Thread: The Best Tracks

Default The Best Tracks

Since this section of the forum sees the most intellectually stimulating and pertinent conversations by posters who aren't primarily looking to stalk and attempt to belittle those who make them look silly and small I post these questions.

We all know Fairbury, Illinois is probably the best dirt late model bullring in the Midwest. But, I'd like to know from those who attend dirt open wheel events on a regular basis what their favorite tracks are for midgets, wingless 410's, winged 410's and USAC Silver Crown divisions.

At the top of my rankings for the best midget track is Mighty Macon Speedway followed closely by Little Belleville and Ventura Speedway. Some of the most epic midget racing we've ever witnessed has taken place at Mighty Macon!

My pick for the best wingless 410 sprint car track is Kokomo Speedway. Perris Auto Speedway is my 2nd pick but it's a substantial distance behind Kokomo. I understand that Haubstadt is tops on many fans' list and that is totally legit but I give the nod to Kokomo.

My pick for winged 410 sprint cars may be viewed as a bit odd. I don't attend all that many winged events but the ones I do attend has I-55 at the very top of my list. The best winged racing I've ever seen took place at Pevely, MO.

My pick for the USAC Silver Crown division is very hard to make. I've attended both dirt and pavement Silver Crown races at various tracks. The 2018 Silver Crown portion of Eldora's 4 Crown Nationals was one for the ages and one of the absolute best races a fan could ever expect to see. Terre Haute had hosted some great SC races over the years, as well. But since I'm a born & raised, tried and true Illini I have to go with one of the Illinois mile dirt tracks. That's where the difficulty lies. I dearly love both Springfield and Du Quoin. With much consternation the nod goes to Du Quoin. Reason's? The lights and night racing. We've seen the cushion form up at DQ and stick around the full 100 miles and that just doesn't happen at Springfield with it's summertime day shows. Korey Weyant's storied and incredible LCQ performance at Springfield nearly propelled Springfield to the top of my list but DQ still won out by a whisker! For those who aren't familiar with Korey's epic run I'll post a video proof!

Let's see what the rest of ya'll think.

CIRF, great post. I'd like to get your thoughts on WVMS running next season, if they run a big sprint show, are you interested? Have you ever been to West Virginia Motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro32 View Post
    CIRF, great post. I'd like to get your thoughts on WVMS running next season, if they run a big sprint show, are you interested? Have you ever been to West Virginia Motor?
    It's always a very good situation when a track that has been closed becomes active again. I certainly would be interested in most anything they may race at WVMS. The winged 410's at WVMS would undoubtedly be wicked fast but it's unclear whether it would be good racing. Just an uneducated thought on my part. Wingless sprint car racing is centered in Indiana and western Ohio and the wingless cars shy away from travelling all that much but we can hope they would give the place a try.

I have been to WVMS but it was back in the early to mid 1990's. It was so cold we basically concentrated on preventing frostbite as much as the on track activities. What I do remember is that the place was a very nice and fastidiously maintained facility at that time.

Really hope the new regime makes a go of it. It sounds as if they are going to make an honest effort and that is all that can be asked or expected.

I hate to go there but I see the Chili Bowl did not make your list? All kidding aside the PA tracks are good. The groves and also Lernerville. Charlotte dirt track is getting better.

Best ever and it will never, ever change, Ascot Park.

Late Model Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
    I hate to go there but I see the Chili Bowl did not make your list? All kidding aside the PA tracks are good. The groves and also Lernerville. Charlotte dirt track is getting better.
    The Chili Bowl is an event that transcends most norms. I somewhat prefer to spectate racing in a temperate outdoor setting so I limited my choices to permanent outdoor facilities. Taking nothing away from The Chili Bowl. It's beyond a doubt one of the 2 or 3 most important, influential and sought after victories involving any form of dirt racing of any driver from any racing discipline. Part of it's allure is how unique and different it is as compared to outdoor facilities. Don't know if that makes any sense but it's how I feel thus I left it off of my list.

Different types racecars are more entertaining when experienced at different venues. That is why I posed the question as which tracks, in your opinion, are best suited for a specific genre' of racecar. Case in point: in my opinion winged sprint cars aren't nearly as entertaining at Macon as are the midgets. The dirt late models aren't nearly as entertaining at a place such as Terre Haute as they are at Fairbury or Macon. The Silver Crown cars are a whole other animal and aren't even in the conversation regarding someplace like Macon or Haubstadt.

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    Best ever and it will never, ever change, Ascot Park.

Late Model Mark
    I knew you would say exactly that and I will forever envy you for having participated in the whole Ascot Park experience. I'm still curious in regards to your preferences involving the midgets and Silver Crown divisions. I know the midgets ran at Ascot yearly but in your opinion were they better at Ascot as opposed to Ventura or Placerville, etc.?

Yes they were better than Ventura, especially when they ran the inner track.

Ventura is really cool but I have seen better shows, not by much at Bakersfield Speedway.

More answers later, storm outside is making the electricity blink.

LMM