Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WVMS reopening?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    Obviously you've never been to Port Royal which is smack dab in the middle of sprint territory and has become the late model destination for most of the cars in Pa.
    Helps when they pay good. Looks like between $3k and $5k when they are scheduled with the exception of the Lucas race
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Skip, Skip, Skip, Skip, Scrape

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    1) how many times has Port Royal closed?
    2) are they even the same size?
    3) the demographics of pennsylvania and wv lm racing are quite different.
    You and Terry are correct. And I loved the place. The seating is the best period. Racing not too bad, but apparently some have Alzheimer’s.

The last DTWC there had I believe 49 cars.

The reconfigured track was not well thought out. Terrible shape for a track. They can try the 5/8, I just remember the decline as the prices went up, there counts went south real quick. And Ohio Valley and Tyler County are nothing like WVMS. Port Royal may be close, never been there, but only comparison I have is PMS with more banking.

I like WVMS and would love to go back, he!!, I’d love to go back to Pennsboro, just gotta think of an areas financial situation, the track itself, etc.

I hope they pull it off and I’d like to go back, but I would shorten it too. Just a better shape.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Who said Ohio Valley and Tyler were like WVMS? I said the same people doing WVMS already run OVS and Tyler on Fri and Sat every week and WVMS would likely be a special events venue. Argument for arguments sake and like it or not car counts went down across the board when all the special events went with a sanction. The car counts at Eldora would drop some if they WOO sanctioned instead of UMP and handed out provisionals.

Who said Ohio Valley and Tyler were like WVMS? I said the same people doing WVMS already run OVS and Tyler on Fri and Sat every week and WVMS would likely be a special events venue. Argument for arguments sake and like it or not car counts went down across the board when all the special events went with a sanction. The car counts at Eldora would drop some if they WOO sanctioned instead of UMP and handed out provisionals.
    Like someone mentioned before, the Mid Ohio valley doesn’t have enough late models regionally that will support big shows at WVMS unfortunately. I hope I’m wrong, but you’re most likely not going to see locals or regional guys like the Carpenters, Garnes, Burdette and others at WVMS. There’s too much risk for them to run there which drastically lowers car counts for WoO or Lucas races.

No one did sweetheart. But they are both smaller tracks that still get a decent draw and aren’t as hard on cars. WVMS is none of them things, why they shortened it. They didn’t think it out, but they were on the right track. I loved WVMS, went quite a bit. I don’t think it’ll make it as a 5/8. Maybe tweak it to a 4/10 or something with a good shape, I dunno. As a 5/8 it’s a lost cause to me.

They do hand out provisionals at Eldora. And car counts aren’t dropping at Eldora over who sanctions it. WVMS in no way can be compared to Eldora. Not at all.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

CnB, where you been? I was starting to think you got the huck treatment.

Nothing wrong with them going back to 5/8 if it's a special events track. Very little different than a half miler and many of them have of lot of success.

You have to set the car up accordingly for every size track. Gear up!!
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 09-17-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Saw one race there in the 70's...wow!
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

To big, 5/8. To fast, hard on equipment. Never going to survive as a weekly or bi weekly track. Only thing I could see is a handful of bigger purse races. Securing woo or lucas is another big issue because with out a touring series it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    To big, 5/8. To fast, hard on equipment. Never going to survive as a weekly or bi weekly track. Only thing I could see is a handful of bigger purse races. Securing woo or lucas is another big issue because with out a touring series it's not going to happen.
    I don’t think they have plans to run weekly or bi weekly. Special events only, things such as concerts, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    The same guy who promotes Tyler County is doing it so maybe he plans on moving the Hillbilly there. Both the Hillbilly and DTWC have been run at WVMS in the past.

The same guy who promotes Tyler County is doing it so maybe he plans on moving the Hillbilly there. Both the Hillbilly and DTWC have been run at WVMS in the past.
    I would have no complaints with the DTWC going to WVMS.

I just saw some recent pics of the place. I had no idea it had turned into this. Did they get rid of the backstretch bleachers? All I see is a small bleacher section going into Turn Three. If it looks like this now, they should just make a brand new track — maybe a 1/2 — because it would be pretty simple (relatively speaking lol) to just bulldoze both previous layouts into one. They’re obviously willing to put money into it and there is, the way it’s laid out now, plenty of clean earth to move around with nothing in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    I would have no complaints with the DTWC going to WVMS.
    Haha, of course you wouldn’t. You’re only a few minutes away. It’s like when I lived in Parkersburg. I loved having the big shows close by lol. I just hope they do something magical with the place. It was a jewel at one time.

There's a Facebook page that has a few pics, https://www.facebook.com/groups/336924336451104/

It’s official, the 5/8’s is coming back in /021

Posted on the tracks new Facebook page just about an hour ago.

Their NEW Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/visitwvms/

West Virginia Motor Speedway
    49m ·
    💥📢 BREAKING NEWS! 📢💥
    ~~ ITS OFFICIAL ~~
    > West Virginia Motor Speedway Set To Re-Open In 2021 <

(Middlebourne, WV) – West Virginia Motor Speedway located along I-77 in Mineral Wells, WV is returning in 2021! The new venture is led by thirty one year old promoter Cody Watson with ambitious plans matched with a relentless work ethic and five star staff. The 'crew' brings decades of experience to the tall task of turning around the historic speedway while establishing it as an elite entertainment destination and the “Worlds Fastest Dirt Track!”

Opening on May 19, 1985 the West Virginia Motor Speedway has witnessed some of the biggest events in racing as well as its recent eight year stint with the gates closed over its 36 year history. Opening as a state of the art venue, Watson and company are excited to revamp and breath new life into the massive motorsports destination.

The team has a complete and detailed arrangement for the speedways future years. It reopening in 2021 includes its current “phase one” plan featuring a warrior like clean up effort and blue collar rebuild of the dated facility. Hundreds of thousands will be spent in the first phase restoration undertaking as fans return for the first time in nearly a decade with new events and an ultra-cool re-branding of the WVMS on full display.

A new logo, website, social media and signage overhaul will highlight the new branding look of WVMS with a complete renovation of the facility structures already underway. Dirt that was hauled in for the shortening of the speedway in 2011 is currently being removed as the new group returns to the 5/8 mile proprietary being dubbed “The Worlds Fastest Dirt Track”.

Additionally, the group plans to increase banking on the dirt oval, widen turn four, install new Whelen Safety Lighting, improve race fencing and more in a studied effort to introduce safe and exciting racing action back to the larger speedway.

In addition to the momentous clean up effort that should be commended by all major renovations will take place prior to its scheduled reopening in 2021 including a modernization of facilities and the race fan experience. The main VIP & Race Control tower has taken on a complete overhaul inside and out. Buildings will receive new roofs and face-lifts, new pit amenities adopted, new concessions equipment has been purchased, ticketing added, vip seating is being increased, enhanced camping & parking and much more will greet anxious fans back upon arrival to the new WVMS in the spring of 2021.

The redesigned WVMS ushers in its immediate return to the top as West Virginia's most prestigious motorsports venues as well as one of the most beautiful in all of dirt track racing. The state of the art, high-banked oval leaves fans breathless as they witness the 'Worlds Fastest Dirt Track' in action. Fans will welcome back the biggest stars in racing as they take part in awe-inspiring activity piloting their earth-shredding machines at top speeds that defy well over 150mph.

WVMS intends to boast a fun but family friendly atmosphere combined with world class facilities to attracts fans and amusement from all over the nation. A fully packed extravaganza of entertainment events offers an unimaginable amount of satisfaction to the proud group of consumers that attend the speedways return. With an emphasis on the fan experience and continued facility improvements, WVMS, will create lasting wonderful memories for families to reminisce for many years to come.

Since being crafted marvelously in 1984 the West Virginia Motor Speedway has played host to some of the sports biggest events and brightest stars. Boasting one of the most beautiful settings and seats in dirt track racing while nestled attractively into the wild and wonderful mountains of small town Mineral Wells, West Virginia the 5/8 mile terraced hillside sits conveniently adjacent popular Interstate 77 for effortless access.

Home to the 'Worlds Fastest Dirt Track' ™, WVMS, blows you away with its incredible racing action and thrill seeking speed. Affectionately known as “The Speedplant” the 70-acre site is undergoing a massive renovation for its reopening for 2021 in claiming its place among the premier dirt tracks in the entire country.

The West Virginia Motor Speedway, a 5/8 mile clay oval is located in Mineral Wells, WV take exit 170 off I-77, just south of Parkersburg, WV. For more information on 'The Motorsports Capital of Cool' view them on the web at www.visitwvms.com. You can also email track offices at visitwvms@gmail.com or call # 304-771-5051. Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/visitwvms. Track Location; 2 Matheny Road, Mineral Wells, WV 26150.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

I'm 45mins from prp, I would not be the least bit mad if they moved the dtwc back to the speed plant. Which I feel like is probably the plan.

Default Thank you!!

Thanks for bringing the speed plant back to life again!! We never attended an event after the track was re-configured. Thanks again for bringing it back to its original size!!