Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Knoxville Raceway Cancels Remainder of 2020 Racing Season

Knoxville, IA (August 24, 2020) – The Marion County Fair Association, in cooperation with Knoxville Raceway, has voted to cancel the remainder of the 2020 racing season.

“The health and safety of our fans, competitors and employees is our top priority,” said Brian Bailey, Marion County Fair Association President. “Several individuals tested positive for COVID-19 following our most recent race. In light of that information, we feel that returning to racing this weekend would be premature. Additionally, a large-scale event like the Lucas Oil Late Model Knoxville Nationals won’t be in the best interests of the track or the community at this time.

“None of us like to see the race season end this way, but we’re confident this is the right decision for all parties.”

The following events will be affected by this decision:
    · August 28 – Busch Light Night
    · August 29 – Iowa Corn Growers Association Districts 5 & 9 Night
    · September 17-19 – Lucas Oil Late Model Knoxville Nationals
    · September 25 – Knoxville Championship Series
    · September 26 – Knoxville Hospital & Clinics/Slideways Night

Tickets and camping for the Lucas Oil Late Model Knoxville Nationals will be automatically refunded.

For questions regarding refunds on suites, season camping, season tickets and season parking, please call the ticket office at 641-842-5431.

The 2021 Knoxville Raceway season is scheduled to begin with the Pella Motors/Kraig Ford Season Opener on Saturday, April 17, 2021.

I expected that after the covid-19 outbreak they had.

Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    I expected that after the covid-19 outbreak they had.
    Sprint car fans just gotta ruin it for the rest of us...

Move it all south

I figured they would cancel after I spoke to a friend after he called for camping last week. They said it doesn't look good for the races. I thought the City meeting was supposed to be Tuesday. Sorry I was wrong!!! It was today Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by plunks7 View Post
    I figured they would cancel after I spoke to a friend after he called for camping last week. They said it doesn't look good for the races. I thought the City meeting was supposed to be Tuesday. Sorry I was wrong!!! It was today Monday.
    The fair board met tonight. I’m not sure if the city council was involved.

Okay fair enough, mcarter815. Thanks

How cool would it be if they end up having a race at husets

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    That’s a long ass way...

Quote Originally Posted by Dlmfan123 View Post
    Many of the teams will be at FALS Tuesday... Maybe add a Lucas race there, for the weekend.?.?

There's a $10,000 to win show at Sycamore that Saturday night. That just got interesting.

Re: Knoxville... If they don't make the decision to scrub the remainder of the season, someone else almost certainly would've made it for them.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Maybe Fairbury can move their $15,000 race to Friday with Sycamore on Saturday.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    There's a $10,000 to win show at Sycamore that Saturday night. That just got interesting.

Re: Knoxville... If they don't make the decision to scrub the remainder of the season, someone else almost certainly would've made it for them.
    How many workers tested positive? Send everyone home for 2 weeks and let it rip. It seems ridiculous that they shut down for the year.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    How many workers tested positive? Send everyone home for 2 weeks and let it rip. It seems ridiculous that they shut down for the year.
    If the "fair board" is involved....... You know the racers and fans will get screwed.

Someone get Joe Kosiski on the phone. I80 doesn't anything scheduled that weekend

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    There were several sprint car teams & crews, fans and even local residents that have came down with it in the last 2 weeks (it is highly contagious). From my understanding, the city/county was going to shut it down if they did not do it.

Over reaction just like everything else. They should have waited 2 weeks to see what the outbreak looked like then made a decision. So just how many people came down with the virus ? To some if it was 1 then it was time to board up everything and lock yourself in a closet.

There were several sprint car teams & crews, fans and even local residents that have came down with it in the last 2 weeks (it is highly contagious). From my understanding, the city/county was going to shut it down if they did not do it.
    So what? How many were false positives? How many were asymptomatic? How many were hospitalized? New cases aren't relevant at all. Only deaths and hospitalizations are, and they are dropping rapidly. Apparently when this thing turns into the common cold, which is a Coronavirus, we're still going to be "counting cases". Or just up until the election.

And they are all home now. It's highly contagious if you spend 15 minutes within 6 feet of a shedder. I've read all the science and been there, done that with the disease. I can trace my own infection back and who did and didn't get it, the incubation time, everything is text book. Panic never solved a problem.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Maybe they shouldn’t be stupid by letting fans in the pits? The stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of. 25% capacity in the stands and than let people free for all after the races. Sometimes people need to think, it made no sense.