Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WVMS reopening?

I'll let you guess who won. Unless you already know.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xctCYZ6UJic
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

^^^^^

The best looking car Bloomquist ever ran IMO.

I heard they may be looking at 10-15 multi night special events and possibly not having weekly racing.
    If you ain't fast, you're running last!

West Virginia Motor Speedway

Here are some pictures that have been posted on Facebook in the last 2 days.
    6 pictures.
    click on the links below.

West Virginia Motor Speedway - Tracks New Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/visitwvms/p...type=3&theater

Zach Yost Racing Photography
    https://www.facebook.com/ZachYostRac...type=3&theater
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

My buddy and I had talked about going to MS to see a race this year. Then COVID happened. They open this joint up and I will switch the trip to here. Drove by this place many times in the semi, and never got to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post
    ^^^^^

The best looking car Bloomquist ever ran IMO.
    Yes it was.

I 77 with a lot of racing history. It would be cool to get this track on I77 back up and running and I still hope Chester county SC I77 track re opens some day

Quote Originally Posted by GottaGoFast View Post
    I heard they may be looking at 10-15 multi night special events and possibly not having weekly racing.
    WVMS can’t support weekly racing anymore. It costs too much $$ to unlock the gates for it. I’m not even sure an unsanctioned $10-15k show could break even. There is hardly a date open due to all of the other “special” events scheduled around the WoO and LOLMDS schedules.

I really do hope the crew can make this go. Some of my fondest racing memories are from that place during the DTWC and other events.

I believe 10-15 multi night events is a littler exaggerated. I've heard 5-6 races next season which would be great.

We skipped out on the dtwc the year they ran the "charter racefest" show. Very weird weekend. I remember getting home on Monday morning, and thinking i had to be at school. My dad told me to go back to bed because it was too late to even worry about going. Luckily the principal was a local late model racer himself, he knew what had went on. I still got the ticket stub in my collection somewhere.

When they move the DTWC and the Hillbilly to WVMS in 2021, this place instantly earns its credibility back! They can also have huge steel block races, mod shows and sprint shows. 5-6 weekends would be ideal for 2021.

Here is a 2minute & 5 second video posted about an hour ago looks looks you can see the track again with out the grass on it. Looks like a lot of work going on.

https://www.facebook.com/movlrr/videos/310203180281019
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

I had the opportunity of seeing a race only one time at WVMS, back in the late 80's while visiting my in-laws. At the time I thought it was the coolest state of the art dirt track that I had ever seen, even with in ground sprinklers to water the track...not the same track that I remember in it's current state....Man it does look big though compared to most dirt tracks of today's era.

Cant imagine the speed that todays cars will carry up on the big 5/8 mile. If they add a little banking i bet we will see sub 18 second laps

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    We skipped out on the dtwc the year they ran the "charter racefest" show. Very weird weekend. I remember getting home on Monday morning, and thinking i had to be at school. My dad told me to go back to bed because it was too late to even worry about going. Luckily the principal was a local late model racer himself, he knew what had went on. I still got the ticket stub in my collection somewhere.
    I remember when they did the Boro day, WVMS at night, might have been the Freedom 100. I think KC thought that meant he was free to not pay Birky lol.

Only way I see it working, is to get WVMS and another decently close track to work together and have specials. I wish them the best, best seating there is, we shall see.

Went to WVMS probably 4 times. Some with my Mom, cousin, and my wife. Do miss it.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    I remember when they did the Boro day, WVMS at night, might have been the Freedom 100. I think KC thought that meant he was free to not pay Birky lol.

Only way I see it working, is to get WVMS and another decently close track to work together and have specials. I wish them the best, best seating there is, we shall see.

Went to WVMS probably 4 times. Some with my Mom, cousin, and my wife. Do miss it.
    You’re correct about the Freedom 100.

Default Boro

112 cars, and Duayne Hommel was one of them.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Default Purvis

Does anyone remember Purvis in ‘87 winning and blowing his engine as he crossed the finish line?
    That was my first trip to Mineral Wells.

I wasn’t there in ‘87, but I was there for the whole weekend in ‘88. Before that, I’d only traveled to big events at three tracks — Florence, Eldora and Brownstown. In ‘88, me and my little brother decided we were going to expand our racing map. Our previous max was the three hour drive to Eldora. So we headed to Pennsboro and WVMS. A 5-hour trip. We thought that was huge back then lol. I hated Pennsboro, and have ever since. On the other hand, WVMS was spectacular. The prettiest race track and race venue I’d ever seen. A young guy named Donnie Moran won both shows that weekend and instantly became my favorite driver for the next 20 years. No DLM driver has ever had more success before the age of 25, than Donnie Moran. He kicked ass.

But my question is ... what was the name of that WVMS event back then? I can still picture the MAARN ad in my head. Was it World Race of Champions? Or something like that?

If I remember correctly they had the outside wall plumbed with a sprinkler system, Just turn the valve on and the whole track was water in a matter of a few minutes. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Still had to run in though.