Thread: Knoxville

Default Knoxville

According to this article the only reason Nascar wouldn't schedule an event there is that they are afraid a heavy stock car would go right through the guard rails.

https://racingnews-co.cdn.ampproject...rns-to-dirt%2F
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Jason Hughes hit the turn 3 wall in 2014 about as hard as a late model could hit it. Put a pretty good dent in the fence, but it held up. Granted these cars are a bit lighter, but also likely faster than a cup car on dirt.

Hahaha, yeah, a Cup car is only gonna get to like 80mph anyways. Slow taxi cabs designed for pavement. I hope it rains the whole weekend at Bristol.

that would be as boring as arca at the mile dirt tracks. freight train around the bottom

Sprints have gone over it on multiple occasions. Last one was a few years back. Car went over in turn 1. The guy lived in Knoxville so they just towed his car home instead of back to the pits. They have extended the fencing on top of guardrails since then so going over is a lot less likely now.

Run a special event at Knoxville with IMCA stock cars. You know, the ones on GM metric frames and 8 inch tires. Then you'll get an idea of a Cup car going around Knoxville, about a tic slower than the IMCA stocker.

Remember the turn 1/2 center fence is right on the edge of the street, room for a sidewalk but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by BirkyTime15B View Post
    Hahaha, Slow taxi cabs designed for pavement. I hope it rains the whole weekend at Bristol.
    That's evil 15b!! Ever heard "a rising tide lifts all boats " before? Dirt racing in its entirety needs Bristol Dirt to be successful. It won't be the World 100 or Knoxville Nationals, but it can get many other non-dirt folks interested.

2300lb late model vs a 3500lb cup car.

Anyone else up for Joey Logano to try out hitting that Knoxville wall as hard as he can to test it out?

Its got my vote!

I'm in....
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Please don't destroy the Knoxville reputation for 1st class racing by putting that series on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Reynolds View Post
    Anyone else up for Joey Logano to try out hitting that Knoxville wall as hard as he can to test it out?

Its got my vote!
    Matt Kenseth says he is willing to help!