Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crown Jewels

There is only 1 super bowl so its only 1 crown jewel and that is the WORLD 100.

Oh lord. The chili bowl. Here we go. Crown jewel of go karts. It’s only cool when Swindells win or a DLM driver wins.

Raj, showing your ignorance again.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    In reality, at this point in time there are only 3 true crown jewels in all of dirt racing. They are the World Hundred, the Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals and The Chili Bowl, in no particular order. Those 3 events are the most sought after victories in all of dirt racing. Everything else on dirt is below them in prestige and importance. Knoxville has been around the longest of the 3 (1961) with the World and The Chili Bowl coming along a decade later and 26 years later respectively.

Prior to the demolition of the New York State Fairgounds Mile Super Dirt Week might could be ranked in that top echelon group but no more.

Crown jewels of dirt racing have evolved over the years. There was a time when the Hoosier Hundred Champ Car race was the most prestigious dirt race of any kind and the purse was second only to the Indy 500. Not a crown jewel anymore and hasn't been since in the 1970's. Turkey Night Grand Prix, when it was contested at Ascot Park, was a crown jewel and a hugely sought after resume' maker but it's significance has diminished greatly since Ascot closed forever.
    Other than mentioning the World, not sure how anything else has absolutely anything to do with Dirt Late Models. Can't believe you took the time to type that all.
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLMspeed View Post
    Other than mentioning the World, not sure how anything else has absolutely anything to do with Dirt Late Models. Can't believe you took the time to type that all.
    The thread concerns the true crown jewels of dirt racing and since there are really only 3 and one is a DLM event it seems quite apropos. It may not fit your circumscribed narrative but it's the truth, nonetheless.

You can't believe I took the time to type it and on the same token I can't believe you took the time to read it all and reply. So I reckon we're even, right?

In fairness CIRF, the OP was asking about DLM crown jewels.

CIRF actually provides good racing insight unlike most on here.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    The thread concerns the true crown jewels of dirt racing and since there are really only 3 and one is a DLM event it seems quite apropos. It may not fit your circumscribed narrative but it's the truth, nonetheless.

You can't believe I took the time to type it and on the same token I can't believe you took the time to read it all and reply. So I reckon we're even, right?
    I didn't read it. I skimmed it. The thread concerns the true crown jewels of DLM racing. That's why he asked in the DLM section of the forum. (Insert major eye roll)
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

I started all of this. Can I withdraw the question????? LOL

Ok ok. I will leave your beloved Go Kart race called the Chili Bowl alone for a while. 😜😁

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dirtracing62 View Post
    I started all of this. Can I withdraw the question????? LOL
    No sir. Like all great threads, this one will be beat into submission before it leaves page 1. Then someone will resurrect it a year from now. We'll are indebted to you! http://www.4m.net/images/smilies/cool.png

Ok pick your top 5. No alternates or ties.

Knoxville is getting close but Silver Dollar Nationals hasn't even been around for 10 yrs yet
    It actually hit 10 years this year but I understand your point. Clearly it's a very subjective topic. I definitely think it needs to be partly attributed to purse but the prestige needs to be built over time. Like another user said, the Super Nationals at Boone I think pays a guaranteed $2,000 to the winner with $100 bonuses up to $5,000 for $7,000 overall potential winnings (from an article from last year) so I think that would mean that's it's not even the highest-paying IMCA modified show in Iowa but it is absolutely the granddaddy of them all. I haven't been around long enough to speak to the history of some of these events, but I'd say for it to be a crown jewel in all of dirt racing it needs to mean something for drivers everywhere. I think if we make a list of 10 crown jewels, some of them very well may be better classified as regional crown jewels, and not mean much to someone across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    Ok pick your top 5. No alternates or ties.
    1. World 100 — obvious
    2. Dream — Eldora + 100K
    3. North/South — HOF + 50K
    4. DTWC — could be higher, but can’t find a home
    5. USA Nationals/Cedar Lake — tied with 4 or 5 others

Crown jewel opinions are often a blend of regional bias and lots of here say.
    I hate time trials.

I am willing to bet that 95% of people's top 4 are all the same. I did this with Rigsby earlier and we literally had the same top 6. He had a tie at 6th but one of them was my 6.

If you have to ask if it is a crown jewel event, then it is probably not. And that is no disrespect to any event. It is just a cold hard fact.

The World 100
    The Dream
    Dirt Track World Championship
    North South 100
    Knoxville Late Model Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    I am willing to bet that 95% of people's top 4 are all the same. I did this with Rigsby earlier and we literally had the same top 6. He had a tie at 6th but one of them was my 6.

If you have to ask if it is a crown jewel event, then it is probably not. And that is no disrespect to any event. It is just a cold hard fact.

The World 100
    The Dream
    Dirt Track World Championship
    North South 100
    Knoxville Late Model Nationals
    I bet our 5-6-7 are interchangeable. We can debate it next time we have lunch lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Ok ok. I will leave your beloved Go Kart race called the Chili Bowl alone for a while. 
    You might think it is a "go kart" race (if you do, then you need to do some research), but it is truly a WORLD race. It is covered and watched in hundreds of countries around the world. World wide it has more interest than any other race.

World 100
    Dream
    North/South
    DTWC
    USA Nationals
    PDC
    Knoxville
    SDN

IMO there can only be one Crown Jewel in any form of racing. For DLM it's the World 100.

No different than Daytona 500 for NASCAR, Monaco GP for F1, Knoxville Nationals for sprints, Boone for IMCA Classes, Chili Bowl for Midgets, Indy 500 for IndyCar, or the US Nationals for NHRA.

Are other events big? Yes, but there is only one event that defines your sport to those outside your bubble.