Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Davenport?

And so does Ricky Weiss

Ricky's had a few issues with it.
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

His biggest issue was where the team was working out of.

3rd in Lucas points = struggling? I can think of a lot of racers that would like to be in that situation.

And podium finishes help pay the bills.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    3rd in Lucas points = struggling? I can think of a lot of racers that would like to be in that situation.

The best ever to come out of the Midwest couldn't crack the top 5 the years he tried it....id say top 3 is pretty sporty
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I don't think paying bills in Davenport's corner is any issue.
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    The best ever to come out of the Midwest couldn't crack the top 5 the years he tried it....id say top 3 is pretty sporty
    Rapid Roy Mitchell?
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Different expectations for different drivers. While third would be great for 95% of SLM drivers, Jonathan Davenport isn't happy with third. I can promise you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Rapid Roy Mitchell?
    Lol, something like that........
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    Different expectations for different drivers. While third would be great for 95% of SLM drivers, Jonathan Davenport isn't happy with third. I can promise you that.
    And I bet old man Landers isn't happy about it either.

I never meant that Davenport wasn’t still one of the best in the game. Just not up on the wheel like I’m used to seeing. Guy was struggling at regional shows on the Lucas off weekends. I know he’s still got it, and still won the intercontinental classic this year. It just seems more to me he ain’t allowed to run the rim like he used to, or maybe he’s just more conservative on equipment now. Guy is first class and never intended to question his ability.

Wow, he qualified 12th in group & finished 7th in heat at Whynot!

3rd in Lucas points doesn’t mean much. I mean, the optics of it when compared Owens, Sheppard, Overton, and McCreadie shows that 3rd place in points means you can consistently run in the top 5 or 10 and knock out a win or two. but DLM racing is dominated by 1 or 2 people each season and Davenport hasn’t been in that conversation in quite a while. If you’re not in the conversation of “which drivers are lights out dominating” or “who’s #1 on the dirt on dirt list” then you might as well be in the same conversation as Darrel Lanigan. If you’re trying to say he’s fast because he’s top 3 in Lucas, then you’re in denial and grasping at straws at finding a reason to put him in the mix

"DLM racing is dominated by 1 or 2 people each season and Davenport hasn't been mentioned in that conversation in quite a while."

not sure your definition of quite a while but he was last years champion. And to compare JD to Lanigan is like comparing B Shep to Chuck Hummer.
    8/13/16

He came out of speedweeks last year pretty good winning 3 races and after that and was average most of the Lucas tour events. Consistency and winning a race here and there kept him on top. I think the had 2 Lucas wins between middle of July and DTWC in October
    2020 race count:
    1/2 of an event

He qualifies terrible which in Lucas races kills you. Car is not competitive at all. Not sure what the problem is but people always say a driver doesn’t forget how to drive. The changes in the cars is where people get behind.

Lanigan had 13 top 5’s and 1 win

Davenport has 19 top 5’s and 4 wins

They’re not that far apart. Davenport will always have an asterisk next to his successful seasons because Rumley is such a glaring contributor to his success.

At least when Lanigan had his WoO title runs, it was because of Lanigan and nobody else.
    Bloomquist has won all his titles because of Bloomquist.
    Madden ran 2nd to Sheppard a few years ago in WoO because of Chris Madden.
    What I’m saying is that these guys are well capable of setting the bar. Davenport is a wheelman and that’s it. He has yet to show me that he’s a great setup guy. The Nascar narrative of having a great driver and crew chief combo doesn’t matter in DLM racing

But honestly, how much water does a championship hold anymore? You’re either winning or you aren’t. Winning a title on consistency doesn’t mean much. Especially when your earnings for the year barely crack $400,000.

Almost nobody wins all by themselves. Rumley was just as responsible for all the cars Davenport had in 2016 that were undrivable.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

"DLM racing is dominated by 1 or 2 people each season and Davenport hasn't been mentioned in that conversation in quite a while."not sure your definition of quite a while but he was last years champion. And to compare JD to Lanigan is like comparing B Shep to Chuck Hummer.
    No need to drop the H Bomb in this thread

I'll never understand why he didn't just buy his own gear after a couple high paying seasons and field his own team rather than flipping burgers for other people. Say what you want about Madden but at least he invests in himself.