each night?

Well, I'm a self appointed, self anointed bleacher jockey so my opinion is worth exactly what I've been paid for it on the open market, which is to say zilch.

With that said I believe that the talent from top to bottom in winged sprint cars is about as good as it's ever been. Admittedly, I don't follow winged sprint cars as much as I do the wingless cars but I've been paying more attention recently due to Larson's domination. It's a case where back in the Kinser, Wolfgang, Swindell era those guys were the dominant drivers with Brad Doty, Bobby Davis Jr. and a few others a tick or two below those guys. Today you have Schatzy and now Larson at the top but the other guys are very evenly matched back through about 12th to 14th on any given night. All of those guys seem to perform at a high level night after night. I might be way off base but that's how it appears to me.

But, when we talk the current midget division drivers we're talking about a group of guys that are as good top to bottom as any group I've ever seen. Better than most era's. Larson dominates in those cars, as well. And, if he was to jump in a wingless sprinter or a Crown car I firmly believe he'd be dominant in those cars as well and those divisions are full of highly talented drivers, too. Kody Swanson is more dominant in a modern Silver Crown car on the dirt miles and on the pavement than anyone ever has been and that includes Jack Hewitt.
    Last edited by CIRF; 08-12-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks CIRF. I have no idea but when I go I’m just not impressed like I once was. I guess I’m more of a late model fan now.

Give the USAC National Midgets and USAC National Sprint Cars and the USAC Silver Crown divisions a look see. Trust me on this one, the talent level is as good as I ever remember it in all three divisions. A huge crop of very good young drivers in the midget division like Chris Windom, Tyler Courtney, Justin Grant, Brady Bacon, Buddy Kofoid, Cannon McIntosh, Thomas Meseraull, Tanner Carrick, Tanner Thorson, Kevin Thomas, Shane Golobic, C.J. Leary, Dave Darland, Logan Seavey. Almost all of those guys race the sprint cars regularly along with Robert Ballou and Brady Short. And, in the mix when they aren't racing with the WoO's or NASCAR you have guys like Rico Abreu, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Darrin Pitman, Larson, Bell and a few others that I'm forgetting driving the midgets.

Most of the USAC regulars will be driving the Silver Crown cars along with SC regulars Kody Swanson and Shane Co ckrum.

I'd be surprised if you weren't highly entertained and impressed with any of the 3 USAC divisions.

Except I live in the Carolinas. I’d have to travel to see most of the USAC stuff. If I get a chance I will certainly check this stuff out. Thanks. 👍

Buy Floracing and you get every race in all 3 divisions, plus you get all the west coast USAC/CRA events. In addition to all the USAC racing you get everything from Eldora and much more.

Give it a look see, Raj. I think you'll be entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Buy Floracing and you get every race in all 3 divisions, plus you get all the west coast USAC/CRA events. In addition to all the USAC racing you get everything from Eldora and much more.Give it a look see, Raj. I think you'll be entertained.
    Flo Racing does look good

Mr. Cirf

I really must disagree with you on 1 particular front, your assessment that the current crop of USAC Midget drivers is as stout and diverse as any, of course that is your view, I respect that. However I firmly don't agree with that at all. My first Midget show was at of course was at Ascot. The crop of 60's talent, 70's talent, 80's talent in my view was far, far superior in over all talent. From the various disciplines, tracks, and technology of the day and what the drivers had to work with. From Rich Vogler to Stan Fox to Sleepy Tripp, the talent, racing, and driver moxie was unsurpassed.

Pick any Turkey Night at Ascot would solidify my argument.

As far as the overall winged talent today versus the time I will say was epic, mid-eighties, there just won't in my view be the talent pool that had Wolfgang, Mark and Steve Kinser, Sammy, Doty, Shuman, Allen, Stevie Smith, Blaney, Haudensheild, Kaeding, and Jimmy Sills, just my view.

Sure is good conversation though.

LMM

Mr. Cirf I really must disagree with you on 1 particular front, your assessment that the current crop of USAC Midget drivers is as stout and diverse as any, of course that is your view, I respect that. However I firmly don't agree with that at all. My first Midget show was at of course was at Ascot. The crop of 60's talent, 70's talent, 80's talent in my view was far, far superior in over all talent. From the various disciplines, tracks, and technology of the day and what the drivers had to work with. From Rich Vogler to Stan Fox to Sleepy Tripp, the talent, racing, and driver moxie was unsurpassed. Pick any Turkey Night at Ascot would solidify my argument. As far as the overall winged talent today versus the time I will say was epic, mid-eighties, there just won't in my view be the talent pool that had Wolfgang, Mark and Steve Kinser, Sammy, Doty, Shuman, Allen, Stevie Smith, Blaney, Haudensheild, Kaeding, and Jimmy Sills, just my view.Sure is good conversation though.LMM
    I was used to seeing those guys run Lernerville speedway back then. It’s still hard to move on from that group of drivers. I just get can’t excited at a winged sprint car race now.

Mr CIRF, while primarily being a follower of Late Models I do prefer the non wing Sprints and Midgets to winged cars. I grew up on the old Super Modifieds and witnessed the transition of them into sprint cars. I do agree with LMM that the talent of the 70's and 80's Sprint car drivers is hard to beat. Because of circumstances this year I have watched a lot more Sprints on Flo Racing and it has been great. Larson is without a doubt an unmatched talent in Sprints and Midgets. Heck he's been good in Mini Sprints this year as well. Enjoy it while we can because he will be back in cup cars next year.

Mr. Cirf

I really must disagree with you on 1 particular front, your assessment that the current crop of USAC Midget drivers is as stout and diverse as any, of course that is your view, I respect that. However I firmly don't agree with that at all. My first Midget show was at of course was at Ascot. The crop of 60's talent, 70's talent, 80's talent in my view was far, far superior in over all talent. From the various disciplines, tracks, and technology of the day and what the drivers had to work with. From Rich Vogler to Stan Fox to Sleepy Tripp, the talent, racing, and driver moxie was unsurpassed.

Pick any Turkey Night at Ascot would solidify my argument.

As far as the overall winged talent today versus the time I will say was epic, mid-eighties, there just won't in my view be the talent pool that had Wolfgang, Mark and Steve Kinser, Sammy, Doty, Shuman, Allen, Stevie Smith, Blaney, Haudensheild, Kaeding, and Jimmy Sills, just my view.

Sure is good conversation though.

LMM
    Here's where I believe the difference lies, Mark. All the guys from yesteryear that you mention stayed in the midgets and sprint cars for their entire careers. These days if they're really good, like Larson, Bell and Stenhouse Jr. they go on to NASCAR. If they don't get their shot at NASCAR they go on to winged sprint cars primarily because of the money. It's tough to compare era's but I try to do it all the time mainly due to the nostalgia factor. I certainly can't take issue with how talented the guys that you mentioned are. That is indisputable.

However, I firmly believe that in spite of the siphoning off of guys like Larson & Bell the talent level, top to bottom, is quite high. Windom, Courtney, Meseraull, Thorson, Grant, Bacon, Golobic, Carrick, Thomas Jr. all are able win races every time they start an A-main. I'm not saying any one of those guys is as good or better than Stan Fox or Vogler or Sleepy or The Shu but the talent level throughout the field may be better top to bottom. This new crop of kids such as Kofoid, McIntosh and Johnson, among a few others, look quite promising as well.

One driver who could hold his own against any of the guys from the past you mentioned is no longer with us but he would be in conversation if he was. That driver is Bryan Clauson. If Clauson, Larson, Bell, Stenhouse Jr. ran regularly with the USAC guys the talent level would be unsurpassed by any era. But, unfortunately, they don't.

As far as the winged side of the conversation I must digress. I don't follow winged racing all that much. I've watched more winged racing this year due to the Larson factor but that certainly doesn't give credence. My lack of knowledge regarding winged racing is glaring but it certainly seems that top to bottom talent level in both the WoO's and ASCoC's is relatively high. Not to the extent of the 1980's but formidable. I'm probably off base on that assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    Mr CIRF, while primarily being a follower of Late Models I do prefer the non wing Sprints and Midgets to winged cars. I grew up on the old Super Modifieds and witnessed the transition of them into sprint cars. I do agree with LMM that the talent of the 70's and 80's Sprint car drivers is hard to beat. Because of circumstances this year I have watched a lot more Sprints on Flo Racing and it has been great. Larson is without a doubt an unmatched talent in Sprints and Midgets. Heck he's been good in Mini Sprints this year as well. Enjoy it while we can because he will be back in cup cars next year.
    You're background and preferences sound very much like my own. I too follow the late models more extensively than any other division. Main reason is good racing but also because the tracks within easy driving distance have very good late model racing week in and week out with Jacksonville being the lone exception.

Jim, I'm not quite as optimistic as you are that Larson will be back in NASCAR. Given the turn that NASCAR and society as a whole has taken just in the past couple of months it may be impossible for Larson to acquire sufficient sponsorship to facilitate a return to Cup. I could be wrong but unwanted attention and a boycott's could be in the future for any sponsor who would have Larson as a spokesman for their products or services. I hope I'm wrong.

Very fair point CIRF. I miss Clauson, what a loss. Larson just blows my mind with his driving. Just for the record, as far as the sprints go, non-wing is da bomb brother. 30 years after it's closure, the CRA action at Ascot has never been topped in my book, and just like many on this board, we have been around the block on races and tracks. Just a fun discussion that is done with civility and grace unlike some of the juvenile post on the DLM board.

Looking forward to tonite's Governors Cup Southern All Stars tonite at Talladega paying 10k. for the Supers. Doing vocal chord calisthenics to get ready,lol.

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer....race fan from January of 1964 thru..............................today!