Thread: Shock Travel?

Default Shock Travel?

How much travel are you getting on the RF?

Chevelle clip, AFCO, ALL Star Lowers, M2 Speedway 3 piece spindles. I am using a normal ball joint bottom, 412 Howe non extended, and a 1" extended top.

I can only get 3" max.

Offhand question, is there a way to measure a lower to tell if its a 1" extended? I cant really find a part number on it, but they have an Allstar Perf sticker on it.

Thanks, Krom

Just say no...

from ride height a little over 4+, take the spring out and start clearancing whatever is hitting. Mine is with a fairly stiff spring but the shock is outboard of the a frame

This is something that I see shock builders seldom ever asking and there is a difference on where the shock is mounted and its location to the ball joint and its relationship *motion ratio to wheel travel.*

I see many running up through the upper a arm near ball joint and then move to forward of the a arm at around a 60/40 split and then mounting for and aft. Would change the valving requirements tremendously to maintain the same dampening.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

im at 4 1/4. Youll probably have to spend some time clearancing everything with the old hot wrench

Revisiting this, how much Travel with a Chevelle AFCO clip can you get before the Frame hits the ground?

Dependent on the mount postiion but most Ride heights are about the same, Lower bolt is usually 6" or so off the ground.
    Last edited by Kromulous; 03-20-2023 at 12:17 PM.

Just say no...

last time i went through ours im pretty sure our arms hit the frame before we hit the ground. we are 7 7/8" ride height to center of a arm bolt to ground. we run about 4" of travel and dont hit anything under race conditions. But had a a couple of times last year where we got in a big wreck and on full brake lock and if there is some character in the track we will hit with the cross memeber and scoop up enough dirt to bend a drag link and idlers.

Thanks for that Outlaw, 4 inch measured at the shock?

Shock located out board of the Upper A arm? or Inboard ?

Yeah above i listed 6" or so at ride and thats to low, 7 3/4" is where i am at usually but i dont measure it that way anymore, usually shock length. Maybe i should check it thou, to be sure there is not something off.
    Last edited by Kromulous; 03-22-2023 at 08:51 AM.

Just say no...

4" on the shock. We dykem the shafts to get as true of a measurement as we can. Marker works too just wipes easier.

Shock is outboard near the ball joint on LCA.

Shock length measurement is a great way to do, our chassis builder use the control arm bolt # as that doesnt change from update to update. we have adjustable upper shock mounts so it can get messy on the communication side if not careful. i have a squirrel brain and need to keep simple.