Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WVMS reopening?

Default WVMS reopening?

Saw on Facebook that West Virginia Motor Speedway plans to reopen for 2021 and going back to its 5/8 track. I would post the link but I have no clue how but it’s on 357 world of dirts Facebook page. Sure hope it’s true that would be awesome

Too big of a track

Yes, lots of work going on there lately. Great facility when kept up.

Love the big track, seen some really good racing there. Wendell Wallace winning the DTWC from 27th and Davey Johnson 32nd to 2nd to him.
    If your getting passed,YOUR AS SLOW AS ME !!!!

Hillside seating was great, good place for DTWC.

Default Wvms

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    Too big of a track
    Well then, they should halt the re-opening since you spoke your opinion. Thanks we will not miss you when it’s a go!

Quite the undertaking given the condition of WVMS due to years of no occupancy. Have no reason to doubt Cody Watson and that gang won't pull it off. Constant improvements at Tyler County over the last few years and what they've done at Ohio Valley this year should be commended.

I only worry about car counts at that place. Seems like local cars quit going to WVMS years ago when the prices of the sport went up. I believe the last time WoO was there, they had around 21 late models and that was the shortened track.

If they can get the support from the local cars, the place has a bright future. I look forward to watching a variety of different shows there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    I only worry about car counts at that place. Seems like local cars quit going to WVMS years ago when the prices of the sport went up. I believe the last time WoO was there, they had around 21 late models and that was the shortened track.

If they can get the support from the local cars, the place has a bright future. I look forward to watching a variety of different shows there.
    Wv has a lot of late models, but not many that have the financial means to go run a track like that. That's why it's closed and will close again.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Since we are all spending their money ,They could fashion a smaller flatter track inside it for the local racing and make everyone happy.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Wv has a lot of late models, but not many that have the financial means to go run a track like that. That's why it's closed and will close again.
    Unfortunately that’s the truth. If they reopen it as a 5/8, it has no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Since we are all spending their money ,They could fashion a smaller flatter track inside it for the local racing and make everyone happy.
    Same people have 2 tracks within the area for their weekly shows, Tyler County and Ohio Valley. I doubt they're looking upon WVMS as anything but a special events venue.

You all sound like broken records, too big skip, too big skip, too big. Obviously you've never been to Port Royal which is smack dab in the middle of sprint territory and has become the late model destination for most of the cars in Pa.

I hope it comes back. I'll be there to watch again.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    Same people have 2 tracks within the area for their weekly shows, Tyler County and Ohio Valley. I doubt they're looking upon WVMS as anything but a special events venue.
    That makes more sense.....Ill go when they do, never been, just heard the stories.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Variety is important. In my opinion, part of the decline of Nascar may have been related to too many cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks. Having a variety of different track configurations keeps things interesting and gives individual tracks their own character. Why should people come to watch a race at your racetrack when it's no different from all the others? Anyway, I think it's a great idea!

Personally hope they bring it back for special events. Place would change drastically throughout the program, fun to adapt and change the car to keep up with it; felt like running Daytona when we ran crates there.

You all sound like broken records, too big skip, too big skip, too big. Obviously you've never been to Port Royal which is smack dab in the middle of sprint territory and has become the late model destination for most of the cars in Pa.
    It’s quite a bit bigger than Port Royal even.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I haven’t been to Port Royal, but I’ve watched a bunch of Port Royal shows on Flo Racing. It’s nothing at all like WVMS. Believe me, I want all tracks to succeed. For three years back in the 90’s, I lived 15 minutes from WVMS. Went there many many times, and several times since then too. The facility is absolutely beautiful. I love everything about the place — except the 5/8 mile track. Yes, there has occasionally been a good race there, but it’s usually an attrition show. All I know is, most drivers don’t like it and won’t regularly support it. Now if the plan is to only have a few special events, that might work. But if they want to draw 50-60 cars, it’ll take a huge purse. I really hope it works out. For anyone who hasn’t been there, I highly recommend making the trip. Just to see the place. When it’s been completely cleaned up and manicured, there aren’t many more beautiful natural settings for a race track.

1) how many times has Port Royal closed?
    2) are they even the same size?
    3) the demographics of pennsylvania and wv lm racing are quite different.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1