Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Richmond (Lupinos) vs Lake Cumberland/Ponderosa (Hardgrove)

For everyone keeping up with KY dirt drama.... What is your take of recent events? August 21st The $20,059 Butterball memorial rains out and is rescheduled for September 18th-19th a Lake Cumberland weekly show weekend... August 29th the $10,022 Harold Hardgrove memorial is rained out and rescheduled for September 12th, Richmond does not run in recognition of the memorial. Lake Cumberland/Ponderosa (Both promoted by Brandon Hardgrove) announce back to back $5,000 to win Iron-Man(promoted by Tilley, Hardgrove's cousin) shows the weekend of the rescheduled Butterball September 18th-19th. Both promoters have been in a pizzing match with driver announcements. Even some allegations of paying drivers to show.

Al they would have to do is one of them run this weekend and one run the first weekend in October. Pretty stupid all the way around

Florence had a 5k set to be run on the 19th as well. Richmond scheduled on top of it to begin with. They have since moved it to next week.

It’s annoying and I wish they both would STFU

This day and age competing for cars anywhere in the country, by having a pi$$ing match is childish and dumb. It’s a terrible business decision to do it. Work together, or a good chance ya both will fail.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

They both run identical. I live in Richmond, and love ponderosa. Both tracks run every (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) class that KY has to offer every big late model race. And they time trial em all. Drives me crazy, and both tracks do it identical.

Hardgrove said he had a couple of unsanctioned shows scheduled for the weekend. I didn't see his previous schedule, so I don't know if that's true or not, just going by what he said on Facebook. Then when the Butterball got moved to that weekend, he decided to make both of them Iron Man races. When most people look to reschedule races these days, they go to DoD to see what's open. But I don't think they list that many unsanctioned races. It could be an honest mistake or it could be intentional. Only they know.

The drivers and the fans are the ones that are hurt by these moves. You have drivers like Chilton and others that would have gone to Richmond, but will now have to go to Ponderosa and Lake Cumberland. Fans will be split too. I was always impressed with the Kentucky tracks working together on these bigger events. I don't know what's happened between the two groups here. Maybe they need to form an alliance like we finally have in east Tennessee.

Wow how lame on brandon and chris tilley and bloomquist starr off as each track should respect the others main memorial race and not race against them that night and for bloomer wtf coming to ky to race and he going to hit 5000 to wins over a 20 grand event in the same area and him being one of the greatest ever wtf 2nd at richmond pays more than ponderosa and lake Cumberland combined plus richmond has 1000 to win heats that's unheard of this sounds like a bunch of democrats and Republicans going back and forth all I can say is hope all the fans and drivers make the right decision and support the Richmond raceway this night

Bonehead move for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsbluer2 View Post
    Wow how lame on brandon and chris tilley and bloomquist starr off as each track should respect the others main memorial race and not race against them that night and for bloomer wtf coming to ky to race and he going to hit 5000 to wins over a 20 grand event in the same area and him being one of the greatest ever wtf 2nd at richmond pays more than ponderosa and lake Cumberland combined plus richmond has 1000 to win heats that's unheard of this sounds like a bunch of democrats and Republicans going back and forth all I can say is hope all the fans and drivers make the right decision and support the Richmond raceway this night
    If Bloomquist wishes to test, Richmond is useless for the purpose.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Florence had a 5k set to be run on the 19th as well. Richmond scheduled on top of it to begin with. They have since moved it to next week.
    Good observation. I didn't even know that. Although Florence doesn't fight for the same cars on a weekly basis... It would make a difference when it comes to the likes of Jameson and The Silver Shark.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop Shock View Post
    Al they would have to do is one of them run this weekend and one run the first weekend in October. Pretty stupid all the way around
    So that begs the question. Why not run like you described? There must be something personal with the track owners.... but what?

Didnt the butterball last few years run iron man series or southern nationals who tilley was over but notice this year its ultimate series

Didnt the butterball last few years run iron man series or southern nationals who tilley was over but notice this year its ultimate series
    It was ultimate last year.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

It was a SN Bonus Series race two years ago. I was there for that one. It was Ultimate last year. Lupinos seems pretty tight with Ultimate.

He runs the Ultimate series

Why don't these tracks act like adults and work together? There aren't going to be enough fans to go around and everyone is going to lose on this deal.

The original schedule for Lake Cumberland had them running a regular show for all classes except Modifieds and it was a Iron Man Modifieds Show. Ponderosa had nothing scheduled. They came up with this idea a couple weeks ago and tried to say it was on the schedule from last year. That is a complete LIE. Tilley & him are cousins. They did this purposely. Richmond cancelled their shows 2 times for their big show. Once for the original date and again when they rescheduled. I feel like one problem is Larry Yantz and family were running Richmond Raceway when the Lupinos bought it. Larry now prepares the track at Ponderosa and are friends with them. There is some bad blood there somewhere. I have frequented all 3 tracks but I will not be back to Ponderosa or Lake Cumberland after this move. This was right out dirty business. I was at Lake Cumberland probably 15-20 years ago for a 3K race and in pulls Don O’Neal, Lannigan, Josh Tarter and quite a few other big names and they all proceed to turn around and leave, I am confused and I ask Mr. Hargrove why they were leaving and he said that he had to cut the purse and they were mad and wasn’t going to run. I asked him if he had cut the purse was he going to give me back some money on admission that I had paid to see a 3K Race. He then proceeds to tell me hell no and if I didnt like it I could leave. I did just that. I told him to take my money and stick it where the sun don’t shine and that I would never be back. I never returned to the track until last year. I thought you know he can’t help what happened between me and his dad so I gave it another shot but after this stunt he has pulled I will boycott any track he has anything to do with. I have been going to races for 45 years and thought I had seen it all but this is a sorry way to operate.

Same here I live 15 minutes from ponderosa been there only 1 time last few years just for the lucas shows havnt been LCD for at least 10 years and used to go richmond once a year for the butterball said I wouldn't be back there cause its usually a train around the bottom but I guess I have to now just to support them after this bold move it's sad when you live in central ky and call florence or brownstown your local tracks because of crappy things like this that make you avoid giving them your buisiness

Burnside and Richmond have the same problem. Namely, they’re way too narrow in the corners, and too narrow in general. The best thing that could happen to both would be some reconfiguration work. Both tracks produce boring racing more often than not.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...