Default Davenport Speedway

Just wanted to say a special thanks to all that made this year one of the best years since back in the late 90's/early 2000's. Shawn Loter, Brenda and Ricky Kay, and Robert Wagner all put on specials and weekly racing this season with COVID-19 ruining everyones racing season. I can't wait to see what's in store for 2021 as I've heard there's rumblings of quite a few specials along with possibly a large multiple day show. I also hope we can have some constructive talk on how to improve the big 1/2 mile track. Whether that means its shortened down? Widened? More banking added? I dunno. Either way, thanks again to all who made the racing this year at The Davenport Speedway awesome!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BirkyTime15B View Post
    Just wanted to say a special thanks to all that made this year one of the best years since back in the late 90's/early 2000's. Shawn Loter, Brenda and Ricky Kay, and Robert Wagner all put on specials and weekly racing this season with COVID-19 ruining everyones racing season. I can't wait to see what's in store for 2021 as I've heard there's rumblings of quite a few specials along with possibly a large multiple day show. I also hope we can have some constructive talk on how to improve the big 1/2 mile track. Whether that means its shortened down? Widened? More banking added? I dunno. Either way, thanks again to all who made the racing this year at The Davenport Speedway awesome!!!!
    Is this the big 1/2 mile at the fairgrounds? The one with the 1/4 mile inside of it? If so I was there 10 or so yrs ago and what struck me was how clean the place is. ........... What are some of the criticisms of the place and what would you like to see changed/reconfigured?

i luv the DPort half mile.....but the true open motor LM cars put on the best show. Other divisions should stick to the small track. Having an event using both the 1/2 and 1/4 mile would be very entertaining. Could you imagine WoO or Lucas on the half mile and Hoker series or USMTS mods on the 1/4 during one event? I can see the sponsors lining up for that one.

The majority of the races on the 1/2 mile are snooze-fests. It would be awesome if they would shorten it.

Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    The majority of the races on the 1/2 mile are snooze-fests. It would be awesome if they would shorten it.
    I agree. If the race is on the 1/2, I don't go.

How hard would it be to add more banking to the half mile from what i watched on dirtvision it seems that the 1/2 mile track was just a little to flat but that is just my opinion

Amazingly it did turn out to be a great year at Davenport and other places. I've been to around 15 tracks this season (MN, IA, WI, IL) and many have had increased car and fan counts. I don't know if there is much of a future for the big half-mile...wouldn't be surprised to see it sit idle in the years ahead but who knows. Davenport has always been one of my favorite racing venues...glad I made it down there five times in this shortened season.

I know it would take tremendous work, but would it be possible to make a the track into a 3/8 track. Obviously that would require a massive amount of dirt work and reconfigurations of lighting and safety equipment. Or can significant work be done to 1/2 mile making it way banked and start the entry’s into corners way earlier?