Thread: Tailgating

Default Tailgating

I’m noticing a lot of tailgating (college football style) at dirt tracks now. Is it just me or are people really making an effort to do this more often at the track? I like the trend.

We went to the Little 500 sprint car race at Anderson Speedway in Indiana last Saturday. They allowed 50% spectator capacity and it was originally scheduled for May 23rd which was supposed to be the night before the Indy 500 but was postponed due to coronavirus. We've been going to this event for a decade at this point and even with the spectator crowd at 50% there was still more pre-race tailgating than we've ever seen.

It's tough to say if it's a solid trend or not because on August 23rd we attended the Hoosier Hundred Silver Crown race at the Indiana State Fairgrounds and pre-race tailgate activity was nearly non existent. In years past we've seen a fair amount of tailgating at the Hoosier but the Indy 400 crowd was always in town in years past. We've attended a couple of late model shows at Fairbury, IL and there was a lot of pre-race tailgating going on but that isn't unusual since there always is at FALS.

I like the trend and I hope it continues. I will be setting up a small tailgate at the next race I go to.