Default Bilstein AS2-R question

Could someone tell me how to properly remove the rod end on the double adjustable Bilstein AS2-R shock, so that I am not changing anything internally.

Thanks in advance!

I have no specific knowledge on the bilsteins but would imagine they are no different than any of the other manufacturers. The end is just an ajuster knob dubbing a shaft and has no actual effect on internal shock settings/ valving

Not a shock expert by any means

Most shocks work by moving a shaft that closes off a bleed, so if you take end off and don't get it 100% in the exact same position on the threads on the shaft then you have moved the rod/needle up or down and the poundage at certain clicks will be off. This could be a ton or very small.

A 1/16th of a turn on the rod end could be huge on the poundage.

If your going to attempt it this is the best way I have found to do it: (general shocks not particular shock and some may be way different as far as needs or procedure)

1. Measure the distance from the bottom of the body to the hiem end with the shaft fully extended (you will need 12" or similar long calipers - not done with a tape) so you can screw back on so the hiem is screwed back onto the shaft the exact same amount

2nd option Not as accurate: mark the shaft and heim with a sharpie (be careful to not wipe of mark on shaft when working on it) and then count the turns to remove it from the shaft. To reinstall turn that number of turns and align the mark on heim and shaft and tighten jam nut.

Hope that helps, again not a shock guy

Following what Billet said - I'm not familiar with those shocks but if there is a jam nut that holds the loop on, try not to loosen it or turn it anymore than you have to. And when you remove the loop, don't let the jam nut turn or spin. Just helps to keep everything in the same position.

Some shocks you are better off to close off the adjuster before removing the loop (adjust it to full positive or full stiff). Then install new loop and count your clicks back from full-close. However, some shocks can bind up the pushrod when isntalling the new loop if you go this route - just don't force anything.