Default Willys SuperBowl?

What is the advantage to this set up as opposed to a conventional type carb on E85?

empting your wallet a lot quicker
    pain in the ass to start engine, cause there is no fuel in the bowl
    I would love to see some back to back comparisons with both carbs optimally tuned.
    I am jaded a bit cause I spent 8+ hours on a chassis dyno trying to get one to run properly for a guy that it was ordered and built for a GM 604 crate.
    was ready to throw the darn thing out in the street, but I finally got it.
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 11-16-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Hendren surely recommends one.

Maybe Brad can shed some light on the subject!

I had to chuckle when JustaddDirt commented because I had 2 or 3 experiences with the early superbowls and nearly smashed all of them on the ground---similar to his experience.
    I had made up my mind that there would never be another one in my shop---but then one day Tony Smith from Stealth went out to Willy's shop and the two of them together made some modifications to the concept and then continued to work out problems for period of time after that.
    Trust me it took some coaxing from those guys but I did try it again. and the newer version did not give me any hassle

the fuel pump is key-----the system has a poppet valve that will not let fuel into the carb at low pressures so it can be a pain to start sometimes
    we have used belt pumps but they are not the best situation for start up
    a 15 PSI block pump works very well but even better yet is Willy's piston pump that he has recently redesigned from stewart

once we get through the pump issues then fuel cell vent system is the next snag
    this system moves a ton of fuel back to the cell and the vent must be of adequate size and free flowing
    they actually make a high flow fuel cell vent just for superbowl applications

if you have an older superbowl that is giving you grief---before you smash it send it to Willy or Stealth for updates and you should be good----I have no idea what they changed but I have had several of the newer ones and they worked out fine.

all that being said----I still like the simplicity of a conventional bowl system.
    the theory of the superbowl is certainly impressive but I am not completely convinced that the advantage is overwhelming

Brad
    www.race-1.com

glad they got it figured out.
    the one i was trying to work with had a KSE p/s fuel pump driven off the bell housing. If I remember right the kit had a bypass to block off the return line from the pump, and it was throwing all the fuel at the carb.

I am with you brad, if it isn't broke don't fix it.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

It is wise to carry the box and roll the tire. Psuedo-wise men prefer to carry the tire and roll the box. Good floats and needles work.

wow do I like that quote ---I have several people I am thinking of sharing it with

and the bad part is I am guilty of carrying the tire sometimes when we get all caught up in testing

thanks for the reminder
    Brad

It's probably been explained some where else but what is the advantage over a regular carb.Thanks

No air entrapped in the fuel.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

We run one, and i did all of what Willy said to do and it runs very well. It is a newer one thou, got it last year.

You have to follow what Willys says to do on the set up for one.

Just say no...

Would adding the fuel bowl extensions onto a regular carb to add extra volume help out by having that little extra so that the needle and seat doesn't become exposed and aerate the fuel as much

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar DLM View Post
    Would adding the fuel bowl extensions onto a regular carb to add extra volume help out by having that little extra so that the needle and seat doesn't become exposed and aerate the fuel as much
    Too a certain point, yes it will help but for sure won't alleviate all of it by any means or IMO help all that much. A standard needle and seat is still spraying fuel at or above the fuel level and under pressure through an orifice (think finger over a garden hose = aerated fuel) spraying over an open bucket. It will tend to aerate but if you stuck the hose unrestricted into the bucket at the bottom, it will see way less aeration

Not all bowls and needles are the same. Some address that. What little aeration could occur is of no consequence if it's tuned correctly and on board data collection can show that.
    Last edited by 50j; 12-03-2020 at 09:50 AM.

that tune is only correct if the aeration in the fuel is consistent and the same every lap. From the videos that Billet has posted before of the fuel in the bowl just running on a dyno with no fuel slosh I tend to think it's more than a little aeration.

Some bowls and needles are better than others. Onboard data acquisition can show what happens on the track and there is less variance than you might think there is. If you're happy with it that's what matters.
    Last edited by 50j; 12-03-2020 at 02:08 PM.

There is a video on youtube that you can watch. Also if you go to willys shop he will tune each throat of the carb to what the cylinder actually is wanting. The The jets inside the throat are also smaller not taking up as much space if you look down through the top of them and compare. its a neat system.