Default USA Nationals Passing Points are a bit confusing

How does Bloomquist start 5th in heat 2 finish 3rd and end up 11th after round 1 with 96 points, and Tyler Erb starts 5th in heat 3 finishes 2nd and is the leader after round 1 with 108 points? Seems a bit odd to me that the 1 position would be worth 12 points.

majority of there points come in qualifying than in heat races is what I was told last year.

Did Bloomer even pass anybody? There was a wreck in front of him that took out at least one car.

In most passing point systems each finishing position is worth so many points and then you add on how many points each car passed is worth. In the WDRL which was one of the first to use it. 1st place 59 points and it decreased each position after and 1.74 points for each car passed.

If you go by average finish from the 2 heats. It’s a lot easier.

Terbo and Owens had the best average finish. Therefore they had highest points. Depending how heat line ups fall, you might have one guy with 3.5 average finish might be higher than a guy with 3.0. But that 3.5 average finish guy won’t be ahead of the guys that finished 2nd on average in both heats.

Anything other than straight up starts produce better racing.
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

I like the system. #1, you have to get a good lap on the clock. Your heat race combines finishing position and cars passed. Look at Brandon Sheppard, they've struggled to get that good lap in and he's just had horrible luck in his heat races. First time I've seen this place, tv of course and dirt vision you s*ck, racing all over the place.

You know they did not qualify last night don’t you?

I find that the passing points are a little confusing, but I do like it. Something different.
    8/13/16

Straight up starts are meant to pacify drivers not to provide entertaining racing. WTG Cedar Lake, I80, etc.
    I hate time trials.

Calling it passing points is a little miss leading because your finishing position matters and then on top of that you get points for passing cars

Quote Originally Posted by kazual View Post
    Straight up starts are meant to pacify drivers not to provide entertaining racing. WTG Cedar Lake, I80, etc.
    AMEN!! Guys that can't pass anybody, but can qualify good whine about it.

The great debate. I can’t stand passing points. Refuse to watch. I guess I’m getting old and set in my ways. I actually love watching qualifying, straight up heats!! My the best man and car win. Handicapping racing is part of the new attitude of the generation ( everyone gets a trophy mentality)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    Did Bloomer even pass anybody? There was a wreck in front of him that took out at least one car.
    That is great point, never thought about that.

Bloomer started 5th, finished 3rd. Counts as 2 passed cars. Gets 10 bonus points for 2 passes and 86 points for finishing 3rd.Position Points for USA Nationals 1st 100, 2nd 93, 3rd 86, 4th 79, 5th 72. Each pass is +5, get passed its -1.50 per position.
    If you ain't fast, you're running last!