Default CJ Rayburn = Legend, Innovator, Nice Guy

I was on my way to Indy and swung by CJ Rayburn shop. Use to totally enjoy the yearly get together during the PRI show he use to put on. Many went there to drink and eat , I went there to look at the craftsmanship and way they were building things. This event was a happening. Many competitors on the track as rivals would show up and have a civil conversation. CJ was able to bring people together and put their differences aside. So today I swung in to see what the place looked like from when I was there 18 years ago probably. Pulled in and Christian was working on a truck he just got. We talked for about 20 mins then he said let’s go up to the house and say hi to day. Now mind you I’ve had maybe a couple 5 min conversations with him ever. Walked in sat down and we talked for 2 hours. Then he said let’s go grab dinner So after going back out in the shop and discussing a few of our different ideas on a few things we went to dinner. There was 5 of us. We walk in and almost everyone knows CJ. I’m talking 15 people! And he talks to many of them. One guy use to deliver pizzas to the shop. Another guy was building a motor. I mean this was a great showing off the impact this guy has had on many life’s. There was 2 new frames sitting in the shop. 1 with an interior on and another bare frame. But they had no homes to be heading to . It was a far cry from the days when they pumped out over 400 cars in 1 year!! Like we talked and I understand what it’s like every one want what the national guys are running . CJ doesn’t have anyone. He may be behind in a few areas like shocks and tire prep but let me tell you with a guy that gives the car a fair chance and CJ with his many years of knowledge could run up front and win races. I hope someone gives his cars a chance!! This guy has given so much to and given so many chances to racers and racing over the years I sure hope someone returns the faith!!

Nobody made a better leaf sprung car. Unfortunately technology and being stubborn passed him up. I thought the place was up for sale ? To be a player today in the chassis wars of SLM racing you have to make a huge commitment to run a national series. WoO your going up against team rocket head to head every race. Lucas, you have rockets and longhorns as the 2 most dominate chassis.

BWRC, is trying to get back in the game, Mastersbuilt wants to be great again, good luck with that. Warrior, nope, not happening. Finding a top driver and crewchief is a uphill battle of ego's also. Mars and his MB customs are on the right track. He has quitely got a couple cars out there that can give team blue a challenge race to race and that's what it takes.

Delk and the 157 team could be that team but you never know what there doing from race to race. Comittment it takes endless ammount of cash.

Good article well when it stared they were all built in a garage of a car frame then along came jig a lo and then CJ Rayburn with Jeff purvis behind the wheel an they won a lot of races he could really build a car for eldora.

Used to throw a helluva party at his place back in the day too. Every November. Man, those were a blast.

He treated guys loyal to him right. If CJ liked you he would do anything to get you to the next race.

Friend, and a man I greatly admired for all he did for racers over the years. Help car owners too, my friend in particular