Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by smoothoperator32 View Post
    Shiny nuthugger
    Looks like Bobby should've went and cherry picked.
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

it will be fun to see rtjr in a fulltime ride next year.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLMspeed View Post
    Looks like Bobby should've went and cherry picked.
    Or just stayed legal... Always something with these clowns.

Great job to a real smooth operator, T Mac!!

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    WOW!!!! That place is awesome
    I-80 is becoming my favorite track to watch a race on. Pretty consistent, seems fair to the tires, at one time or another during a race every inch of the track is a line/groove, slicin and dicin from top to bottom on what seems to be the widest dirt track there is on seemingly every lap (had a hard time keeping up with the positions of the cars), one helluva promoter who seems to dream up ways to pay these guys more, interesting dimensions at 4/10ths that should be easier on motors than a 1/2 mile but races like a big track.

Would love to hear from Shiny how the track is from outside the race surface as far as concessions, parking, layout, ease of moving around, bathrooms and things like that but from tv this might be my favorite track to watch a race on. Helluva race, again.

Folks ask what is a crown jewel. For me, and it may not be in some eyes and is subjective, is any race that WoO and Lucas guys are at the race, track prep is excellent with multiple grooves, the win purse is enough that racers might come out of their line racing 3rd for a chance at winning and risk dropping to 6th.............. To this fan this race raced like a crown jewel.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    Thornton got anything??
    This kid is fun to watch. Last time I saw Thorton here he was bangin the wall, hells bells, caution to the wind, wild man racing. This time he starts 3rd or 4th row, rides the bottom, rides the bottom, rides the bottom hanging around 5th, 6th or 7th and I'm thinking the same thing you are is he gonna let loose and does he have something for the beasts up front, did he manage the race well enough and let er rip at some point and make a run?

Sure enough with about 15-18 to go after a restart from 5th or 6th he comes up off the bottom and is racing up and down the track and dueling with Richards, especially, and Strickler swapping spots and finishes 3rd. Kid can wheel for sure, is showing intelligence too and is a quick learner. .......... Went from banging the wall a good portion of the race to managing the race and making a run late.

Plus you gotta love that kid's goofy smile that never comes off his face.
    Last edited by Mister Ricochet; 09-20-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ricochet View Post
    I-80 is becoming my favorite track to watch a race on. Pretty consistent, seems fair to the tires, at one time or another during a race every inch of the track is a line/groove, slicin and dicin from top to bottom on what seems to be the widest dirt track there is on seemingly every lap (had a hard time keeping up with the positions of the cars), one helluva promoter who seems to dream up ways to pay these guys more, interesting dimensions at 4/10ths that should be easier on motors than a 1/2 mile but races like a big track.Would love to hear from Shiny how the track is from outside the race surface as far as concessions, parking, layout, ease of moving around, bathrooms and things like that but from tv this might be my favorite track to watch a race on. Helluva race, again. Folks ask what is a crown jewel. For me, and it may not be in some eyes and is subjective, is any race that WoO and Lucas guys are at the race, track prep is excellent with multiple grooves, the win purse is enough that racers might come out of their line racing 3rd for a chance at winning and risk dropping to 6th.............. To this fan this race raced like a crown jewel.
    I think they usually have two lines for concessions going on big race days and not a bad selection. They also have a snack concession stand with ice cream, root beer floats, hot chocolate, etc. They have a small souvenir stand as well. Not bad to get in and out of the stands, if you're in the big stands the stairs can be a pain sometimes but there are shorter stands on either side. The seats do have backs, and although they're old I don't think they cause many problems. One thing that I would like to see I-80 do is upgrade their facilities a bit though, mainly their bathrooms. They can fit quite a few people in there with all the trough urinals, but I think everything in the bathrooms except the hand dryers are probably the originals from when the track was built in the 90s. But since they're pretty big they're quick to get in and out of and they get the job done. I-80 used to have a small ferris wheel and another carnival ride for kids, not sure what they have up there now. They also fit probably 7-8 souvenir trailers up right inside the gate for big races, so this weekend they had Pierce, Owens, Lucas Oil/Arizona, Rocket, Bronson, Terbo, Hudson, Davenport, and a diecast guy, and a stand with I-80 Nationals apparel.

This kid is fun to watch. Last time I saw Thorton here he was bangin the wall, hells bells, caution to the wind, wild man racing. This time he starts 3rd or 4th row, rides the bottom, rides the bottom, rides the bottom hanging around 5th, 6th or 7th and I'm thinking the same thing you are is he gonna let loose and does he have something for the beasts up front, did he manage the race well enough and let er rip at some point and make a run?Sure enough with about 15-18 to go after a restart from 5th or 6th he comes up off the bottom and is racing up and down the track and dueling with Richards, especially, and Strickler swapping spots and finishes 3rd. Kid can wheel for sure, is showing intelligence too and is a quick learner. .......... Went from banging the wall a good portion of the race to managing the race and making a run late.Plus you gotta love that kid's goofy smile that never comes off his face.
    He started 11th. Rode around in 6th - 9th for 50 laps. Then he hit the GO button. Kid has got the talent, now he has the equipment. BTW, the last time he was at I-80 was his 1st time ever & he finished 2nd to BSHEPP in July

Quote Originally Posted by 0_VodooChild_0 View Post
    He started 11th. Rode around in 6th - 9th for 50 laps. Then he hit the GO button. Kid has got the talent, now he has the equipment. BTW, the last time he was at I-80 was his 1st time ever & he finished 2nd to BSHEPP in July
    Thanks for the corrections. Thorton came a long way thru some fine drivers. We all saw Pierce race up from 31st to 8th or 9th before he started steaming but seemed his progress stopped when he got up to the very best drivers. Great field period but from 10th up it was fantastic and the kid passed some good ones to finish 3rd.

First time I ever saw I-80 was the race Thorton finished 2nd, that's when he got on my radar. Do I remember it correctly he was banging the wall for most of the race or was that some place else like Florence? .......... Easy kid to root for, checks all my boxes. Very encouraged to see him manage his equipment and the race understanding how to be relatively close with 20 to go in a long race vs the best drivers.

I really really hope he runs Lucas or WoO next yr. Kid seems to have what it takes but so does Rice and he's still regional. ............ Kid said he'll be at the 1/4 mile bullring in Brownstown next weekend for the 2 day show so we get to see more of him.

Quote Originally Posted by mod95 View Post
    I think they usually have two lines for concessions going on big race days and not a bad selection. They also have a snack concession stand with ice cream, root beer floats, hot chocolate, etc. They have a small souvenir stand as well. Not bad to get in and out of the stands, if you're in the big stands the stairs can be a pain sometimes but there are shorter stands on either side. The seats do have backs, and although they're old I don't think they cause many problems. One thing that I would like to see I-80 do is upgrade their facilities a bit though, mainly their bathrooms. They can fit quite a few people in there with all the trough urinals, but I think everything in the bathrooms except the hand dryers are probably the originals from when the track was built in the 90s. But since they're pretty big they're quick to get in and out of and they get the job done. I-80 used to have a small ferris wheel and another carnival ride for kids, not sure what they have up there now. They also fit probably 7-8 souvenir trailers up right inside the gate for big races, so this weekend they had Pierce, Owens, Lucas Oil/Arizona, Rocket, Bronson, Terbo, Hudson, Davenport, and a diecast guy, and a stand with I-80 Nationals apparel.
    Thanks for taking the time to share, 95. Love the idea of a mini carnival for the kids. Wear the little buggers out so they ain't darting around come race time.

I-80 is on my bucket list but when they said the temps are in the mid 90's for the SDN I cringed. Love the fall races but no matter would love to see another big race at I-80 besides the SDN. Drivers and fans love the place, the promoter is first rate as is the surface and the fans come out. Checks all the boxes. Love to see another big race at I-80.

Thanks for taking the time to share, 95. Love the idea of a mini carnival for the kids. Wear the little buggers out so they ain't darting around come race time.

I-80 is on my bucket list but when they said the temps are in the mid 90's for the SDN I cringed. Love the fall races but no matter would love to see another big race at I-80 besides the SDN. Drivers and fans love the place, the promoter is first rate as is the surface and the fans come out. Checks all the boxes. Love to see another big race at I-80.
    We were all joking this weekend that this is the first time I along with others had been to I-80 and it was 100 degrees in the shade...I love the SDN bit they are incredibly hot

Quote Originally Posted by mod95 View Post
    This pretty much covers everything. I just wish they had a better PA system.

I finally got home last night. I think I'll have to check out a SDN.

50/50 on me going to Brownstown. If I go, I may not be able to provide updates because last time I was there (2016), I had absolutely no cell service. I'll have to decide by tomorrow. I suppose I could go to Tri-City on Saturday instead.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Shiny, Mod Mania at Tri City is usually a pretty good show. Can’t go wrong either way.
    I hate time trials.

Anybody wanna talk about how Landers looked way more confortable in the Nutrien Ag car than JD?
    This guy hasn't ran in almost a year.
    Can't imagine JD and Jared being full-time teammates.
    Offseason should once again be interesting.

Is landers ride just temp or does it go full time next yr?

I'm personally wondering if we see the 777 return full-time, with JD moving on.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Good question but I dont see jd moving on right yet.
    I would say they will be team mates first and see how that goes.

The carnival thing hasn’t been there in years. I believe the original owners had an idea of making the track more of an entertainment venue when it first open. The kosiskis did upgrade the playground equipment by the entrance in the last few years. Not sure if it was open at all this year due to CoVid restrictions.

I know most of you guys think I’m an I-80 homer. IMO, they completely knocked it out of the park while clearing the upper deck. I loved everything about this weekend. Support classes were short and sweet. The shows were done by 10pm all 3 nights. The car count was on par with the SDN. The weather was (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) near perfect. Campground was completely full. The only thing missing was the all the fireworks and slightly more of a purse.

I wish they could squeeze this race weekend in on the schedule for 2021. I honestly believe the support is there.

I'd love to see another big late model show on the schedule next year. If Joe and Steve try to add something I wonder if they'll look at May like where the Go 50 originally was or if they'll try to find a weekend in the fall. I unfortunately wasn't there Saturday so I didn't see how big the crowd was but like you said the car count was comparable to the SDN. Although I hope they can break 50 cars at the SDN next year, hopefully they won't be competing against the Summer Nationals.

Default Husker

After watching the show all weekend from my recliner , I can see why you are such an avid supporter of the place.

Place is about as good as it gets from where I sat.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Looked like they had a really good crowd when I was watching