Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Experimenting With body and aero.

So, ive been thinking a lot about aero and how much its contributing these days to these cars. Ive been noticing that guys are shifting the whole tail end of the cars to the right. I had a guy at a track last night that allowed me to string the left side of his car and the quarter panel was over towards the right of the car by 8". On the right side of the car, the quarter was over by that much which means the whole spoiler would be offset to the right?? Has anyone else been doing this? Is this normal for a dirt late model? Im also noticing lots of cars with the body curved on the right side like a snow plow. Are these guys just "getting away with it" or is this fairly normal these days? Im about to make some alterations to my body and if these are legal locations, im going to make some further changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    So, ive been thinking a lot about aero and how much its contributing these days to these cars. Ive been noticing that guys are shifting the whole tail end of the cars to the right. I had a guy at a track last night that allowed me to string the left side of his car and the quarter panel was over towards the right of the car by 8". On the right side of the car, the quarter was over by that much which means the whole spoiler would be offset to the right?? Has anyone else been doing this? Is this normal for a dirt late model? Im also noticing lots of cars with the body curved on the right side like a snow plow. Are these guys just "getting away with it" or is this fairly normal these days? Im about to make some alterations to my body and if these are legal locations, im going to make some further changes.
    It's normal. It's not legal. It's a impossible to be competitive and try to load your car in a standard enclosed trailer. This crap needs fixed.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I was watching a Lucas Oil Race the other night and noticed this when they showed the cars pacing down the front strectch and the camera was filming head on down the straights. I was amazed at how far the right side is flared from fender to rear of quarter. Then I started looking at mine and realized what MBR said......there is no way I could ever load it in my enclosed. It barely fits as it is.

If I build the body it will not fit, will it MBR? LOL
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    If I build the body it will not fit, will it MBR? LOL
    Nope. And we are still a long ways from meeting Fast 49 dimensions, when it concerns the topic at hand.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

there doing what cup did years ago, putting the bodies on offset with the rear to the right

What’s Ray Cook think of this stuff ?

One interesting draw back to putting the body on there crooked is the back of the car hits the wall way sooner than it would have otherwise. If you are running the cushion, or near the wall on the straight away where there is more grip, you will knock the deck out of the car sooner with the back of the body pulled to the right... Bobby pierce would not like this body setup. Always a trade off

Quote Originally Posted by Austin34471 View Post
    One interesting draw back to putting the body on there crooked is the back of the car hits the wall way sooner than it would have otherwise. If you are running the cushion, or near the wall on the straight away where there is more grip, you will knock the deck out of the car sooner with the back of the body pulled to the right... Bobby pierce would not like this body setup. Always a trade off
    With the new composite quarter panels they don't bend, they just go back to their original position when they are hit.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    With the new composite quarter panels they don't bend, they just go back to their original position when they are hit.
    What about t bars and decking panels?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    What about t bars and decking panels?
    What you don't know about the Heavy spring steel T bars and deck metal yet? it's like the heavy LR stuff worth a half second

Had an MB Narrow car back in 1998-99?, body was on pretty skewed. As assembled by Masters. Keith was pretty proud of it......Was a BEAR to put in the box, and you could really see the offset once in there. Isn't a dished door bad aero, flared out at the bottom good?

Quote Originally Posted by CCHIEF View Post
    Isn't a dished door bad aero, flared out at the bottom good?
    That's an argument that has been going on forever and I have never seen any real data that supports one way or the other. The problem is most wind tunnels aren't wide enough to put the car into enough yaw to get accurate data at the true yaw the car sees. Then if they are (know someone that tried) and at a certain yaw, the car slides off the scale pads from the side force and can't get the data.

I don't think people realize how much yaw is actually in the car at times, even with a driver that drives pretty straight. I can say the numbers actually surprised me

Default Aero

Well I'm glad I started this thread and have received as many responses so far. I'm (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) sure going to be trying some things with the body now. Will be running primarily on a half mile track so aero definitely comes into play.

Id have to agree have seen guys pushing the rr quarter out. Thats all fine n dandy but where's theres tack up top you'll be destroying the deck and quarter way sooner. I would be pushing things left b4 I would to the right imo. Seal the right off n get that spoiler as high as possible

Their are dimensions in the rule book that would pretty much prevent the body's from being so out of wack but they don't check them. I mean when is the last time anybody seen the width at the bottom of the doors checked or the top for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Their are dimensions in the rule book that would pretty much prevent the body's from being so out of wack but they don't check them. I mean when is the last time anybody seen the width at the bottom of the doors checked or the top for that matter
    That's been the issue for years. Not checking and sometimes even dropping rules. They were checking that straight line on the right side for a while. High point of fender back to rear of rr quarter. Couldn't be more than 1" gap anywhere. At EB, cars were 4" on that measurement.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    That's been the issue for years. Not checking and sometimes even dropping rules. They were checking that straight line on the right side for a while. High point of fender back to rear of rr quarter. Couldn't be more than 1" gap anywhere. At EB, cars were 4" on that measurement.
    I noticed that aswell and when i mentioned it to Someone they said " oh no it's not from the fender top its from the back of the fender" it definitely didn't used to be

We were looking at a new(ish) full roller, bodyless chassis in the shop the other day and discussing this bent body deal and came up with a couple of ideas.
    Considered that if you cut the chassis tubes, from side to side, through the middle and hinged it and mounted an air bag system to let it go back to normal for the trailer you wouldn't have to waste a gallon of WD 40 and plexiglass the trailer walls. The airbags would allow the Pierce-type wall bangers to soften the beatings and help save the quarters and spoilers. Bags also could make for constant adjustment of the deck heights. Ask the lowriders in your area if you need help with this. Some of those guys are very creative with 'bags.
    Of course there's a few things that we didn't figure out yet; drive line alignment things, steering problems, things with constantly moving rear tires, the extra batteries weight, educating the driver to about completely change the way to drive and, obviously, a few things we haven't considered yet.
    Good old 4m has some bright minds (and some not so much) that can surely figure these out. Guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    I noticed that aswell and when i mentioned it to Someone they said " oh no it's not from the fender top its from the back of the fender" it definitely didn't used to be
    I guess someone convinced Francis it was a bad rule.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1