Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

i know this is not dirt but there were 2 racers that had maybe the most monster seasons in short track racing, (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Trickle in 1972 won 67 features, Tom Reffner in 1975 won 67 features. Reffner had quick time in 75 81 out of 116 ran, impressive.

Late Model Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    i know this is not dirt but there were 2 racers that had maybe the most monster seasons in short track racing, (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Trickle in 1972 won 67 features, Tom Reffner in 1975 won 67 features. Reffner had quick time in 75 81 out of 116 ran, impressive.

Late Model Mark
    Mark, those numbers are incredibly gaudy, and I don't mean that in a bad way. The season totals you sight took place a little before my time but there are fans and competitors in our area who watched and raced against both those guys back in the day and most of them say those numbers will most likely never be equaled.

There are 2 famous asphalt short tracks near where we're located. Both Trickle and Reffner raced often at those 2 tracks along with a couple of asphalt tracks that are long gone now. Later in both those guys' careers they still frequently raced near us but I must sadly admit that, being primarily a drag racing participant and a dirt track fan, I never got to watch either in competition. I got to watch Trickle in person when he was running NASCAR but that was it.

CIRF means well. I will give him that.

Once again not dirt but I have a story about Trickle. I had read about him for a number of years in the early 70's including that monster 72 season in National Speed Sport News and other weeklies of the day.

My close track, that flat 1/4mi. gem, Saugus Speedway had a year ender called the "330." It was 2 features of 150 laps each with separate payoffs, and a 30-lap consolation event. In the 70's in California at the time for pavement, $2000-to-win for 150 laps was very stout. The race would get the absolute best Late Model pavement guys in the West and a few would "trickle" in from the Mid-West and other parts.

Saugus as quoted by Bobby Allison as saying y'all got the flattest flat track I've ever seen, it was but very competitive as well. Dave Watson from Wisconsin during the tracks run and win. So did Trickle.

Most of the time for the races I would get there about a hour before start time. When the end of season race, the 330 ran, I was there at 10:00am. to get a front row lawn chair seat between turns 1 & 2. Why? Because the practice sessions that ran from about 11:00am until 3ish were some of the most intense action of the year with all the heavy hitters. Then time trials went down for the 70 to 80 cars, just to make the show was something. Trickle made a fan out of me. Great stuff.

Late Model Mark

Saugus was advertised as a 1/3 mile, not a 1/4 as Mark remembered and it was beyond flat. If you lost a radiator at the end of the backstretch the water ran to the outside of the track.

Allison ran there on a few occasions when in SoCal for the Riverside and Ontario Cup races, always in loaner cars. I remember his first trip there in a '57 Chevy that rarely, if ever, got out of the semis. He ran 2 practice laps then set fast time and won the 40 lap feature. He also showed up at Orange Show in San Berdoo and even made one race at Ascot, and was surprised it was dirt, which he didn't care for.

Very few non Saugus regulars won there with the exceptions of those Mark mentioned. Reffner never won there but ran very well as did Mike Miller and Larry Detjens, other Wisconsin hotshots. Missouri's best, Larry Phillips did win there also.

I only missed 2 opening nights in my 25 years living in the area due to working way out of state and when it closed in 1995 it was a double shock to my system as my new home track, Ernie Purcell Speedway in Grass Valley, CA closed the same year.

GREAT stuff guys!!

OverT I well know it was advertised as a 3rd, measured by some Santa Clarita officials, the inside line was well under a 3rd, closer to a 1/4.

When I first went there about mid 1964, they had such great racing, Joe Volkhomer, the announcer could make grass grow exciting. They had a class named the LSD racers.

In the mid to late 60's, 2 guys stood out for me. "Steady" Eddie Gray with Galpin Ford livery on the side and Frank Deiny in that lavender convertible.

The mid 70 Outlaw Late Models, they called "em Modified"s were wicked fast. Monza's, Camaros's and other makes, some with Big Blocks and nitrous oxide. The were something.

When I first went to Saugus it was really out in the sticks. Good stuff.

Late Model Mark..sorry for a little off topic pavement stuff.

The mid 70 Outlaw Late Models, they called "em Modified"s were wicked fast. Monza's, Camaros's and other makes, some with Big Blocks and nitrous oxide. The were something.
    Monza's with big blocks and nitrous?!!! Those things must have rattled peoples' fillings out of their teeth when they went by! LOL!

Oh did they pound the ground, there were a couple that come to mind, "roarin" Oren Prosser, Dan Press, and Jim Robinson has a those beasts. Throw in the huge tires, big spoilers made those things sick fast.

LMM

Kyle Larson won his 45th tonight. This time he was driving a winged 360 at Arizona Speedway!

5 different types of racecars Larson has driven to victory this season.

Rumble young man rumble!!

He is so good that I believe he could hop into a 358 or BB Modified and win. Slide into a Oswego style or ISMA Super Modified and win. Go to the Snowball and win.

LMM

He is so good that I believe he could hop into a 358 or BB Modified and win. Slide into a Oswego style or ISMA Super Modified and win. Go to the Snowball and win.

LMM
    I believe your are correct, Mark.

Larson won the first race he ever qualified for driving cars similar to what they race at the Snowball Derby. It was at New Smyrna Speedway in the early days of Speedweek's back in 2012 or 2013.

Anyone who is a race fan, especially a dirt race fan, Larson's 2020 season is something to be enjoyed and marveled regardless of what kind of racecars are you favorite. It's historic beyond anything most of us ever imagined possible.

He is so good that I believe he could hop into a 358 or BB Modified and win. Slide into a Oswego style or ISMA Super Modified and win. Go to the Snowball and win. LMM
    I’d love to see him at the Snowball this week.

Once again not dirt but I have a story about Trickle. I had read about him for a number of years in the early 70's including that monster 72 season in National Speed Sport News and other weeklies of the day.

My close track, that flat 1/4mi. gem, Saugus Speedway had a year ender called the "330." It was 2 features of 150 laps each with separate payoffs, and a 30-lap consolation event. In the 70's in California at the time for pavement, $2000-to-win for 150 laps was very stout. The race would get the absolute best Late Model pavement guys in the West and a few would "trickle" in from the Mid-West and other parts.

Saugus as quoted by Bobby Allison as saying y'all got the flattest flat track I've ever seen, it was but very competitive as well. Dave Watson from Wisconsin during the tracks run and win. So did Trickle.

Most of the time for the races I would get there about a hour before start time. When the end of season race, the 330 ran, I was there at 10:00am. to get a front row lawn chair seat between turns 1 & 2. Why? Because the practice sessions that ran from about 11:00am until 3ish were some of the most intense action of the year with all the heavy hitters. Then time trials went down for the 70 to 80 cars, just to make the show was something. Trickle made a fan out of me. Great stuff.

Late Model Mark
    Do you happen to remember when Trickle raced at Saugus? I tried to find some old results, etc to see when he raced there and couldn't find any for Trickle there.

I forgot to mention that Steve Kinser won 57 A-Mains with the WoO one season, think it was 87.

LMM

I forgot to mention that Steve Kinser won 57 A-Mains with the WoO one season, think it was 87.

LMM
    Very impressive numbers for The King, to be sure. Steve was dam good in the wingless sprint cars. IIRC Steve won some USAC Sprint Car A-main's and a USAC Silver Crown race at Eldora during one of the early 4 Crown events there.