Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Interesting, thanks for posting.
    I hate time trials.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLMspeed View Post
    68 cars in 1971 fast time was 20.20. In 2019 there was 98. Fast time was 15.269
    I remember a day race in the 90s where a 20 sec lap was still mid pack in qualifying.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I have to chime in on this. Great thread. I was a regular at Tri County speedway in those days and Redwine had weekly large crowds and car counts. His 1000 to win races brought cars from four or five states. this is where I first saw Ed Howe. He was in a plain old green car and blew everyone off the track. Who is this guy? Then here comes Senneker from Dor Michigan and he is tough to be.YIKES Now for Earl at the big E. Redwine was amazed at the 4000 to win, but Earl was always the first to test the waters with new ideas. Remember all of that very well. As a side note, I could have strangled Redwine when he black topped his track. I do not know what he was thinking, even at that time.
    The World grew in stature asap as everyone knows Earl added a thousand a year which Tony is still doing today. Problem is it should be more like 5Gs a year in this day and age. LOL

1976 was the first year they paid a $1000 to win at Brownstown, a 100 lapper.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Quote Originally Posted by B_K View Post
    Paid $9000 in 1976 and the guy that won it in 76 won a heat in 1977 but was a DNS for the feature.Hughes blew up coming to the checkers in the heat.Kenimer and Snooks went 1-2 in that feature. Could have had a NGA podium that year, but alas it was not meant to be.
    At that time Charlie Hughes was one of top runners in the country Charlie Hughes Doug kenimer snooks Billy Thomas and a lot of others would be at the old Boyd's speedway on Friday night imagine what that was like then at Rome on Sunday night.

Traditionally the winners share for the World would go up $1000 every year, not sure if that is still the case. One year (I think it was '83) JW Hunt put an extra $10,000 on it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLMspeed View Post
    Not hard to find. It's all right here.https://www.dirtondirt.com/history-major.php?id=8
    Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    Thanks for the link
    That is real interesting to look at I noticed when they went from 85 to 86 when they went from day to night the times dropped over 2 seconds.

don't know about 10k jw Hunt put up but i know for sure he put up 1,000.

I know the JW Hunt foundations or whatever its called, left enough money for Earl to do his 1,000.000
    dollar to win race.