Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indy 500

Default Indy 500

Just announced a short time ago that the 500 will run but without fans. I have been since 1965 consecutively, this sucks.

It really sucks.

You've seen alot of changes since 1965

Even the great one Roger Penske couldn’t pull off fans in stands with covid crazy leaders in Indy and the state.

Nobody cares

500 is a great race. One of the best races in the world

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Nobody cares
    I take it you're the mr. nobody you speak of.

There actually are a lotta' people who care but that is hard for someone who spends his life living in mud under a moss covered rock to comprehend. The Indy 500 is the highest attended single day sporting event in the world. Has been for decades. There are approximately 270,000 permanent seats at Indy and they've sold over 95% of those seats every year for the past 6 years. They regularly put over 30,000 in the infield. One year recently they sold every ticket that was available for sale which totaled over 350,000. That's even more people that attend the PDC on a normal year! LOL!

It's usually a good idea to know what you're talking about lest you risk posting stupidity that removes all doubt as to your status as a chucklehead.
    Last edited by CIRF; 08-05-2020 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomerdirtking View Post
    Just announced a short time ago that the 500 will run but without fans. I have been since 1965 consecutively, this sucks.
    Bdk, that is a very good run!! I admire your dedication! I'm at 32 consecutive and thought I was doing good. I was 17 years old and was 1 week removed from my high school graduation the first time I did the 500. I actually experienced the original turn #1 Snake Pit! Now THAT was an eye opener at 17! LOL!

I have a close friend that was intensely looking forward to attending the 500 this year. This was going to be his 60th straight year of attending The Greatest Spectacle In Racing. He's heartbroken!

So, you got to see Jimmy Clark win the 500. You got to see both my favorite Indy Car drivers of all time, Al Sr. and Rocket Rick, win their 4 apiece. And you got to see A.J. win 2 of his 4 Indy 500's. Not bad. You've seen a lot!! I feel bad that your string is broken.

Rocket Rick? I’m assuming that is Rick Mears? I have never heard that before.

Yep, Rocket Rick=Rick Mears.

I believe Rick Mears is quite possibly the best oval track driver of the rear engine era to date. He's the best I've ever seen at Indy, that is indisputable.

Al Sr. is my favorite of all time at Indy but I have to admit his 1987 Indy 500 win was the product of everything falling into place at the right time. The fact that Al Sr. even got a top flight ride in '87 was a bit of a stroke of luck. It seemed Al's win was the product of destiny. That is not to say he wasn't as good or better than anyone in the '87 race but everything had to work his way or his 4th win wasn't going to happen.

CIRF. Yea and what foreigner is your fav today ? Indy racing went in the tank years ago, they let the engineers take over. Sorry, that's not racing in my book. NASCRAP has followed that same path and it has only gotten worse. You bump someone and they act like your the worst driver ever to strap in a car. Driving over his head. Indy owns team Foyt just like nascrap owns RPM. They both think in keeping those names alive old timers like me would still watch. If young money goes back to driving taxi's I'll look at results and wait his return to real racing. No one can say the racing is better today than it was in the glory years of either indy or nascrap

The 500 has been a competitive race over the last 20 or so years and Indy does have some good talent now from the US of A

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    CIRF. Yea and what foreigner is your fav today ? Indy racing went in the tank years ago, they let the engineers take over. Sorry, that's not racing in my book. NASCRAP has followed that same path and it has only gotten worse. You bump someone and they act like your the worst driver ever to strap in a car. Driving over his head. Indy owns team Foyt just like nascrap owns RPM. They both think in keeping those names alive old timers like me would still watch. If young money goes back to driving taxi's I'll look at results and wait his return to real racing. No one can say the racing is better today than it was in the glory years of either indy or nascrap
    You're an idiot and let me explain why. (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) near half of the Fastest 33 drivers in the world are going to be American. The defending Indycar Champion is an American. 8 of the 17 races last year were won by Americans. Tons of young talent coming out of Indycar. Colton Herta, Josef Newgarden, Alexander Rossi, Graham Rahal, among others.

Just because you're against foreigners, doesn't mean they aren't good race car drivers. It also doesn't mean they are bad people as I haven't seen Indycar push the political agendas the other series' have done either.

These same drivers also drive on Short Ovals, SuperSpeedways, Road Courses, and Street Courses. Something, no other series does either. And Yes. The racing is INCREDIBLE right now in Indycar.

The engineers took over? You better take a closer look at Dirt Late Model racing there pal. Every racing sport, the engineers have taken over.

You would have noticed all of this if you took your head out of your @$$ or out of the sand.

Excellent post DR, IndyCar is loaded with US drivers. The future is quite bright for the sport talent wise.

https://racer.com/2020/08/04/it-kill...-to-do-penske/ Penske was ultimately forced to make this move. I love Indy but I will not be watching/or following this year. Hopefully they have it in May 2021 with fans (however I think that is a big big stretch at this point).

Add me to the list of people who admire Dirt Reynolds' post #13!! DR you hit it outa' the park with that one!

I would only add that the past 7 or 8 Indy 500's have been far and away the best racing we've ever seen at Indianapolis in our 30 something years of attending. Over most of the past decade the actual racing during the Indy 500 has been so good throughout the whole 500 miles that expectations have become sky high right from the drop of the green year in and year out.

Of the last eight 500's the lead was contested under green within the last 10 miles! That 1 exception was the 100th running when Alex Rossi won on fuel mileage. In 2015 the lead changed 3 times in the last 10 laps..........and I could go on but you get the picture.

Over the past couple of decades it's been in vogue and popular to bash and make fun of Indy Car racing and some of the bashing was justified. However, at this point in time Indy Car racing is the most exciting and most competitive of all the major forms of racing involving machines with 4 wheels and that race on ovals, road courses and street courses. Drag racing and flat track motorcycles are, on some occasions, more exciting in their own right.

I’d prefer more local drivers but if a really good driver comes over from another country and adds to the sport I do support that. Ie.. Fred (Alonzo). Engineering is necessary but it has not made the racing better over the last ten or so years. Drivers have a steering wheel, throttle and brakes. I want to see drivers use those to make racing exciting. Daytona road course was modified due to engineers not liking the weight/brakes. I say make the drivers use what they have on the original track

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Reynolds View Post
    You're an idiot and let me explain why. (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) near half of the Fastest 33 drivers in the world are going to be American. The defending Indycar Champion is an American. 8 of the 17 races last year were won by Americans. Tons of young talent coming out of Indycar. Colton Herta, Josef Newgarden, Alexander Rossi, Graham Rahal, among others.

Just because you're against foreigners, doesn't mean they aren't good race car drivers. It also doesn't mean they are bad people as I haven't seen Indycar push the political agendas the other series' have done either.

These same drivers also drive on Short Ovals, SuperSpeedways, Road Courses, and Street Courses. Something, no other series does either. And Yes. The racing is INCREDIBLE right now in Indycar.

The engineers took over? You better take a closer look at Dirt Late Model racing there pal. Every racing sport, the engineers have taken over.

You would have noticed all of this if you took your head out of your @$$ or out of the sand.
    Amen. Who gives a crap where the drivers come from.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsracing View Post
    Amen. Who gives a crap where the drivers come from.
    This is the USA

The Indy 500 on my 43rd birthday. With no fans. It doesn't even seem right. Now lets get one thing straight, to me it IS NOT SUMMER until they sing back home again in Indiana and the balloons fly out of the tents and they drop the green at INDY. Period. This year there was no summer. All because of, well never mind I don't want to get into that. I'd say that this can't count against somebody's streak. You went to every one that you COULD. I'm sure there's guys that missed a couple in the military or whatever but haven't otherwise. I'll be watching, at home... after spending over 200 days on a ship without touching land and I'll count my blessings while I'm doing it. God Bless America and Greatest Spectacle in Racing. Next year, We'll go back home again to Indiana.

When I dream about the moonight on the Wabash......
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.