Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cotton picking 100

Thinking about going to Magnolia for first time.Whats y'alls thoughts on track and what big name's may show up.

Definitely go, it’s a really nice place and it’s run by a promoter that truly cares about racing.

Anyone know why it went from $20k to win down to $12k?
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

$4,000Friday
    $12,000 Saturday

Just like last year.

Top shelf place, you should go.

Great track, lawn chair are needed, no bleacher seats.
    -------------------------
    See you down the road!!!!

I really like the 2 day formats for races like this, however in today’s world there’s nothing special about a 12k to win show. I’ve always viewed the cotton pickin as the 2nd level to Crown Jewels, same as National 100, USA 100/Commonwealth 100, Blue/Gray. I really hope the Saturday portion will bump back up in 2021 so the cotton pickin doesn’t become just another regional show

For the past several years I've worked with Johnny Stokes and Dewitt Singleton on this event. This will be the third year that we've gone with two complete shows: $4,000-to-win / 30 lapper on Friday night and $12,000-to-win / 70 lapper on Saturday night.

When I broke it into two complete shows in 2018 I took our purse from the $15,000 and $20,000-to-win years and distributed it more from third to twelfth to give more drivers a chance to leave with a solid payday. National, regional, and local drivers have all shown their appreciation for the purse configuration. And then the fans get two complete shows for more bang for their buck. The race has enjoyed better success the past two years than it had in the previous several years. It was time for change.

With both national tours running regularly on that weekend now, we obviously don't get those guys anymore. But we do typically attract privateers like Marlar, Overton, McDowell, Ferguson, Moyer, etc and then you throw that in with some of the best regional drivers in the country and usually we have some really fun fields of competitors.

Our weekend purses are shown below and a single $100 entry fee covers the weekend, which is something else we are proud of.

Friday Night Super Late Model Purse (30 Laps)
    1)$4,000 2)$2,000 3)$1,000 4)$800 5)$700 6)$600 7)$500 8)$450 9)$425 10)$400 11)$375 12)$350 13)$325 14-24)$300

Saturday Night Super Late Model Purse (70 Laps)
    1)$12,000 2)$6,000 3)$3,500 4)$2,500 5)$2,000 6)$1,600 7)$1,500 8)$1,400 9)$1,300 10)$1,200 11)$1,100 12)$1,000 13)$900 14)$800 15)$750 16)$725 17-25)$700

Thanks for your consideration, and we hope you'll join us. Full event details will be released in the next week.

- Ben

Just like schools, you gotta pay to play. Unlike schools though you get a tax form at that you pay taxes on your earnings. You don't get a receipt when you pay that entry fee so you don't get to write it off against your earnings. Good promoting would enable sponsor money and gate money to cover purses and a profit. So your proud to announce that your participates pay your b-main purse cause obviously you didn't post non transfer monies

National 100 was a 2 day $15,000 to win last year. With far more expense and worse purse.

Blue Grey paid $10,000.

This format and purse is better than both for drivers and fans. Two features so more guys have a chance to bring home decent money. Fans get two complete shows.

$16,000 total to win $1,000 to start with a total entry fee of $100.

Each year Friday non-qualifiers get $50 and Saturday non-qualifiers get $100. You're going to have to find something else to complain about here.

- Ben

Nice facility. Cool track. Trackside parking on the backstretch and turns 3/4 for vehicles and RVs. Good food. Johnny Stokes WILL be working on the track surface often, you can count on that. It is a good event to attend.

When the track is on, it’s on!!! But my last 3 trips it’s rubbered up late, choo choo last 25-30 laps. Can happen bout anywhere. I’d go though. It’s not a 100 lapper. Enjoy.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Well 40 cars is $4000. Friday night is $750 consi money and Saturday is $1500 consi money so what I stated holds true. Your participants pay your non-qualifiers and you still have money left over.

I'm surprised nobody has complained about the name of the race yet......since things like pancake syrup and rice are now racist.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has complained about the name of the race yet......since things like pancake syrup and rice are now racist.
    on the dirtondirt live video events page its listed as the magnolia state 100 ..maybe a offical name change is coming

Ben, stop descriminating!

You should pay the non-qualifiers $10k to win, 30 laps!.........jk....smh!

Believe it’s officially The Magnolia State Cotton Picking 100.

The Magnolia State 100 and Cotton Picking 100 used to be separate events that morphed into one.

It’s not a fu**ing charity Jim. I know it’s taboo in 2020 to try and be a profitable business, but you think that left over money might go towards, electricity, insurance, advertising other expenses? What if his weather sucks and he gets 500 people in the stands and losses his a$$?

You have to pay to play in life. Luckily for guys of your ilk, bitching and moaning remains free of charge though.

Apparently they didn't making reading a comprehensive course in school for b-k. Never once said they should lose money. Said go promote your product to pay purse not charge teams to race your event. They already pay to get in. Mr Shelton gladly pointed out how great only a 1 time low entry fee for 2 days was and I just pointed the obvious right back that entry fees do nothing for the race teams.

If there is a bigger payout some where else, the top dogs will skip the Cotton pickin' like they have the last couple of years, going for the bigger one payout. The goal is to draw more local drivers as Ben stated, 2nd tier drivers and down. A top dog is not going to race for a average $600-$800 and no series points nor extras. That is the choice the promoters chose....To answer the question what is the track like, top notice except restrooms, carry lawn chair, tickets highest in the Mid South but you pay for what you get. I do not prefer the flat slick black gumbo track. If the track is one lane, they will shave the top before the feature and change up the track totally, fun to watch the drivers try to adjust. It can be a follow the leader track. Ben and management does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Apparently they didn't making reading a comprehensive course in school for b-k. Never once said they should lose money. Said go promote your product to pay purse not charge teams to race your event. They already pay to get in. Mr Shelton gladly pointed out how great only a 1 time low entry fee for 2 days was and I just pointed the obvious right back that entry fees do nothing for the race teams.
    I comprehended it fine, then I just dismissed it for the total dog sh!t it was. It helps keep the lights on and helps to provide the opportunity to race for good money. I’d say that helps just a bit.

It’s also not a surprise or a new thing. In fact it’s lower than most races paying comparable money. In your perfect world I assume everything is free. Try living in the real world. It ain’t so bad once you take your head out of your.....