Default E85--Oxygenated Gas--Pump gas

lets talk fuel
    lets swap stories
    lets discuss problems
    what do YOU like?

Brad
    Race-1.com

Funny you posted this. I was planning on calling you in a bit to pick your brain on an issue im having.

fire away---sharing issues with everyone is always a good thing
    If I cannot help --I am sure we can talk it through with someone here

Brad
    www.race-1.com

What should the carb maintenance be from week to week? We seem to be getting a fair amount of residue!

what fuel are you on zero?

Brad
    www.race-1.com

VP Crate Horsepower

Brad,
    Do you see any real performance differences in leaded e-85 race fuel in a drum, and tested good e-85 from the gas pumps at local gas station?
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

zero25--
    CHP is tuff on everything
    there is no denying the power it makes but it comes with a price--
    we recommend running an upper lube with that fuel (marvel mystery oil works fine)
    use as directed ---more is not better
    beyond that ---anytime the car will sit idle for more than a week---the fuel system should be drained and flushed with a non oxygenated fuel juiced with the same upper lube
    also---replace power valves in the carb twice a year
    call me with any questions

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Just add dirt,
    E-85 fuel---pump VS race grade
    on the dyno we have seen absolutely no difference between race grade (leaded) E85 and "GOOD" pump E85
    here is the problem---I am not even going into the ethanol content discussion as I hope everyone already understands the importance of testing the content
    BUT ---pump fuels are generally stored underground and anything stored underground is subject to moisture issues
    If your station does not move a high volume of e85 there can easily be a moisture issue in your fuel.
    it is critical to engine performance to have moisture free fuel that is at a content of 84 to 86 % ethanol
    when we have this recipe we do not see any difference in dyno numbers---however we believe in track performance over dyno testing --so if you tell me the one or the other performed better on track we will analyze the situation to form a scientific explanation as to why

sorry to ramble there but there is not a clear answer to your question ---there are variables

Brad
    www.race-1.com

For a 604 I'm seeing people running 650 and 750 carburetor what's power difference or is one better than the other?

we lived in 650 land for ever no matter what the fuel because 650's just accelerate better
    BUT
    recently (last year or so) for E85 we have moved to a bit larger carb for E85 because our builder (Stealth) has figured out a few things to maintain acceleration rate with a little more air to carry the engine at the end.

carb size 101----bigger carbs make power at a higher RPM---smaller carbs accelerate better but lack power on the topside

currently (for most applications) on E85 we use a 700 for 602's which is a 1.300 venturi and 730 for 604's which is a 1.345 venturi but that is Stealth---if I were using a different manufacturer I would quiz them on acceleration VS power

we still use 650's for all gas applications (1.250 venturi)

hope that helps
    Brad
    www.race-1.com

hey brad , just curious , have you done any testing with a E85 500 cfm 2brl on a 602 ?

I have not had that opportunity----we do have a ton of 2 brl stuff on 602's but it's in an area where they mandate gas
    my guess is that it would be awesome
    602's love e85 and they do well on 2brl's

I wore myself out trying to improve on the adapter for gas and I believe the adapter for e85 might need some tweeks as well to get the best result

Brad
    www.race-1.com

ok , the new factory stock class we have requires a 2 brl period , whether a built engine or a 602 ....

Default carb size: how to determine

is there a simple way to measure the carb to figure out venturi size and cfm with the E85 specialty carbs that don't have list numbers anywhere on them....

Would E85 benefit at all with a top end lube added?
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

might help a little with cylinder wear , but I dont think it would be worth the trouble ....

Brad,
    What have you discovered with E85 that is stored in a plastic 55 gal drum? I hear there's a pricy nitrogen deal that should be used to remove moisture? I switched to E85 this year because I only race 5/6 times a year. (Got sick of getting my ass kicked on re-starts).
    Also, this fuel smells like ass! what's the harm in adding a cap full of scented fuel juice to the cell? (Bubble gum, cotton candy ect). I hear that's considered an "additive" in tech?
    Thanks mister,,,,,,

Any more discussion on E85. Pros cons